Author Topic: Arches National Park loses one.  (Read 1879 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Arches National Park loses one.
« on: August 11, 2008, 07:48:01 AM »
Arches National Park lost one of it's most popular arches.  Wall Arch has collapsed last week, ending the natural cycle that began with a chunk of stone, a trickle of water, and a whisp of wind.

I notice the article is careful to include the park's statement that "they all fall after a while".  Even with that, any bets on how long it takes the eco-nutters to blame it on global warming?

Brad

From Fox News...

ARCHES NATIONAL PARK, Utah   One of the largest and most photographed stone arches in Arches National Park in the U.S. has collapsed.

Wall Arch fell sometime late Monday or early Tuesday, though no one has reported seeing it collapse, said Paul Henderson, the park's chief of interpretation.

He said the arch, located along the popular Devils Garden Trail, was claimed by forces that will eventually destroy other arches in the park: gravity and erosion.

"They all let go after a while," he said Friday. Nevertheless, it was the first collapse major arch in the park since nearby Landscape Arch fell in 1991.

For years, Wall Arch had been a favorite stopping point for photographers. Like others, it was formed by entrada sandstone being whittled over time into its distinctive formation.

Measuring more than 33 feet tall and 71 feet across, Wall Arch ranked 12th in size among the park's estimated 2,000 arches. It was first reported and named in 1948.

Rock fall from the remaining arms of the arch has forced the closure of a portion of the trail. Henderson said it would reopen when it was deemed safe and debris had been cleared.

Officials from the National Park Service and the Utah Geological Survey visited the site Thursday, noting stress fractures in the remaining formation.

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Arches National Park loses one.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:56:33 AM »
Global warming!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:57:30 AM »
Does anyone know fistful's wherabouts on the aforementioned date?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 08:42:18 AM »
It is Bush's fault.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:47:27 AM »
It was the HAARP vibrations.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »
Here, the bitter humor was that the Old Man of the Mountain fell down because the liberals were invading and ruining the state and he didn't want to see it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »
One of my co-agents just overheard me talking about the collapse.  He piped right up and said, "A fallen arch?  May a Dr. Scholls would help..."

Argh.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »
One of my co-agents just overheard me talking about the collapse.  He piped right up and said, "A fallen arch?  May a Dr. Scholls would help..."

Argh.

Brad

Murder him, it is allowed in extreme circumstances such as this.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »
Hey, we lost another turret off Castle Rock on the Pictured Rocks Lakeshore a year or two back.  Personally, I blame vibrations from all the jetskis.  laugh