Author Topic: Gone Fishin'  (Read 507 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Gone Fishin'
« on: September 13, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Well actually, just got back from four days of flyfishing in the Eastern Sierra. Flyfishing there is the absolute best "recharge" I can give my body. Nothing like serenely floating around in the float tube in between hauling in fish. After the first hour in the float tube, I'm at my most relaxed state of the entire year. Smiley

Fished Lake Crowley, which for those who know it is one of the flyfishing meccas this time of year (barbless hook, no keepers under 18") and of special memory for me since three years ago I caught a Sage XP rod with a Galvan reel attached to it, street value $600. Fishing was kinda weird this year (the lake is way low right now so maybe that's part of it -- definitely needed 4x4 to get to some of my favorite "float tube launch" points) -- everyone was bunched up in one part of the lake, and on my way out to the good fishing spot, each day I caught a bass of all things on a wooly bugger. Didn't even know the darn lake had bass until this year! Mostly just caught little guys, not that many and no big lunkers as I normally do there, but like I said, just the floating is fun.  laugh

Also hit Rush Creek and the lower Owens River, which are always good for a little purist dry fly fishing.

This year for the first time I went up to Saddlebag Lake, which is at the Tioga Pass, just outside of Yosemite National Park. Saddlebag is mostly Power-baiters, but they have this neat ferry that for $10 gives you a round trip ride to the back of the lake. From there, you can hike the easy "20 Lakes Basin" and hit a bunch of little lakes with lots of wild trout. I started off using a streamer called a "Kelly Bundy" that was recommended to me, and was getting fish every third or so cast. I ended up getting bored of that and switched to floating line and an Elk Hair Caddis, and was still catching fish every third or so cast. Highly recommend to any of you fly fishers. Also cool is that the ferry is dog friendly ($4 round trip) so the pooch is coming with me next time, and it's in National Forest land, so it's okay to pack heat. Backpacking possibilities too -- getting below freezing with chance of snow this time of year, but no Summer crowds.

Anyways, just had to share. I'm actually thinking of taking a few days off and going back again before Trout Season ends in the next month, especially if I can get to Saddleback before the Tioga Pass closes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."