Author Topic: Julian Castro will be the 2016 Democrat candidate for President  (Read 2344 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Julian Castro will be the 2016 Democrat candidate for President
« on: December 12, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
An interesting analysis I found in a thread discussing Elizabeth Warren's chances against Hillary in 2016. Makes a coherent argument if you ask me.

He's young, Latino, "under the radar" as a politician nationally., and a "rising star" in the party (cough, gag, etc.). You might remember that he was the one chosen to preside over the controversial change from removing "God" from the DNCs platform, to inserting it back in by a voice vote that wasn't quite legitimate if you ask me. That "vote" was a PR stunt for damage control purposes only, but just the right amount of exposure. He was one of the keynote speakers at the convention, and I doubt if that was an accident.

The power brokers in the party like pols like him, because he isn't in the spotlight like Hilldog and Warren have been, and doesn't have a lot of baggage for an election campaign (not a "re-election" campaign where the incumbent has the advantage). He's "undamaged goods" as far as the campaign consultants are concerned.

He's to the left of both Hillary and Warren, and he has "executive" experience. The party faithful will be all over him, and the DNC is betting on his ethnicity to motivate the Latino voting block.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Julian Castro will be the 2016 Democrat candidate for President
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »
I agree that he's in the longer-term pipeline, but I think 2016 is too soon. Admit it or not, he's too close to the shadow of Obama to have a shot for another cycle or two. (Then again, I'm a mid-level state bureaucrat and not the political consultant I might have been, so YMMV...)

Historical footnote: He and brother Joaquin rotated through my office as interns in the late 90's before law school. Plans were being laid back then.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »
I agree that he's in the longer-term pipeline, but I think 2016 is too soon. Admit it or not, he's too close to the shadow of Obama to have a shot for another cycle or two. (Then again, I'm a mid-level state bureaucrat and not the political consultant I might have been, so YMMV...)

Historical footnote: He and brother Joaquin rotated through my office as interns in the late 90's before law school. Plans were being laid back then.

Tell me more...

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:16:31 PM »
Imagine in the next 35 years or so we will be voting on candidates that were grown in a lab some where and been groomed to be president from birth.  They will not have any parents, just donors, so there will be no baggage and all they will do for their entire lives is live and breath to become president.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »

Since they're still not hiding out under assumed names in some third world country, is it safe to say your plans failed?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
Tell me more...

No sinister Manchurian Candidate surprises, simply that it was obvious they were planning, and being groomed by the Democratic establishment, to follow on the trail blazed by San Antonio icon Henry Cisneros.

I doubt they were the only Stanford grads looking for government internships, but they were the ones who got plum rotations in a variety of visible or politically sensitive departments. Every educational decision and social function attended was calculated with the end goal of elective office.

I was most of the same cynicrealist then I am today, and I had a number of conversations with Joaquin. He actually made a (mostly) joke about me running his first Congressional campaign. This was 1998-ish.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
Since they're still not hiding out under assumed names in some third world country, is it safe to say your plans failed?

Plans on their part, not mine. My lack of stomach for that game put paid to any ambitions I had early on.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »
Imagine in the next 35 years or so we will be voting on candidates that were grown in a lab some where and been groomed to be president from birth.  They will not have any parents, just donors, so there will be no baggage and all they will do for their entire lives is live and breath to become president.

I'll bet they'd still be more likeable and charismatic than Romney.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 03:48:35 PM »

That's not what we have now?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 04:22:14 PM »
I'll bet they'd still be more likeable and charismatic than Romney.

Plant a pine tree today, cut it down in 35 years and fashion it into a fence post- it'll still be more charismatic and likable.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
I thought Cisneros was corrupt and.......oh nevermind. 

No sinister Manchurian Candidate surprises, simply that it was obvious they were planning, and being groomed by the Democratic establishment, to follow on the trail blazed by San Antonio icon Henry Cisneros.

I doubt they were the only Stanford grads looking for government internships, but they were the ones who got plum rotations in a variety of visible or politically sensitive departments. Every educational decision and social function attended was calculated with the end goal of elective office.

I was most of the same cynicrealist then I am today, and I had a number of conversations with Joaquin. He actually made a (mostly) joke about me running his first Congressional campaign. This was 1998-ish.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
Plant a pine tree today, cut it down in 35 years and fashion it into a fence post- it'll still be more charismatic and likable.

And yet still better qualified for the job than the current place holder.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »
I thought Cisneros was corrupt and.......oh nevermind. 

I don't think Cisneros was any more corrupt than usual. His main problem was SWS-Slick Willie Syndrome.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 07:41:13 PM »
Castro?   Castro?     :O   An AMERICAN president named Castro? :facepalm:

Does Julian Castro like Cuban cigars? [tinfoil] ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »
Next thing you know we'll elect someone named Hussein.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 12:27:26 AM »
Next thing you know we'll elect someone named Hussein.

Where have you been for the past 6 years? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »
The solution is easy, my friends.  Write me in on the ballot in 2016.  I will take good care of all of yin'z. :angel:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »
Where have you been for the past 6 years? [tinfoil]

Balog was in Hawaii. No Kenya. No Indonesia.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 11:40:17 PM »
The solution is easy, my friends.  Write me in on the ballot in 2016.  I will take good care of all of yin'z. :angel:

I think I'd rather vote for you over anyone else who appears to be preparing to run for the oval office in either the R or D party these days ... ...  ;)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 03:47:50 AM »
 [popcorn]

Should be a good show from both sides. Elizabeth Warren looks to warming up for a run. She of fauxcahantas claim to Indian heritage. Of course the stupid party will probably let the mainstream media pick their candidate again. Probably Christy or Jeb.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
I think I'd rather vote for you over anyone else who appears to be preparing to run for the oval office in either the R or D party these days ...

I think I'd probably vote for a 55 gallon barrel of rabid weasels over most of them.

If nothing else, it would make the inauguration more interesting.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
I think I'd probably vote for a 55 gallon barrel of rabid weasels over most of them.

If nothing else, it would make the inauguration more interesting.

If you really wanted fun, then upon completion of inauguration oaths ....

...RELEASE THE WEASELS!!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 01:32:24 PM »
[popcorn]

Should be a good show from both sides. Elizabeth Warren looks to warming up for a run. She of fauxcahantas claim to Indian heritage. Of course the stupid party will probably let the mainstream media pick their candidate again. Probably Christy or Jeb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1XpAD8auCY
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if both parties don't just get together and place one of each on the ticket, D for President/R for VP and then R for President/D for VP.

Same names just different order. [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!