Author Topic: New York DA Forces Staff to Forgo Second Amendment Rights  (Read 4686 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
New York DA Forces Staff to Forgo Second Amendment Rights
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150925/witless-for-the-prosecution-new-york-da-forces-staff-to-forgo-second-amendment-rights

Madeline Singas, Acting District Attorney for Nassau County, New York, is a hypocrite. Worse, she is willing to gamble with the lives and safety of her staff and their families for her own perceived political benefit. While claiming “a commitment to justice, compassion, and integrity” and boasting about keeping “more vulnerable people safe,” she enforces a policy of mandatory disarmament amongst the attorneys who put their own safety on the line to administer justice in her jurisdiction. On Monday, Prof. Eugene Volokh broke the story that the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office bars prosecutors from having handguns, even at home.

According to Prof. Volokh, Singas’s Office justified the policy as follows: “Our practice of asking prosecutors to not possess handguns is to ensure the safety and comfort of staff, victims, and witnesses, and is consistent with other district attorney’s offices in the New York City metropolitan area.”

Read the rest of the article.  If I was a prosecutor in that office, I believe I would be finding another gig.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: New York DA Forces Staff to Forgo Second Amendment Rights
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
Lawsuit in 3.2.......
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »
Not that much different than what the private sector is doing to millions of workers, except it is the .gov.

stay ssafe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
Notice the work "asking".   It sounds voluntary to me.  (don't ask, don't tell)
"It's good, though..."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:40:14 PM »
On Monday, Prof. Eugene Volokh broke the story that the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office bars prosecutors from having handguns, even at home.

Isn't this highly illegal?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 03:20:01 PM »
Most prosecutor's offices hire attorneys on an "at-will" employment basis, which means that the employment can be terminated at the will of the elected official.  Which means that if the boss doesn't want you to own a gun, and you do anyways, you can be fired.  Not a 2A issue, as the 2A only protects the right to possess, not the right to continued employment.  So, if you want the job, you make the choice.  Same if the prosecutor used his 1A rights to express that drugs should be legalized, and the elected DA could fire for that statement.

(Note, I don't think this is morally right, but it is legal.  And as a former prosecutor, I wouldn't do the job without having firearms.  Too many enemies made along the way...)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:40:15 PM »
Most prosecutor's offices hire attorneys on an "at-will" employment basis, which means that the employment can be terminated at the will of the elected official.  Which means that if the boss doesn't want you to own a gun, and you do anyways, you can be fired.  Not a 2A issue, as the 2A only protects the right to possess, not the right to continued employment.  So, if you want the job, you make the choice.  Same if the prosecutor used his 1A rights to express that drugs should be legalized, and the elected DA could fire for that statement.

(Note, I don't think this is morally right, but it is legal.  And as a former prosecutor, I wouldn't do the job without having firearms.  Too many enemies made along the way...)

Perhaps the DA *wants* a few prosecutors to get killed, to kick-off a new Tough On Crimeâ„¢ campaign.  (I'm pretty sure it's been done before)  She has her sights on Attorney General; the lives of a few peons is a small price to pay.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:45:41 PM »
A whole lot of DAs use that position as a stepping stone to other political office.  Sounds more like this DA is setting up a run for other offices by courting favor from the anti/liberal side of the aisle. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 04:16:52 PM »
Not that much different than what the private sector is doing to millions of workers, except it is the .gov.

stay ssafe.

Except private employers can only fire you.  I'd be real concerned about legal ramifications of ignoring her orders were I an employee under her.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »

I'd honestly be fine with giving up my 2A rights if I was given appropriate compensation. Say enough to hire a full fire team 24/7/365, appropriate air support and enough cash to cover emotional compensation. Kidding, but more seriously, I'd give up my 2A rights in exchange for reasonable full time body guards. This isn't unusual actually. I know of a couple of CEOs who essentially give up their right to drive in exchange for a driver. The risk of the CEO running over a child or puppy (or DUI) is orders of magnitude more expensive to the company than a driver making $50k/yr.

What are the limits, if any, of uncompensated personal time restrictions an employer can make on employees? No dating members of another race? Or no engaging in specific sexual acts? Or automatic firing if they're caught watching soccer? Obviously, there are limits. Employers generally cannot demand sexual acts in exchange for employment.

I'm not doubting that you're legally correct, just curious of the limits, if any exist.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 07:42:39 PM »
Rev, I honestly don't know where the line is these days.  I know that tobacco bans have been upheld.  I know some terminations for "immoral" behavior (hookers, swinging, dope), or conduct which rwflwcts poorly on the employer (Klan membership).  I recall cases where supporting political candidates has stood up as valid basis for terminating "at will" employees in politically related offices.  Hell, it's almost standard practice around here for a newly elected prosecutor to fire all of the supervisors and senior attorneys to make way for their own people.

As an aside, rumor has it a neighboring county prosecutor has made is known that an application for a CCW permit will be viewed as a letter of resignation.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »
Sometimes I think we all should have the right to walk up to certain people and be able to punch them right in the face. :angel:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 08:00:24 AM »
Rev, I honestly don't know where the line is these days.  I know that tobacco bans have been upheld.  I know some terminations for "immoral" behavior (hookers, swinging, dope), or conduct which rwflwcts poorly on the employer (Klan membership).  I recall cases where supporting political candidates has stood up as valid basis for terminating "at will" employees in politically related offices.  Hell, it's almost standard practice around here for a newly elected prosecutor to fire all of the supervisors and senior attorneys to make way for their own people.

As an aside, rumor has it a neighboring county prosecutor has made is known that an application for a CCW permit will be viewed as a letter of resignation.

I know that tobacco bans have been upheld based on premises but not to the point that an employer can prevent you from smoking in your own home.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 09:28:37 AM »
I know that tobacco bans have been upheld based on premises but not to the point that an employer can prevent you from smoking in your own home.

I know that a few companies are doing tobacco testing along with drug testing, with employment contingent on clean tests for both.  This isn't a new story, but Google found this quickly so I'll link to it:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/story/2012-01-03/health-care-jobs-no-smoking/52394782/1

Article about bans on tobacco use both during the work day and during off hours.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »
I know that a few companies are doing tobacco testing along with drug testing, with employment contingent on clean tests for both.  This isn't a new story, but Google found this quickly so I'll link to it:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/story/2012-01-03/health-care-jobs-no-smoking/52394782/1

Article about bans on tobacco use both during the work day and during off hours.

I would imagine that private employment vs public employment, the employer has more rights in the private sector.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 10:34:37 AM »
I know from anecdotal evidence that the tobacco thing is really common among Firefighters/Paramedics around here. That's at least one (set of) .gov agencies doing it.  I've heard that some of the local LE agencies are making no tobacco use (on or off duty) part of the contract for new hires as well.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »
I know from anecdotal evidence that the tobacco thing is really common among Firefighters/Paramedics around here. That's at least one (set of) .gov agencies doing it.  I've heard that some of the local LE agencies are making no tobacco use (on or off duty) part of the contract for new hires as well.

Might as well add alcohol to the list also. :facepalm:

As for tobacco most LEO's I know smoke and/or dip.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »
I know from anecdotal evidence that the tobacco thing is really common among Firefighters/Paramedics around here. That's at least one (set of) .gov agencies doing it.  I've heard that some of the local LE agencies are making no tobacco use (on or off duty) part of the contract for new hires as well.
What about steroids? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
What about steroids? 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
<takes breath>
Hahahahahahaha!

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 04:58:48 PM »
If I was a prosecutor in that office, I believe I would be finding another gig.

Legal gigs are very hard to find right now and you'd be impressed at the rationalizations attorneys can come up with.  

I actually have a friend in the office.  <see above>
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 09:05:05 PM »
The story about the NY DA demanding that assistant DAs not own handguns - even at home - reminded about G. Gordon Liddy, who as a convicted felon, cannot own a firearm.

I understand Mrs. Liddy has a very nice gun collection.   >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »

I don't know of any private sector employer who even attempts to prohibit employees from keeping firearms at home.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »
The story about the NY DA demanding that assistant DAs not own handguns - even at home - reminded about G. Gordon Liddy, who as a convicted felon, cannot own a firearm.

I understand Mrs. Liddy has a very nice gun collection.   >:D

I realize you're joking, but am wondering if that wouldn't both hold up legally and be non-punishable by the employer. How can they force your work obligations / contracts on other members of your household?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
I realize you're joking, but am wondering if that wouldn't both hold up legally and be non-punishable by the employer. How can they force your work obligations / contracts on other members of your household?

No, he's not joking;  Mrs. Liddy HAS a very very nice gun collection.  :cool:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 11:42:11 PM »
No, he's not joking;  Mrs. Liddy HAS a very very nice gun collection.  :cool:

I'm old, I know the story. :P

I was referring to the tie-in to the OP.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."