Author Topic: New York DA Forces Staff to Forgo Second Amendment Rights  (Read 4685 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: New York DA Forces Staff to Forgo Second Amendment Rights
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 11:52:20 PM »
I realize you're joking, but am wondering if that wouldn't both hold up legally and be non-punishable by the employer. How can they force your work obligations / contracts on other members of your household?
Exactly.

I understand when some CO at a military base demanded that any guns owned by service members and their families be registered with the military even when they lived off base, extending the order to soldier's families was one of the things that caused a massive backlash - and the CO was schooled in the limits of his authority. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 09:30:17 AM »
I realize you're joking, but am wondering if that wouldn't both hold up legally and be non-punishable by the employer. How can they force your work obligations / contracts on other members of your household?

Interesting thought I hadn't considered.  In my job, I am bound by the Code of Judicial Conduct, which prohibits me from publicly supporting a political candidate.  A while back, some judicial types got in trouble with the Disciplinary Counsel because of yard signs for candidates that the spouse put up.  Ruling was that the spouse still enjoys 1A freedoms that the judicial type forgoes for the job, so yard signs can stay so long as the property is owner by the spouse or jointly owned.  If it wasn't NYC, where a spouse probably can't get permission to own a handgun in the first place, this would be an interesting argument on the issue.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »

While I suspect employers can't legally order family members to do anything, I highly suspect they can legally fire you for the actions of family members. The smarter ones just don't give a reason for termination, or use a BS excuse.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »
While I suspect employers can't legally order family members to do anything, I highly suspect they can legally fire you for the actions of family members. The smarter ones just don't give a reason for termination, or use a BS excuse.

QFT.  The smart ones just send you on your way.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 12:43:27 PM »
Isn't it pretty common for prosecutors to carry sidearms, at least while on the job? Having your spouse's guns at home wouldn't be quite the same. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
Isn't it pretty common for prosecutors to carry sidearms, at least while on the job? Having your spouse's guns at home wouldn't be quite the same. 

Truly depends on the rules of the office and the individual.  There are some offices that forbid carry by the assistants.  Some do so because of concerns for liability.  Some do so because of politics.  Some do so because they're just dumb.  And, in offices where it's permitted, it's always at the discretion of the individual.  At our office, it was at the choice of the individual, provided the individual could pass qualifying (which was never that difficult, and a fun day out of the office).  For me, it was never a question.  I carried because I knew I was pissing people off every day, and wanted to be able to protect myself if someone acted on that.  Some people live their lives with the thought that it won'rt happen to them.  I never thought that way, so I made my decision.  And, because of one incident back in 2001, I've never regretted that decision.

I tired to find it, but failed.  Years ago, there was an article that I read about a guy who was appointed as the prosecutor in one Ohio county.  Article made a point of talking about the guy's John Wayne cardboard figure in his office, and the gun he wore on his hip.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »
And, because of one incident back in 2001, I've never regretted that decision.

If you haven't shared that here, would you mind doing so?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »

If you haven't shared that here, would you mind doing so?

I was an assistant prosecutor at the time, primary assignment was the child abuse team.  I had taken my son (then age one) to a check-up, and stopped for gas.  Truck pulled in next to me, up to the pump parallel to the one I was using.  Guy climbed out, and I recognized him right away as the grandfather of a mother I prosecuted in a child abuse case.  She went to prison, and in the parallel case, the kids were placed with foster family for adoption.    I'm next to my pump, my car was between us, my son was on the back seat passenger side (gas fill was on the passenger side of the car, too).  Car was a 1995 Chevy Beretta.  Anyways, he climbed out, reached in the bed of the truck, pulled out a pipe, and said in what I remember to be a frighteningly calm voice "you took my family from me, how about I take yours?"  I pulled my handgun.  Smith and Wesson 649 Bodyguard, Uncle Mike's grip.  Bianchi leather holster.  Ammo was the only kind I carried back then, Federal Hydra-shok, +P, 129 grain.  I didn't aim at him.  I had it in two hand, pointed down towards the trunk of my car.  But he saw it.  I remember him saying "ahh *expletive deleted*it" before turning, throwing the pipe back in the truck, and driving away fast.  I finished up and drove to the police station, talked to a detective friend and made an incident report, but filed no charges.  Why?  Wasn't worth stirring things up more for a misdemeanor charge since he didn't do more than make a threat, especially since he would have been handed my address in the discovery packet. 

I've maintained a weapon nearby ever since.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
I was an assistant prosecutor at the time, primary assignment was the child abuse team.  I had taken my son (then age one) to a check-up, and stopped for gas.  Truck pulled in next to me, up to the pump parallel to the one I was using.  Guy climbed out, and I recognized him right away as the grandfather of a mother I prosecuted in a child abuse case.  She went to prison, and in the parallel case, the kids were placed with foster family for adoption.    I'm next to my pump, my car was between us, my son was on the back seat passenger side (gas fill was on the passenger side of the car, too).  Car was a 1995 Chevy Beretta.  Anyways, he climbed out, reached in the bed of the truck, pulled out a pipe, and said in what I remember to be a frighteningly calm voice "you took my family from me, how about I take yours?"  I pulled my handgun.  Smith and Wesson 649 Bodyguard, Uncle Mike's grip.  Bianchi leather holster.  Ammo was the only kind I carried back then, Federal Hydra-shok, +P, 129 grain.  I didn't aim at him.  I had it in two hand, pointed down towards the trunk of my car.  But he saw it.  I remember him saying "ahh *expletive deleted*it" before turning, throwing the pipe back in the truck, and driving away fast.  I finished up and drove to the police station, talked to a detective friend and made an incident report, but filed no charges.  Why?  Wasn't worth stirring things up more for a misdemeanor charge since he didn't do more than make a threat, especially since he would have been handed my address in the discovery packet. 

Well played.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 01:00:40 AM »

I was wonderin'. The improvised weapon suggests it was a random meeting. Did you ever find out whether he had somehow followed you there, or if it was just a coincidence?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »

I was wonderin'. The improvised weapon suggests it was a random meeting. Did you ever find out whether he had somehow followed you there, or if it was just a coincidence?

I agree.  That day, my wife got sick, so I was a last minute change to take my son to the doctor.  I believe coincidence out us at that gas station at the same time.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)