Author Topic: Minor police encounter last night  (Read 1970 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Minor police encounter last night
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 07:04:38 AM »
I don't disagree.  I am beginning to get a bit tired of the attitude shown is all.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 07:05:37 AM »
Same here, at least from the stories I hear.  Haven't had any such problems myself. 

HForrest

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 11:47:17 AM »
Yeah, I understand it wasn't the best place to be at that time, which is why I would understand some scrutiny or questions from the police. I just think I was treated in an inappropriately rude fashion, and didn't deserve the light in my face.

It was a minor crime, and the cops had been there for a good while before I walked by on the sidewalk, so I didn't feel like I was interfering with anything.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 04:32:41 PM »
Yeah, I understand it wasn't the best place to be at that time, which is why I would understand some scrutiny or questions from the police. I just think I was treated in an inappropriately rude fashion, and didn't deserve the light in my face.

It was a minor crime, and the cops had been there for a good while before I walked by on the sidewalk, so I didn't feel like I was interfering with anything.

I'll preface this by saying

"I'm not a cop. I've never been a cop"

That said, I used to want to be a cop, got a degree in CJ, and attended a police academy that qualified my to be hired as a cop (in a fairly big government/big legal training required state) with no more required training than that which the hiring department wanted to give me. As such, I think I have as much insight into cop attitudes, behaviors and the right and wrong of police behavior as anybody that hasn't been a cop.

From your original post, assuming you are reporting accurately and truthfully, I derive that the police officer who confronted you is rude, unneccesarily antagonistic, and a danger to herself as well as to people she encounters.

IMHO, this is common, but by no means the majority. I think it's especially common in areas or from police officers who have the majority of their encounters with the public to be your basic vermin that you see if you watch "cops".

Again, from your account, she started out by denigrating you by using the kind of language you use with a problematic child, rather than the language/tone that a public servant should use with the adult public, absent an imminent threat. She followed that up by maintaining her flashlight beam in a direction that was both uncomfortable for you, and dangerous for her. IE, your face. After looking at your face carefully, she should have lowered her flash beam to your waist and kept an eye on your hands while she conducted her interview of you.

I recommend a letter to her boss. If she gets her attitude from her boss, this will be useless, but I think the majority of police bosses in this country would not condone this behavior.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"