Author Topic: Working out and breathing..  (Read 1311 times)

Working out and breathing..
« on: December 14, 2006, 04:45:58 PM »
I get out of breath too easy. How do I fix this?

I'm in decent shape overall, I'd say for a woman heading fast towards 40..exercise a few times a week, can walk 10 miles or so, climb stairs, whatever I need to.

But I can't breath when I work out hard..that's why I can't run, which I want to do..I get about 1/16 of a mile and I'm all out of breath..same thing when I spar. I can do a few rounds but by the time I get done, I'm gasping for breath..

I smoked for a long time but I quit 6 years ago..and this has always been a problem for me.

Is it a threshold thing, and I just haven't reached it yet? Any suggestions on improving it?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Working out and breathing..
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:53:25 PM »
When I get back into physical exercise aftera hiatus, it takes me a few weeks to build up the respiratory endurance back to "normal" levels.  My cardio is running, so I'll run for a 1/4 mile, walk a 100 yards or so, run another 1/4 mile, walk, etc, etc. After a few weeks of that, the walking has been reduced to a cool down post run.

You may want to see a physician about your issues, if you've not already.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

SomeKid

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 05:06:34 PM »
You never mention if this is recent, or if this has been your threshold your entire life.

I am a nursing student, and if you want I will be glad to practice on you, but you would need a chat program like ventrillo, or skype (unless you are comfortable with me calling you, I do get 'free' long distance) to cut out all the blasted typing. In fact, get one and let me know, I have learned that practice is my friend. Thankfully, I passed the class easily, but added practice can't hurt.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 05:23:29 PM »
Sounds like it could be exercise -induced asthma. Is there a history of COPD in your family, and have you ever had a simple blood test for alpha-1 antitrypsin levels?

You're a non-smoker, right?

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Ron

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 07:20:44 PM »
What I don't understand is how I can backpack with 45 pounds on my back for a week and not experience discomfort (after the initial shock) but I get out of breath going up three flights of stairs.

Like Barbara I quit smoking years ago.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 12:45:27 AM »
Run till you're out of breath, walk it off, repeat. Eventually you should see longer spells between needing to walk. I'm not going to lie to you though. Once you've been a smoker for a while I don't think you can ever get back to the levels you could once attain, the damage has been done. Just my opinion though.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 01:30:26 AM »
I've never been able to breath well..we'll see..I'll try running again this spring. I'm too much of a slug to be both cold and out of breath. Smiley

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 02:26:20 AM »
My buddy, rough, tough as blue collar as they get, beer, NASCAR, you name it, swears by Denise Austin. He gets up and does her work out with her every morning. I've always found that kind of funny. I got to do something myself, I just got on the scale and them pounds are creeping up again, time to start beating them down again. Damn cold weather makes me hungry plus I tend to exercise much less in the winter.  sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 03:15:35 AM »
What breathing mechanism does your style teach?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 04:57:16 AM »
In through your nose, out through your mouth.
Also, run until you can't and then walk.  catch your breath, run again.  You'll get there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 05:10:31 AM »
I have the original Tae Bo dvd.

I am huffing and puffing before the stretching portion is done, can hardly make it to the actual exercise part cheesy

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 08:33:45 AM »
WHen I'm starting to run after a hiatus, I jog slowly on a treadmill for a fairly short distance. I slowly bump up the distance in .25 mile increments, then when I can slowly jog a couple of miles with no problems I start to increase the speed by a few tenths of a mile per hour.

I am bad at pacing myself, so a treadmill is great for me.

I am naturally a crappy runner. I always need to build up to it.