Author Topic: "Useless" Boomer Skills  (Read 1621 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"Useless" Boomer Skills
« on: December 12, 2023, 11:32:09 AM »
Ten minutes of wayback machine:

https://youtu.be/bSALd6keJNo

We've covered some of these here before, but a few got me thinking.

1) I still remember our phone number (and address) from when I was a kid, as well as my best friend's number from when I was ten. I have to think about my own damn number when someone asks these days, and I have no idea what my sister's number is. Somehow I do remember my parents' last phone number, but I think they got that one just before the little Motorola tank cell phones came out.

2) Discussed here before, but bears repeating as it's an absolutely useful, if not essential skill that many of us have lost. Finding your way without Google nav. I still recall laying out maps for a trip, finding the best and alternate routes, and writing down exits, turns, etc. to have handy for the trip. Even going somewhere new in town, I would check the city map and then just remember where to go, where to turn, etc. After the first trip, I would just remember how to get to the place.

Now there are places that I go on a regular basis, and even if I've been there ten times, I still end up firing up the nav to remind me of the right exits and upcoming turns. I used to be an excellent navigator. Now I suck. I suppose being good again would be like riding a bicycle - keep the nav off and just use maps again. This is definitely not a boomer skill though - it's something everyone should be competent at as a fallback. I don't even keep local maps in my vehicle anymore though, which I should rectify. I keep downloaded maps on my phone for getting to my fishing spots and stuff, but a big paper map can be more useful than scrolling around for a big picture view.

3) The typewriter segment is more than a typewriter. The point about "doing it right the first time or else starting all over again" is valid. I was overjoyed when word processors came out, but there is something to be said for, instead of quickly but constantly correcting errors, getting your brain to focus on details and doing it right (or write) the first time. I know the difference between "there" and "their", but I constantly, in informal writing, ignore proofreading and often write them wrong. I'm pretty sure I did that much less when I was boomer writing by hand or via typewriter. Home computers didn't come out in force until after I was out of High School, so I still remember handwriting or typing long ass reports in school.

4) Using the card cabinet or "looking stuff up alphabetically" kind of threw me. I'm wondering - do young people, much like not knowing how to write cursive or how to use a rotary phone, not "think alphabetically"? I'm wondering if this is one of those "the internet and technology are rewiring brains" things.

5) Do all cars now come with power windows? I thought base stuff, like stripped work pickups, still come with manual windows.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: "Useless" Boomer Skills
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 12:11:26 PM »
My boss has a newish jeep.  It is manual everything including the windows and door locks.  He said he was a bit upset it still came with a key-fob start. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 12:16:14 PM »
I have normally been able to find my way to a place I have been before.  I didn't always memorize street names, more of a visual memory.  I guess if you are not paying attention to all the details it doesn't stick in the memory quite the same.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 12:49:46 PM »
I guess if you are not paying attention to all the details it doesn't stick in the memory quite the same.

I think that's a big part of it. With the nav, I'm generally inattentive until it says "in one mile...". When I go places without nav, for me, landmarks are a big deal. I'll remember some buildings or features along the way that tell me where I am and what's coming up next. With nav, I think I ignore landmarks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 04:09:52 PM »
Cars?  I still miss those vents in the front windows.

About two years ago I got two extra keys for my car, went to the dealer parts dept, showed my reg, gave them my key, asked for two more, about $8.00 apiece.  Heh.

Had a fender bender, insurance adjuster needed my key, gave it to him, and then he realized he didn't have to turn the car on to read the mechanical odometer. Heh.

Yes, I still remember my childhood phone number, FLushing 3-nnnn, no area code back then. Wierd because I'm getting pretty forgetful of other everyday things.  I do get lost sometimes because they seem to keep changing street names, turn directions, exit names, etc., from the ones I've been used to for years.

Oh, and I still have my draft card.  Well, they said to keep it...  Just looked at it on the 'puter.  Jeez, 158 lb.  Holy crap.

Terry... scrolls up to check his screen name... oh, yeah, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 04:33:22 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 04:46:53 PM »
Driving a manual is still a valuable skill and is still a connection to the car.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 05:45:43 PM »
I miss the Thomas map books.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 06:34:42 PM »
Driving a manual is still a valuable skill and is still a connection to the car.

My Jeep is a 6 speed manual. I don't remember a time when I didn't have at least 1 manual in the stable. I made both my kids learn how to drive a stick before I would let them get their drivers license. I also required them to be able to change a tire.

Had a kind of sad interaction with my brother on our trip to Iowa. I handed him my phone which had google maps navigation running and asked  him to check something for me. He didn't know how to use it and managed to fat finger it and shut it off. Seemed proud to tell me that he didn't use his Samsung smart phone for things like that or email or internet or fecesbook as if that made him some how superior to those of us that do. Mostly I suspect he wasn't tech savvy enough to figure it out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 08:20:03 PM »
Skills are wealth, we should accumulate as many as possible.
Form and finish concrete, frame walls and rafters, butcher an animal, start a fire in the rain, back up a trailer (try it with 2 hay wagons!), drive a manual transmission, jump start a dead battery, change a flat tire, replace a bad circuit breaker, weld anything metal, sweat copper pipe,
Read an anolog clock, read cursive writing, etc
Etc
Etc
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 08:26:09 PM »
How about using a compass?
Heck I've met people who have no idea what north, south, east, or west even are
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 08:29:57 PM »
Skills are wealth, we should accumulate as many as possible.
Form and finish concrete, frame walls and rafters, butcher an animal, start a fire in the rain, back up a trailer (try it with 2 hay wagons!), drive a manual transmission, jump start a dead battery, change a flat tire, replace a bad circuit breaker, weld anything metal, sweat copper pipe,
Read an anolog clock, read cursive writing, etc
Etc
Etc

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”
― Robert A. Heinlein
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 09:38:42 PM »

Saw a bumper sticker:  "REAL cars have THREE pedals ! :

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 09:44:08 PM »
How about using a compass?
Heck I've met people who have no idea what north, south, east, or west even are

Don't usually need a compass around here.  Mountains = West.  The problem I have is with nitty-gritty things that I mentioned.

But you're right about knowing the directions.  When I refer to my "east (or west) bedroom" some people, even other building residents, get confused.  It's pretty rare that I'm someplace I don't know where north is.

I remember some German visitors in downtown Denver all confused about directions because a large part of downtown Denver's streets are rotated about 45 degrees to follow the river instead of N-E-S-W streets  I helped them out with my broken German (which was a lot better in those days) and they were very grateful when I got their map oriented with the geography.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 09:58:21 PM by 230RN »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2023, 11:10:50 PM »
Don't usually need a compass around here.  Mountains = West.  The problem I have is with nitty-gritty things that I mentioned.

But you're right about knowing the directions.  When I refer to my "east (or west) bedroom" some people, even other building residents, get confused.  It's pretty rare that I'm someplace I don't know where north is.

I remember some German visitors in downtown Denver all confused about directions because a large part of downtown Denver's streets are rotated about 45 degrees to follow the river instead of N-E-S-W streets  I helped them out with my broken German (which was a lot better in those days) and they were very grateful when I got their map oriented with the geography.

I have a lovely compass I always wanted and now never use. Tritium vials and all. I should be better at land nav but my mental maps are very precise yet skewed. I always did the mountain equals west thing but in the mid Atlantic piedmont it's actually southwest to northeast. Then I moved into Appalachia proper where it's mountains mountains everywhere.  I still contend that if you get lost in the eastern US Darwin wanted you dead anyway. The people are downhill and downstream. As for Google maps I love street view for the last two miles. I look before I go, the several thousand miles in between are on me to have a general sense of geography.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2023, 12:04:45 AM »

Not exactly a "manual" but the 2011 Elantra I own can side-step the gear shift and allow you to manual shift the automatic tranny.  It helps when your stuck and can keep the tranny locked into 1st or 2nd until your free - without spinning the tires.

I miss my 1982 Toyota 4WD p/u.
  =(
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2023, 07:14:35 AM »
My 2012 Subaru Forester had an auto stick. I think I used it twice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2023, 09:05:21 AM »
Saw a bumper sticker:  "REAL cars have THREE pedals ! :

My great uncle's pickup (early '50s Chevy something), had (IIRC) 4.  One was something to do with the magneto, related to starting.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2023, 09:11:19 AM »
My 67 Mustang had 4
The 4th was the windshield washer
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2023, 10:10:37 AM »
My great uncle's pickup (early '50s Chevy something), had (IIRC) 4.  One was something to do with the magneto, related to starting.

Original equipment on those had a floor button to the right of the gas pedal for the mechanical linkage for the starter.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2023, 10:18:09 AM »
Three on the tree.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2023, 10:22:33 AM »
Three on the tree.

Brad

That's how I learned to drive. My dad started me in parking lots and country roads when I was around 13. Ford F100, three on the tree, manual everything. Those old manual steering wheels were good workouts.  :laugh:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2023, 10:39:34 AM »
I originally learned to drive with a standard when I was a teenager.  These days I wouldn't mind going back to it just for the hell of it.  I don't want to get into a new truck right now, but it is tempting.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2023, 10:41:50 AM »
1) I still remember our phone number (and address) from when I was a kid, as well as my best friend's number from when I was ten.

2) Finding your way without Google nav.

3) I know the difference between "there" and "their"

4) Using the card cabinet or "looking stuff up alphabetically" kind of threw me. I'm wondering - do young people, much like not knowing how to write cursive or how to use a rotary phone, not "think alphabetically"? I'm wondering if this is one of those "the internet and technology are rewiring brains" things.

5) Do all cars now come with power windows? I thought base stuff, like stripped work pickups, still come with manual windows.

1) Same. The old rural interchange is gone now and parents are on an area interchange which went in when the system converted to fiber. For some cosmically redundant reason, I also remember the phone number from when I worked at Radio Shack. That was 35 years ago.

2) Ah, the days of gas station giveaway maps. Dad still has a bunch of them in his desk drawer, some dating back to Route 66 days. If they weren't in such awful shape they would probably be serious collectables. Up until I moved after getting married, I had a giant stack of DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteers I would spend hours poring over. Still spend that time, but it's on Google Maps.

3) Sure, but what about the difference between "he" and she"?

4) A fair number of twenty somethings are unable to do simple math without a calculator, sort without Excel, or know the relationship of cardinal directions. I see it every day.

5) At some point, it becomes more cost effective on a net basis for all vehicles in a model line to get the same mechanism even though a particular option might be significantly cheaper on a per unit basis. If only five percent of your vehicles sell with the cheaper outfitting, the cost of R&D, tooling, and production of the cheaper option outweigh the extra unit cost of universally applying the more expensive option. It also enhances overall production efficiency, streamlines logistics, and simplifies repair parts supply.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2023, 12:30:51 PM »
One nice thing about Google maps is that I was able to use on my laptop to plot our yearly trip from home to southwest Florida using old state, federal and county roads to avoid the interstate mess.  I then wrote each daily route down on notes to put in the car for reference.  I got to really enjoy our up to 3 to 4 day drive, depending how many miles i wanted to do each day..
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2023, 04:13:00 PM »

I had a car with a foot switch starter, might have been my "college car," a 1950 Plymouth.  The swtch only activated the starter solenoid coil to throw the starter into gear with the engine and then closed the heavy-duty contact from battery to starter motor. Like a big-assed relay.

Can't remember for sure which car it was.  I started with road cars* with three on the column, where reverse and first gear were in opposite positions so you could "rock" the car back and forth to break free of mud or snow or whatever.

Terry, 230RN

* I actually started with a '29 Ford pickup which we stored out on Long Island and I could drive it around the property.  I remember it had a spark advance/retard and another lever for something (idle?) on the steering column but I don't remember the shifting gear positions. That one was crank-started and had a gravity fuel feed. I don't think they were called "pickups" then, something like "station" trucks or whatev.

Talk about your pre pre pre boomer useless skills!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 04:52:14 PM by 230RN »