Author Topic: Oooh... let's go pet the pretty buffalo!  (Read 1799 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Oooh... let's go pet the pretty buffalo!
« on: June 07, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »
Or not.

Darwin Award, failed attempt...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/07/bison-gores-california-woman-at-yellowstone-national-park-officials-say.html

They've only been telling people to stay away from the wildlife for, oh, a hundred years or so.  :facepalm:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
Re: Oooh... let's go pet the pretty buffalo!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
Maybe she thought it was just a funny looking pony . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »
I love these stories. I grew up (mostly) in Lawton Oklahoma and we had a Wildlife Refuge close by that had free ranging Bufflers and Longhorn Cattle. With Ft Sill close by a lot of people who had only seen animals in pictures or zoos would go out there and figure they could get a picture with the weird cow or the Buffalo, sometimes it worked out, most of the time it didn't and there would be a couple of people getting stomped or stabbed by the wild critters a year out there.

I always gave the buffalo a wide berth and if I wanted to have anything to do with a Longhorn I went to Meers, OK and had a burger made out of one. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »

I always gave the buffalo a wide berth and if I wanted to have anything to do with a Longhorn I went to Meers, OK and had a burger made out of one. ;)

When I first married my late wife I took her on a cross-country trip so she could see some of the United States. Somewhere around Oklahoma (I think) we stopped for lunch at a roadside joint and had buffalo burgers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 07:36:55 PM »
I love these stories. I grew up (mostly) in Lawton Oklahoma and we had a Wildlife Refuge close by that had free ranging Bufflers and Longhorn Cattle. With Ft Sill close by a lot of people who had only seen animals in pictures or zoos would go out there and figure they could get a picture with the weird cow or the Buffalo, sometimes it worked out, most of the time it didn't and there would be a couple of people getting stomped or stabbed by the wild critters a year out there.

bob

Wife and I were down at the refuge about 10 years ago on the bike. Traffic came to a halt as a very large and very scraggly buffalo bull walked down the side of the narrow road. As he came even with us he stopped and gave us the hairy eyeball for a few seconds before shambling off in to the scrub brush. We were about the distance of one lane away from him with no place to go.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 07:42:37 PM »
My brother and I were tramping around the Rockies in 1982 and we spent a couple days in Yellowstone at the Lodge.  A bus load of Japanese pulled up and disembarked.  There were several buffalo grazing on the grass between the lodge and another building with a gift shop and restaurant.  The Japanese were all excited and ran up to the critters with their cameras.  Shortly thereafter one of them took a ride through the sky courtesy of one of the buffalo.

We also didn't make a good impression on one of the Rangers who was explaining Old Faithful to a large crowd.  While the large crowd was ooing and ahhing at the working of Old Faithful, my brother rather loudly exclaimed "Did you ever notice that little building over there? (pointing)  Sounds like there is a very large pump running in there and it seems to always come on when Old Faithful erupts." :rofl: :angel: :angel:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
I've had to warn people off of trying to pet the buffalo.  Last time the woman was approaching a calf with mama making warning noises.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 09:06:15 PM »
I actually DID pet a buffalo at Yellowstone as a kid. Herd was close to the road, and we approached VERY cautiously. Was neat

Same trip, there was a mama elk with a fawn: folks kept trying to get close to pet the baby. We all just shook our heads
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:31:56 PM »
grampster said,

...my brother rather loudly exclaimed "Did you ever notice that little building over there? (pointing)  Sounds like there is a very large pump running in there and it seems to always come on when Old Faithful erupts."

Sounds like me when the Boulder Amateur Radio Club used to have monthly meetings at the NIST building in Boulder, which contains THE, I say, THE atomic clock which DEFINES, I say DEFINES, time for most of the Western Hemisphere.  

They had a big display of the exact time, I say THE exact time, in the lobby and every time we went in there I'd make a big show of looking at my watch, pointing at the display, shaking my head, and mouthing "It's slow" at the guards.

In fact, I just checked it. It's three seconds slow right now.

Terry, Official NIST Keeper of the Real Honest-To-Gawd Time (Ret), 230RN

REF:
https://www.nist.gov/

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:57:13 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 10:48:39 PM »
I love these buffalo stories. I hired a fly fishing guide for 2 days in Yellowstone and had a great time. He told E he and some other vehicles were stopped waiting for a herd of bison to clear off when a big bull took some kind of offense and charged his old ford bronco with snow plow blade mounted. It hit him head on and stacked him and 2 vehicles behind him. He said he spent a whole day with a torch and welder rebuilding his plow mount frame.
I've seen them and been close enough to them several times.
When I hunted pronghorn in Wyoming we always stopped in Casper and topped off the coolers with bison meat and dry ice before driving home.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 11:45:35 PM »
I like the guys who brought a big valve wheel mounted on a stem to Old Faithful, Stuck it in the ground, checked their watches and opened the valve JUST as it erupted! Checked their watches and turned off the "valve" and the eruption subsided. They popped the valve out of the ground, got in their Jeep, and drove off leaving a very confused crowd behind.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 12:16:03 AM »
Sounds like me when the Boulder Amateur Radio Club used to have monthly meetings at the NIST building in Boulder, which contains THE, I say, THE atomic clock which DEFINES, I say DEFINES, time for most of the Western Hemisphere.  

They had a big display of the exact time, I say THE exact time, in the lobby and every time we went in there I'd make a big show of looking at my watch, pointing at the display, shaking my head, and mouthing "It's slow" at the guards.

I still want to sneak fiberglass cave formations into various show caves, and leave a few stacked off to one side, just visible from the tour route.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 11:53:15 AM »
In New Mexico, there are some buffalo herds. It's a nervous feeling getting back to your truck after working only to find a herd between you and it. My favorite way to get close to a buffalo is when it's in a hamburger bun and cooked just right.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
Went to Yellowstone a few years ago. Saw some tourists trying to pet the buffs. Also saw some delicious tourists getting as close as possible to a grizzly.

I had a Mauser in the trunk. I wouldn't have used it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »
Or not.

Darwin Award, failed attempt...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/07/bison-gores-california-woman-at-yellowstone-national-park-officials-say.html

They've only been telling people to stay away from the wildlife for, oh, a hundred years or so.  :facepalm:

Brad

Love stupid people.  Without them, I wouldn't have anything good to laugh at.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”