Author Topic: FAT32 > 4GB?  (Read 782 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
FAT32 > 4GB?
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »
I just popped in a new Verbatim thumb drive (16GB) into my Linux box.  Copied over 1.5GB of music to it, which I then transported to my work Win7 laptop.  Copied off.

Back home now, plug in that thumb drive into my personal laptop to copy some utility SQL/VBS/BAT scripts.

It won't write.

Look at its properties and it was initially formatted as FAT32.

I thought the limit on FAT32 was 4GB?

Anyways, I'm reformatting as NTFS, which my linux box can mount.

Odd.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: FAT32 > 4GB?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32

Cluster values are represented by 32-bit numbers, of which 28 bits are used to hold the cluster number. The boot sector uses a 32-bit field for the sector count, limiting the FAT32 volume size to 2 TB for sector size of 512 bytes and 16 TB for sector size of 4,096 bytes.[17][18]

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte or 4 294 967 295 (232−1) bytes. This limit is a consequence of the file length entry in the directory table and would also affect huge FAT16 partitions with a sufficient sector size.[1] Video applications, large databases, and some other software easily exceed this limit. Larger files require another filesystem.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:42:21 PM »
Anyways, I'm reformatting as NTFS, which my linux box can mount.

You should use 8 HPFS partitions instead, then set up your backup software to mirror the first one to all the others to protect your data.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:09:23 PM »
None of this data is single-sourced.

The 16GB size was chosen deliberately to give me access to several ISO files and some software installations.

Thx.  I knew 4GB was in my head for some reason.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:14:52 AM »
There's also issues with max file size in fat32

I move some 2 gig files about
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:25:41 AM »
I don't use FAT32 a whole lot because of the 4gb file ceiling. About the only reason I can think of to use it is if your storage device is below the max file limit anyway or you absolutely need the drive to be compatible between Mac and Windows systems.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth