Author Topic: RIP Dollhouse  (Read 12264 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: RIP Dollhouse
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
my take on that top 10 list:

arrested development definatly belongs there and, from what i've heard so does freaks and geeks. i saw an episode or two of the sheild and lost, both of which i would like to see eventually on dvd as i think they are shows that you cannot really jump in midway through.

i would like to see the UK version of the Office, as i love the UK coupling and can hardly beleive that show i saw once on NBC was based on the same thing.

the others... dont' know never saw them, although deadwood looks kinda cool.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »
Deadwood was great.  I'd buy the entire show on DVD, but I'd never get to watch it when my kids are home and awake because of the language and violence.

Chris

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 10:37:36 PM »
There were two notable aspects about the language in Deadwood.

1, It was over the top profane.

2, When it wasn't being profane, it was extraordinarily formal, or something.  Several of the characters seemed to be straining to express themselves in as formal a manner as possible, and in the second season there were a couple episodes where it was comical watching some of the characters make a simple sentence complicated or convoluted.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 06:37:04 AM »
Yeah.  That was my main complaint with the show.  I loved the story and characters though.

Chris

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »
Well, the profanity didn't bother me at all.  A few weeks of military boot camp will cure one of that.  It was mostly a lot of "cake"suckers, most notably "San Francisco cakesucker!"   =D

And I enjoyed the formal, rather stilted, language.  I kept wondering if people on the edges of civilization really spoke like that.  They didn't in Firefly !  Except maybe Simon in the first episode or two.

I also wondered how much that was said about George Hearst was true.  Wikipedia (!) confirms some of it, but nothing about his being a murderer.  Apparently he was a very accomplished geologist and was later a congressman.

What surprised me is that almost all of the main characters were true from history.  When I first started watching I figured just Wild Bill Hickok, his killer, and Calamity Jane.  Nope.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
I read an interview with the Deadwood creators a while back explaining their choices as it related to language in the show. 

They went with the rather over the top profanity because they had tried using profanity and curses from the era, but the characters just ended up sounding like Yosemite Sam and couldn't really be taken seriously by a 21st century audience.   

They also chose to have SOME of the charters speak in a stilted victorian style as a reminder of the time period and as a way of creating a more defined juxtaposition between the "civilized" and the "hoople."
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 07:15:45 AM »
An interesting essay:

http://www.noisetosignal.org/2009/11/put-away-the-dollhouse-part-one
http://www.noisetosignal.org/2009/11/put-away-the-dollhouse-part-two
http://www.noisetosignal.org/2009/11/put-away-the-dollhouse-part-three

I like this observation:
I Don’t Like Caroline
The woman that Echo used to be, Caroline, is eventually revealed to be exactly the kind of person nobody wants to watch. She’s a tediously right-on activist, plagued with a blah-blah troubled past. Who the hell has any interest in watching this girl emerge from her Active cocoon?

And this:
The thing that was meant to make Echo special was her ability to recall things, to beat the memory wipe, but it seems that’s happening with everyone. November and Sierra are exhibiting similar traits, and both seem to have far more interesting backstories. So if it’s not ‘who she is’ that makes her the centre of our focus - and how could it be? - and it’s not ‘what she’s going through’ that sets her apart...why, exactly, is this The Echo Show?

I like this comment from Whedonesque:

Dollhouse can really engage my mind. But my heart? Not so much
That really resonates with me; Dollhouse is a show whose concepts I enjoy thinking about more than whose stories I enjoy watching.  Briar Rose was enormous fun, though, and Epitaph One was fascinating in the direction the show took the technology.

And this comment:
Blank slates don't sell. Strong, iconic characters sell. That's why everybody loves Jayne, and almost nobody loves Echo

I don’t mean to imply I don’t like the show; I do !  I just find this reviewer’s comments very insightful as to maybe some of the reasons why I don’t like it in the way I do Firefly.  As previously pointed out, it's cerebral, but it doesn't have the heart of Firefly.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »
Bit of a rubbish top ten that in jfruser's link.  The Shield was - IMHO - massively overrated, as was Lost, and I defy anyone who is either British or who watched British TV during the late 80s/early 90s to watch Deadwood and not be lost in a permanent state of wonder at what on earth Lovejoy thinks he is doing.  From a British perspective, my top four (in no particular order) of the 00s* are:

i) Spaced - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vUfBOdSmBU&feature=related
ii) the original Life on Mars - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPE3zCvS0zA
iii) Firefly.  You can keep your remade BSG, your Star Trek: Enterprise, your remakes of V, this was by far the best scifi of the decade.
iv) The Thick of It - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNnWYBK74Jc (beware, the link is very, very NSFW).  This may well be an acquired taste, it is shot in a deliberately anti-West Wing (allegedly New Labour's collective favourite show) style and treats nearly every member of the British political class with approximately 10% of the contempt that they actually deserve.

* slightly expanded to include the first series of Spaced
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 12:38:04 PM »
I thought of a few more.

Defying Gravity
ReGenesis
Ghost in the Shell SAC

also +1 on Dexter now that I've seen it.

The Venture Brothers
FlashForward
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:36:32 AM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
iii) Firefly.  You can keep your remade BSG, your Star Trek: Enterprise, your remakes of V, this was by far the best scifi of the decade.
I'd find it hard to argue with that statement, since you added the qualifier ". . . of the decade." (Babylon 5 ran in the previous decade.)

I will note that some story arcs of the long-running Stargate franchise were quite good, too . . . it's unlikely we'll ever know how 10 years of Firefly, taken as a whole, would compare with 10 years of Stargate. (Ignore the awful Stargate: Universe that's running now. Please. :barf: )
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:04:38 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »
I'd find it hard to argue with that statement, since you added the qualifier ". . . of the decade." (Babylon 5 ran in the previous decade.)

I will note that some story arcs of the long-running Stargate franchise were quite good, too . . . it's unlikely we'll ever know how 10 years of Firefly, taken as a whole, would compare with 10 years of Stargate. (Ignore the awful Stargate: Universe that's running now. Please. :barf: )

At times I think the single season of Firefly might be a blessing in disguise. I can think of no episode I consider bad. I am of the opinion that single season makes it one of the best shows ever produced.

Had it gone on for, say, five years, might that quality have deteriorated? I can't say for sure, but as much as I wish for more Firefly, I don't wish for BAD Firefly.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 12:14:53 AM »
Had it gone on for, say, five years, might that quality have deteriorated?
Maybe, but maybe not.  For me, Star Trek Next Generation hit its peak in Seasons 6 and 7.  Firefly might have kept getting better and better.  And if not, I don't have to buy those episodes.

In Season 1, the characters with the mysterious backgrounds and developing (in varying degrees) story arcs were the passengers:  River, Book, and Inara.  It seems reasonable to me (and I doubt the network would have had the guts to allow it) to phase out passengers after their stories were revealed, and bring on new passengers, thus keeping the stories fresh.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »
Does anybody remember this one?  I really liked it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Above_and_Beyond

I'm not a real sci-fi geek, so I think that was the first sci-fi I had ever seen that really seemed connected with the world as we know it.  The props and clothing and such were not as futuristic and other-worldly as a lot of other shows, and they even carried M9 bayonets. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 10:59:16 AM »
I don't remember that, but that does look good.

I'm going to give it a try. 

Meanwhile ... Dollhouse returns with two episodes featuring Summer Glau this Friday.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2009, 11:56:13 AM »
I don't remember that, but that does look good.

I'm going to give it a try. 

Meanwhile ... Dollhouse returns with two episodes featuring Summer Glau this Friday.

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 12:02:31 PM »
Space Above and Beyond? I remember that . . . wasn't really one of my favorites.

About the only thing I recall clearly about that series was one episode in which a group of elite commandos were sneaking up on a target . . . and EVERY PIECE of equipment they were carrying/wearing rattled or clanged with each step . . . and when going through a stream, they splashed like a bunch of little kids jumping in a puddle. Might as well have been playing music on a boom box for all the stealth they displayed on this "covert" op . . .  ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 01:12:54 PM »
I think Space Above and Beyond was pretty marginal and totally see why it didn't get renewed.  I watched it when it came out, then watched it again on DVD and was pretty underwhelmed.  It was just not believable.  I have a problem with the whole concept of a Marine Fighter Squadron/Infantry unit among other things.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »
At times I think the single season of Firefly might be a blessing in disguise. I can think of no episode I consider bad. I am of the opinion that single season makes it one of the best shows ever produced.

Had it gone on for, say, five years, might that quality have deteriorated? I can't say for sure, but as much as I wish for more Firefly, I don't wish for BAD Firefly.

I dunno - I would have liked to see Firefly end naturally, rather than having seen it get cut off,  That said, your point is valid as anyone who has compared old vs new Futurama would recognize.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 07:15:46 AM »
I don't know.

Imagine 7 seasons of Firefly.

Films.

An expanded universe with good writers writing for it.

Comics.

Toys.

Collectible.

A PnP RPG on the D20 system.

It would be glorious.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 03:07:28 PM »
Last night's two episodes with Summer Glau were good, with the following high points:

1. Summer was very good in her part
2. Victor imprinted as Topher was astonishingly good; jeez, what an actor
3. Nice twist with the reveal of the senator
4. At some point, I remember thinking "this is good sci-fi"

and low points:

1. At some point, I remember thinking "I miss Firefly."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 02:17:07 PM »
Last night's two episodes with Summer Glau were good, with the following high points:

1. Summer was very good in her part
2. Victor imprinted as Topher was astonishingly good; jeez, what an actor
3. Nice twist with the reveal of the senator
4. At some point, I remember thinking "this is good sci-fi"

and low points:

1. At some point, I remember thinking "I miss Firefly."

dad made the same comment about Victor. I also liked that the dolls in DC where named after gods?godesses rather then the military alphabet.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »
Also, if one puts an ounce of thought into it, one understands that there are almost no sympathetic characters and most are just plain evil.

I just started watching a random episode of Dollhouse on Hulu (my first), and it occurred to me that I've never liked Eliza Dushku very much in any role in which I've seen her.  Maybe it's just me, or maybe she's just not a likable actress, and thus can't carry a show. 

I guess she seems like a mean person for some reason. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

neviander

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 03:15:46 PM »
Is this an anti 24 thread?  24 is the only series that I can force myself to sit through commercials for any more.  What is the running commentary for 24 on APS, I haven't been here for a while :)
"be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 03:31:40 PM »
Is this an anti 24 thread?  24 is the only series that I can force myself to sit through commercials for any more.  What is the running commentary for 24 on APS, I haven't been here for a while :)

I've never seen an episode of 24.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 04:14:46 PM »
I've never seen an episode of 24.

You're not missing much.  Constant crisis, someone is always turning double agent, and Jack is running around the country breaking every rule and violating civil and human rights to solve the crisis.  Jack booted thuggery and win at all costs at its worst.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”