Author Topic: RIP Dollhouse  (Read 12262 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: RIP Dollhouse
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 05:00:02 PM »
I halfheartedly tried to watch Dollhouse last night, I just couldn't stay with it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
I didn't stay with it, either.  I let it run in the background for about fifteen minutes, while messing about with other web sites.  Then my wife came home, so I wasn't bored enough to keep watching. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
see, this is where we differ... i was on the edge of my seat for the last 3 episodes.

the last one ended all crazy like!!!  :O
 =D

i can't wait till next week  [popcorn]

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »
We need Ladysmith to come back and hurl shoes at a certain someone. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
Last night's episode was terrific.  Unfortunately, it's the last episode in the current timeline.  In two weeks will be the actual finale, Epitaph Two, which will be ten years into the future.

Great review of last night's episode here:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-hollow-men,37159/

Common theme from the reviews of the last month or so is how the show got much better as it went along.  The second half of Season 1 was much better than the first half of Season 1, and Season 2 is better than Season 1.  I especially like this line from the above link:

Either way, it’s been quite a progression from where Dollhouse started and where it is now. It’s as though MacGyver gradually morphed into Battlestar Galactica.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2010, 02:46:31 PM »
You're not missing much.  Constant crisis, someone is always turning double agent, and Jack is running around the country breaking every rule and violating civil and human rights to solve the crisis.  Jack booted thuggery and win at all costs at its worst.

I've only seen a few eps and it just does nothing for me.

I do wonder though if Jack has developed some sort of nervous tic that starts at about 5 til any given hour. Because in the shows I have seen that's when the bad sh...tuff always happens or gets worse.

24 as a concept made sense once. But this sh...tuff keeps happening to the same guy (like in Die Hard) and in the same 24 hour time span?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2010, 12:10:08 AM »

Common theme from the reviews of the last month or so is how the show got much better as it went along.  The second half of Season 1 was much better than the first half of Season 1, and Season 2 is better than Season 1.  I especially like this line from the above link:

Dollhouse is one of those stories that needs time to evolve and develop.  You can't jump into it full speed right fro the start.  It's a shame the powers that be at Fox weren't willing to give the space it needed.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2010, 12:12:53 AM »
I've only seen a few eps and it just does nothing for me.

I do wonder though if Jack has developed some sort of nervous tic that starts at about 5 til any given hour. Because in the shows I have seen that's when the bad sh...tuff always happens or gets worse.

24 as a concept made sense once. But this sh...tuff keeps happening to the same guy (like in Die Hard) and in the same 24 hour time span?
If you accept that 24 is fiction it's usually quite enjoyable.  It's a modern version of the old time movie theater cliffhanger series.  Suspense is its raison d'etre.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »
If you accept that 24 is fiction it's usually quite enjoyable.  It's a modern version of the old time movie theater cliffhanger series.  Suspense is its raison d'etre.

the only issue i have is if you miss one episode, your completely lost. its not one you can just jump right it. my dad loves it, but i don't get how he watches it. i think i'll wait till i have cash and then just watch it on dvd and knock out a season in one or two sittings, because it does look good.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »
If you accept that 24 is fiction it's usually quite enjoyable.
Fiction, you say?  I've duct taped trauma plates to my body, and I'm stalking Kiefer Sutherland... don't tell me this isn't real.

the only issue i have is if you miss one episode, your completely lost. its not one you can just jump right it. my dad loves it, but i don't get how he watches it. i think i'll wait till i have cash and then just watch it on dvd and knock out a season in one or two sittings, because it does look good.

You aren't missing much.  Since season 4 it's been "Jack Bauer meets The West Wing."  I don't expect to buy any dvd sets of 24 beyond season 4.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
Fiction, you say?  I've duct taped trauma plates to my body, and I'm stalking Kiefer Sutherland... don't tell me this isn't real.

When they get too heavy, do you put them in your wheelbarrow? 

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »
negative.  the wheelbarrow is duct taped over my head to protect against shrapnel from airbursts.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2010, 05:41:06 PM »
Now you're thinking. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 12:15:47 AM »
Just the saw the final episode tonight.  Not sure what some of it meant, and some of the good guys didn't survive to the end.

I do know that this show resonated with me, and for that I'm grateful.

How often does that happen on television ?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 12:36:55 AM »
Just the saw the final episode tonight.  Not sure what some of it meant, and some of the good guys didn't survive to the end.

I do know that this show resonated with me, and for that I'm grateful.

How often does that happen on television ?

i'm pretty sure that there were some unaired episodes that will be included it the DVD, which will make the lead up into that last episode much more understandable. notice that at the begining was the typical flashes from a previous episode, and almost non of them where from the last aired episode. i'm thinking maybe one or two will come between the last aired and the final.
i will say that i thought it was a truely great ending. also, it was a bit open ended, which means joss may be going for, at least, a comic book or graphic novel out of it.