Author Topic: Favorite TV show episodes  (Read 8926 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Favorite TV show episodes
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »
What are yours?

(trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible)

House M.D., 4th season, the two part ep dealing with House's amnesia and the bus accident  (that or the two-parter starting with the cop who laughs hysterically in season... 2?)
Angel, Not Fade Away (the final episode)
Miami Vice, 2nd season, the one with Russians trying to track down Gretsky and his wife
Firefly, Mrs. Reynolds
La Femme Nikita, I Remember Paris
Dark Angel, Berrisford Agenda
Babylon 5, The Coming of Shadows
SG-1, S03E05, Learning Curve
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:59:31 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Favorite TV show episodes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »
Gilligan's Island:  The episode where they were all stuck on an island and the skipper got mad at Gilligan and the professor made a gadget out of coconuts.  Oh yeah, and I remember the Howells were all in denial and kept expecting people to cater to them.  Ginger flirted with Gilligan to try to get something from him, and Mary Ann just ran around in her Daisy Dukes looking innocent and cute and making pies.

Yep, that was one great episode!

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:52:08 AM »
speaking of X-Files...my favorite episode is "Jose Chung's From Outer Space"
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
Star Trek: The Next Generation:  The Best of Both Worlds, parts 1 and 2

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
Babylon 5: The episode where Vir had his wish granted:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY

Runner Up:

Babylon 5: Delenn to the rescue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBXHPA&feature=related
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »
Firefly- Out of Gas
House M.D.- The end of the fifth season, the episodes dealing with hallucinations
Doctor Who- The Girl In the Fireplace
Hi.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »
What are yours?

Babylon 5, The Coming of Shadows

That was great, and on my list too.

I probably have a lot more, but a few others off the top of my head:

Babylon 5, Severed Dreams
Taxi, when Rev Jim got his driver's license ("what does a yellow light mean?")
Firefly, well, most of them actually
Parks & Rec, season 2 finale (Ron Swanson is my mentor in govt work, also in food choices)

Edit Ha! - found the YouTube clip of the Taxi episode!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn-tBeLpCk
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:46:17 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 01:18:38 PM »
Since Star Trek was mentioned, here are a couple that come immediately to mind:

Star Trek - TOS:  Balance of Terror
Star Trek - TOS:  The City at the Edge of Forever
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
Babylon 5: The episode where Vir had his wish granted:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY

"Ahhh!  Mr. Morden!  I see they found you. Good, good.  You're looking well -- all healed?......"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
Gilligan's Island:  The episode where they were all stuck on an island and the skipper got mad at Gilligan and the professor made a gadget out of coconuts.  Oh yeah, and I remember the Howells were all in denial and kept expecting people to cater to them.  Ginger flirted with Gilligan to try to get something from him, and Mary Ann just ran around in her Daisy Dukes looking innocent and cute and making pies.

DD
One great, very long, episode!  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 01:50:01 PM »
The one where Rob is having a dream within a dream thing about aliens and laura ends up with eyes in the back of her head.  :lol:

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »
Babylon 5 - The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari
ST:TNG - The Inner Light
Farscape - Cracker's Don't Matter
The X-Files - X-Cops
ST:Voyager - Memorial
Stargate SG1 - Abyss
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »
Star Trek DS9: In the Pale Moonlight

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 03:50:25 PM »
The one where Rob is having a dream within a dream thing about aliens and laura ends up with eyes in the back of her head.  :lol:

I really like the one where they are all sitting around the livingroom and Rob gets up for some reason and trips over the ottoman/footstool.  That and the one where Richie learns about why he is named after a sled.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »
Firefly: Tie between Ariel and Out of Gas
Band of Brothers: Bastogne
Venture Bros.: I Know Why the Caged Bird Kills

... that's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »
That and the one where Richie learns about why he is named after a sled.
Rosebud?  ;)

How about the one where the Beav and Larry Mondello stop to watch the construction on the way to school and their lunch boxes get run over by a dump truck. The alligator epidode was good too. Cap'n Jack went on to be Uncle Joe down at the Junction.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 06:07:17 PM »
Gilligan's Island:  The episode where they were all stuck on an island and the skipper got mad at Gilligan and the professor made a gadget out of coconuts.  Oh yeah, and I remember the Howells were all in denial and kept expecting people to cater to them.  Ginger flirted with Gilligan to try to get something from him, and Mary Ann just ran around in her Daisy Dukes looking innocent and cute and making pies.

DD

x2

And when Fred Flintstone gets observed by space aliens and they send down an alien disguised as an earthling that looks just like Fred and says "Yaba-daba-do" in a flat monotone.

That's my favorite TeeVee show of all time, that one.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:10:19 PM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
Bugs Bunny: The Rabbit of Seville

Bugs Bunny: Bus is a matador, by accident of course.  After Bugs gets botted out of the bull-ring by the bull, bugs says, "Of course you know... this means war."  Two more of my favorite words/phrases from Bugs: "Nin-cow-poop," and "Gulli-bull."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 08:35:01 PM »
The X-Files: "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man" (but there were several runners-up)
The Simpsons: "E-I-E-I-(annoyed grunt)"
Diff'rent Strokes: the one where Arnold said "Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis"
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »
Firefly, Mrs. Reynolds

I don't know if it's my favorite (tough field), but the first half of that episode is definitely as funny as anything ever aired.  Special hell, coming to a middle, pretty floral bonnet, and so on.  My wife pointed out that, after Mal says something mean, you can see Jane's hand patting Saffron's shoulder, soothingly.  It kills us every time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 10:18:58 PM »
Firefly: So many good ones. Our Mrs. Reynolds is good, but I love Jaynetown, too. ("Me, Jayne Cobb!" "I know your name, jackass")

Fawlty Towers: The German episode. I was on the floor crying I was laughing so hard. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6669914129956242491#

X Files: Bad Blood. Vampire episode- told from Mulder and Scully's points of view. The funniest X-files. "I was drugged!"

ST TNG: Chain of Command: "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" However, I also like the episodes with Mark Twain. And the alternate universe where the war between the Federation and the Klingons never ended.

WKRP: "As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly" http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi254935065/

Wings: I'm torn between "This Old House" and "Four Dates that will live in Infamy" Dang it I forgot about "Murder She Roast"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:18:06 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 10:19:53 PM »
"I knew I should've taken that left at Albuquerque" ;)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »
"How to Recognise Different Types of Trees from Quite a Long Way Away"

Bicycle Repair Man;
Dim of the Yard;
Nudge Nudge;
The dirty fork;
Rant against Communism;
And now,
Number one
The Larch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hkD_zkvolk
7-11 was a part time job.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 11:22:40 PM »
Fawlty Towers: The German episode. I was on the floor crying I was laughing so hard.

"Don't mention the war!"

The dead guest episode.  When they walked into the room with the guy inflating a girl doll, I fell off the chair laughing.  Only time I've ever done that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 03:38:17 AM »
Firefly - Out of Gas

What an amazing episode.

I never heard of Firefly until early 2005, three years after Firefly ran on Fox TV.  I found about it because many of the very diverse Internet forums I frequented were raving about it.  The firearms web sites, the coin collecting web sites, the computer geek web sites -- they were all talking about it.

My wife and I had been renting DVDs from Netflix for about three years at that time.  Movies, of course, but lots of tv shows, especially British mystery series. 

We also watched all of the Star Trek:  The Next Generation episodes. 

We tried Babylon 5 twice, but couldn’t get past the first few episodes.  I hear it gets really good -- by the second year. 

Next: Farscape.  This show had interesting stories, but finally I couldn’t take the aliens:  they were muppets, and the more muppets, the less interested I was in the show.

Battlestar Galactica was really good ... the first couple years.

Firefly:  love at first view.  I got it immediately.  I watched every episode in order, as I rented each disk from Netflix. 

Firefly Disk 3, episode 1:  Out of Gas.  Out of all the tv series my wife and I watched on our Netflix DVDs, most of which would have four hour long episodes on a DVD, this was the first and only time I watched an episode a second time before proceeding to the next episode.  Usually with a tv series on DVD it’s just click-click-click-click, watch an episode, then the next three, then send the disk back to Netflix.  I was immediately struck by the astonishing brilliance of what I had just seen, and wanted to see it again.  Just amazing:  the story; the background filler of Jayne, Inara, Kaylee, and Wash; the fantastic way the writers had fit three separate timelines together (emphasized with three different color highlights) with wonderful segues from one to the next; the music soundtrack.

Objects in Space; Ariel; War Stories; Trash; and Serenity (the pilot episode) are also extremely good.