Author Topic: Favorite TV show episodes  (Read 8924 times)

taurusowner

Re: Favorite TV show episodes
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 04:46:16 AM »
Something that I'm really getting into is the new Stargate series, Stargate Universe.  Much darker and less goofy that SG-1 and Atlantis.  I love both of series and wish Atlantis would have lasted at least a few more season.  But it's interesting to see a Stargate series that has none of the campyness or even humor of the other series.  Dare I say it's more "realistic"?  There's really no "monster of the week" or "disaster avoided at the last second" plots.  Not to mention the total lack of "forehead aliens".  It feels like the new Battlestar Galactica, only with Stargate and without all the goofy religious crap.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »
We tried Babylon 5 twice, but couldn’t get past the first few episodes.  I hear it gets really good -- by the second year.

The first year lays foundations and does a lot of foreshadowing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 11:09:34 AM »
The first year lays foundations and does a lot of foreshadowing.

True....I actually found it better to watch the second and third season before watching the first....made the first season more understandable....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
True....I actually found it better to watch the second and third season before watching the first....made the first season more understandable....

"Watch your back, Garibaldi."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 02:41:49 PM »
OH!, OH!

The one where Fonzie jumped over a shark with his motorcycle!!

More shows should do something like that...   >:D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

P5 Guy

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »
Dead Like Me
When Mason has to take the soul of his Guitar Hero. Tied with Roxy and the homeless guy who starts a religion because Roxy grabbed his soul and shock it.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »
The episode on Everybody Loves Raymond in which Marie takes a sculpture class.

On The Andy Griffith Show:
Barney and The Choir
Mr. McBeevee
A Black Day for Mayberry

Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 05:51:19 PM »
I liked the Andy Griffith when Andy was called away for a while and Barney was on vacation, so he had to deputize Goober and Goob had to stay at the courthouse and work on Gilly Walkers car. 
He disassembles it and puts it back together inside the sheriff's office, which totally amazes Floyd.

I liked that one and the SpongeBob Squarepants episode BR-129 when Squidward uses a time machine to get some peace and quiet.
"Everything is chrome in the future!"
That's the one that shows Squidward invented jellyfishing.
7-11 was a part time job.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »
I liked the Andy episodes when the Darlin's came to town. Ernest T Bass was another favorite.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »
Bugs Bunny: The Rabbit of Seville

Bugs Bunny: Bus is a matador, by accident of course.  After Bugs gets botted out of the bull-ring by the bull, bugs says, "Of course you know... this means war."  Two more of my favorite words/phrases from Bugs: "Nin-cow-poop," and "Gulli-bull."
What about Kill the Wabbit? 

I was thinking of that episode of Highlander where he gets in the swordfight and ends up cutting the guys' head off. 
(I guess that is too easy)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 07:46:42 PM »
The Wonder Years episode in which a new music teacher enters the boys' choir class in a singing competition.  (Men, men, men, men....)
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 08:41:53 AM »
Well, if we're going back that far, how about the episode of No Time for Sergeants where they decided to feed all the guys in Will Stockdale's barracks whortleberry root juice in the hopes that they'd all get as strong as Stockdale? Or what happened to the jet when they filled it with Pappy's Elixer? (Pappy was a - wink, wink - moonshiner.)

Or the episode where Pvt. Stockdale was promoted to 2-star general because someone accidentally stepped on an IBM punch card (remember those?) with golf shoes and put a couple of extra holes in it?  (Doggone it, I wasn't even 10 years old when this show was on, and I can still remember these parts!)

Or the episode of Beverly Hillbillies where Banker Drysdale took the Clampetts skeet shooting . . . IIRC, Jed tried to only shoot chips off the clay pigeons "so they could use 'em again" and Ellie May was breaking birds with a slingshot . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 08:46:21 AM »
I remember "No Time" but not THAT well.  =D

I liked when the Clampett's played, "Ricochet" in the back yard. Always wanted tor try that. Or when jethro was going to be a major league pitcher until they foud out it was bear grease on his fingers that made him throw so good.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 11:34:08 AM »
Jethro - "I's gonna be a double-nought spy" =D
I loved that episode.

One of my all-time favorite tv characters - Festus Hagen from "Gunsmoke".

from imdb:

Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: [Festus offers to buy Doc a beer with a silver dollar that he earned from shoeing horses in episode "Whelan's Men".] Why don't you take that money and invest it in something? Why don't you do that?
Festus Haggen: Invest it in what?
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: There's wonderful land values outside of Dodge. Now why don't you go out there someplace, look around, and buy yourself a lot?
Festus Haggen: A lot of what?
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: A lot! A lot of land!
Festus Haggen: Well fiddle, I can't afford to buy a lot of land. You probably could the way you've been a bilking and gouging...
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: Oh, hush up! I'm trying to help you, for heaven sakes. It don't cost a whole lot to buy a little lot.
Festus Haggen: What do you mean it don't cost a whole lot to buy a little, or a whole lot to buy a lot, what do you mean?
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: Well, I mean,... a little lot of land!
Festus Haggen: But there ain't no such a thing. A little's a little, and a lot's a lot, there ain't no little lot, or lot of little, don't you see? Now you want that beer or don't you?
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: No I'm... I'm all worn out.
Festus Haggen: [and as Doc walks away Festus Hollers] If you change your mind me and Newly will be over at the Longbranch having a whole lot of little beers.
[Chuckles and flips his silver dollar]
Festus Haggen: Now I'm buying.

or the episode where the snake oil salesman comes to town -

Speaking to Marshal Dillon "Matthew, don't you think we oughta make sure that stuff is safe for public conniption?" =D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:53:50 AM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:14 PM »
"The Trouble With Tribbles."  Original Star Trek.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »
Angel, Not Fade Away (the final episode)
Firefly, Mrs. Reynolds
Babylon 5, The Coming of Shadows

^^^Will you get out of my brain!!!!!

I'll mention three from Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Hush
Once More With Feeling
Season Three Finale (Senior class vs the mayor)

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »
Hush is my all time favorite Buffy episode.  For a somewhat goofy show, that one was truly creepy.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
Watching "Our Mrs Reynolds" right now.

"...but if your hand touches metal I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you."
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 01:01:54 PM »
"The Trouble With Tribbles."  Original Star Trek.

That episode is Pure Win.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2010, 01:46:24 PM »
Honestly, in terms of story-arc Babylon 5 had some of the best writing bar none.

The examples given are excellent. Completely buried under the often execrable visual design and hammy acting.

IMO, some imaginary Sci-Fi show with the better acting and cleaner visual style of Star Trek, the story arc of B5, the grittiness and quasi-documentary look of the new Battlestar Galactica, and the Banter of Firefly would be the best thing ever put to television..

I don't know the name of the episode, but the first X-Files written by William Gibson was really really good. (The second 'First Person Shooter' was pretty weak...)

The programmer trying to track down/destroy the rouge AI getting killed by the AI setting up a cross fire with fake phone calls to police and a gang was great. (As was the duct-tape make shift look of his laptop and cell-modem in the pre-WiFi era..)

And the hacker-girl making her way around the world in an office hidden in a shipping container was cool as well. Her militant leather-look was obviously a homage to "Jane" the augmented "Street Samurai" of his early novels.

The "does not exist" SDI platform the AI commandeered to kill people was great too. How it zoomed in with a "Google Maps" like view of the target 10 years before such a thing existed was cool.

And at the end how the AI was just a bunch of server racks in a little camping trailer in the middle of the desert tended by "robots" made of re-purposed RC cars was really neat.  It was connected to the rest of the world via a single fiber optic line on a row of lonely telephone poles was both funny and creepy at the same time. And you understood how vulnerable it was once discovered, because as Agent Mulder approached, all it could do was flare spotlights, and emit an electronic shriek through a loudspeaker as he stepped closer.

It all looks dated now, but it was a rather semi-realistic and thoughtful treatment of how a malevolent AI would have to manipulate people and resources "behind the scenes" to achieve it's ends. Much better than the entire Terminator franchise.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:54:57 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »
I don't know the name of the episode, but the first X-Files written by William Gibson was really really good.

I remember that one, it was pretty good. Wikipedia has all the episodes listed.

"Kill Switch"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_Switch_%28The_X-Files%29

episode list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_X-Files_episodes
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »
THE NAKED CITY --
"The Rydecker Case"  and "Which is Joseph Creeley?"
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

erictank

• friends
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2010, 09:44:04 PM »
Something that I'm really getting into is the new Stargate series, Stargate Universe.  Much darker and less goofy that SG-1 and Atlantis.  I love both of series and wish Atlantis would have lasted at least a few more season.  But it's interesting to see a Stargate series that has none of the campyness or even humor of the other series.  Dare I say it's more "realistic"?  There's really no "monster of the week" or "disaster avoided at the last second" plots.  Not to mention the total lack of "forehead aliens".  It feels like the new Battlestar Galactica, only with Stargate and without all the goofy religious crap.

I'm generally enjoying SG-U, but I could do without the whole, "Hey look, there's SEX on Stargate!!!!" bit...  ;/  If it makes sense, I don't have a problem with it.  Most of what they've shown, IMO, is the above bit.  But overall, that's a fairly-minor quibble. 

I too liked both previous series.  I do miss RDA as a main-focus character, though.  His humor really made SG-1 shine, IMO.  Browder tried, but wasn't QUITE as good, in that respect, and neither was Flanagan (on SG-A).  My wife always laughed at his (Flanagan's) hair - here's a character who's a relatively-high-ranking military officer, and he can't get a milspec haircut?  Then again, I'd laugh at HER, because Atlantis would just put her out like a light - twenty minutes in, and she'd be snoring.  We joke about that to this day - whenever we stumble across it in the listings or flipping through the channels, one of us will look over at the other and she'll start snoring.   :laugh:

taurusowner

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »
Yeah, they did have a lot of soap opera themes early on in the season, though as of late that seems to have been toned down quite a bit.  I do agree that the humor was a great part of the SG1 and SGA, especially Daniel/Jack banter and McKay.  But The near lack of humor of SGA is surprisingly enjoyable.  It's certainly nothing like the other series.  I never really felt like things would end any way but good with SG1 or SGA.  No matter what the story arc or cliffhanger, one always knew that in the end they'd wrap it up and tell a few jokes along the way.  SGU doesn't have that feel at all.  SGU really seems like things could go bad and just stay bad.  After a combined total of 15 seasons of Stargate, it's kind of a refreshing change.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 01:14:39 AM »
I'm generally enjoying SG-U, but I could do without the whole, "Hey look, there's SEX on Stargate!!!!" bit...  ;/  If it makes sense, I don't have a problem with it.  Most of what they've shown, IMO, is the above bit.  But overall, that's a fairly-minor quibble.  

Could you also do without all the gratuitous violence of the SG* series?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)