Author Topic: intel community and interrogations  (Read 799 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
intel community and interrogations
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:37:51 PM »
Just finished a chapter (Al Qaeda's Doctor, about halfway through) of the book Interrogators ending in a major foul-up by the CIA.  Is that really how they operate?  Going into an interrogation with a poor or unplanned approach, wasting a lot of good intelligence, not to mention the months of prior rapport-building interrogations of the prisoner that they burned?

I'm amazed the intelligence community gets any good intel out of anyone if this sort of behavior (lack of intel sharing to the front-line interrogators, poor interrogation techniques by the CIA) is the norm.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:24:38 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: intel community and interrogations
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »
No.  The author covered up, manipulated and just plain left out the bad parts.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:27:08 PM »
We're probably losing more good intel because our specwar troops get court martialed if they punch a captured terrorist. I'd hazard to guess that attempts are still made to obtain the intel, the prisoners just don't come back.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:44:49 PM »

Definitely pick up a copy of Inside the Wire: A Military Intelligence Soldier's Eyewitness Account of Life at Guantanamo by Eric Saar.  If you're trying to validate a preconception (pro or anti), you'd absolutely hate it.  It's very clear how grey it all is.  Dude was a translator, not an interrogator, so he had only a minimal axe to grind.  Mostly against bureacratic issues, not against the military in general. 

He does point out some fairly "not good" interrogations and behavior by US military personnel.  Some mundane, like the MP's screwing with the prisoners by stepping on their cookie or whatever.  Some...  not so mundane.   

On the other hand, he makes it quite clear that some of these people are absolute and complete threats to the United States.  Some of the prisoners he dealt with flatly told him, (paraphrased) "Dude, you're a nice guy and all that, but I'd happily cut your throat if I could." 

The guy doesn't even pretend to guess at a proper answer to the situation.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.