Author Topic: IPv6, do you haz?  (Read 1151 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:28:34 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: IPv6, do you haz?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
7/10   for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
0/10   for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »

IPv6 was poorly designed.  There should have been an easier transition build into the entire scheme. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »
June 8th 2011 is IPv6 Day.

To check your IPv6 connectivity, visit http://test-ipv6.com/
( 10/10 baby! )

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/011211-world-ipv6-day.html
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/world-ipv6-day-firing-up-engines-on-new.html

Hmm.  Looks like I'll need to switch the router from tomato to dd-wrt.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »
@revdisk perhaps, but the pain is unavoidable at this point.  What should we do, wait another 10-20 years for IPv7 to be designed and rolled out?  Technically competent people can get dual-stacks working, even if it's not always trivial.  The OS and embedded router manufacturers dragging their heels deserve most of the blame for the current dual-stack misery.  Maybe some ISPs are running broken DNS servers too, but I wouldn't know.

I'm interested in what the latest official OS/X version gets on that test, out of the box, assuming no ISP IPv6 support and no IPv6 tunnel.

@Ben I assume that's some sort of Windows?  I tested it on an old but up-to-date XP box I have (firefox) and it got the same: 7/10 and 0/10.  I can't check with Win7 because my win7 box gets 10/10 as well (my linux box is offering radvd advertisements for all my "real" computers, including the Win7 box)
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:44:07 PM »
Tyme, it was a Win7 box. Got the same results in virtual Ubuntu on another box. Used Firefox both times.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:32:44 AM »
7/10   for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
0/10   for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

Net coming in through Time Warner/Roadrunner Cable Modem then to WRT54G router with ddwrt
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »
Nope, not at the office nor at home.  We do run IPV6 along with IPV4 internally on most of our networks.  However..  no public IPV6 for us or our clients until the ISPs around here start using it AND our primary firewall vendor acknowledges its existence.