Author Topic: Political survey  (Read 1212 times)

Twycross

• friend
Political survey
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:05:07 AM »
I'm sitting here in PolSci class, and just heard something interesting. The Political Science Dept at the University of Idaho (the local university) did a survey of my area, and apparently only 45% of the populace knows what the Bill of Rights is. Furthermore, almost nobody knew who Antonin Scalia is. Many people thought that he is "an italian food", or a character from 'The Sopranos.'

HankB

• friend
Re: Political survey
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:22:21 AM »
Remember, the people mentioned VOTE . . . and their votes count as much as yours.  sad

That explains a lot . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:27:33 AM »
And we have to encourage more of them to vote.

Let's bribe them with a million dollar voting lottery.

Yay.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 10:29:48 AM »
No wonder the waiter looked at me funny when I ordered the scalia..... grin
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 04:20:30 PM »
Sounds like they got their Scalia mixed up with their scungilli...  shocked

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 08:14:14 PM »
I wonder when we'll see the next push for mandatory voting?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 06:22:55 AM »
This is the main reason why polls of adults are worthless come election time.  Only polls of "likely voters" or some such come close to reality. 

It is sad that they don't get a better response. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 06:49:03 AM »
*heh* was actually going to start a new thread about that, but it'll fit here. 

Have been reading Robert Heinlein's "Starship Troopers".  Yes, it's what the movie was (very loosely) based on.  But that reminded me of something in the movie.  Yes, all citizens were allowed to vote.  However, the vast majority of the population appeared to be "civilians" (can't remember for sure the terminology they used in the movie).  The easiest way to become a citizen?  Do a term of military service. 

For some reason, I find myself really liking this idea.  Not necessarily that you have to be ex or current military to vote, but the thought that the people that have somehow risked their lives for their country would have a much more vested interest in the fitness of said country.  So what would you think?  Lets say that you must somehow have risked your life for your country in order to vote for, say, the Senate and the President.  The House of Representatives, since it's the "people's house" would not have that requirement.  State and local elections would also be open to all. 

Thoughts?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 07:57:40 AM »
...in the book, even CURRENT military could not vote - neither could civil service, or welfare recipients.  If you took one cent of government money, you could not vote until you stopped.  Heinlein had some interesting ideas - including the "improve the breed" voting booth - solve a simple quadratic equation, or answer a basic trivia question about American government, and you get to vote.  Get the question wrong,...*Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-z-zap * shocked
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 08:52:42 AM »
actually, the percentage of those that know is probably high compared to other parts of America.  In Miami for example, most don't even speak English, or know anything about America other than its a great place to come and sponge off the people.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 09:09:44 AM »
I've had an idea to reform our political process for years....(besides term limits)

Require attendance at local governing body meetings as a form of community service.  Observing court sessions would also count.  4 hours per month of participation wouldn't be too onerous. 

The penalty for noncompliance???  Surrender your driver's license.  No civic participation, no priveleges.

Hold city/county board/school board meetings in school gymnasiums or auditoriums during school hours with all high school students in attendance.  Call it, gee, I dunno...Civics Class?Huh??

Until "We The People" get involved and place an appropriate level of emphasis upon governance, we will get the government that we deserve.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 11:41:22 AM »
No civic participation, no priveleges.
  I believe the ancient Greeks (or was it the Romans, or both?) had that sort of system. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 11:47:14 AM »
Here's another idea for reforming the political process . . .

How about weighting your vote by the amount of taxes you actually pay?

That would let the people who are paying the bills have a say in proportion to their burden . . . slackers and parasites, contributing nothing, would have no say in how its run or led.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 02:15:06 PM »
HankB, there's no need.  Campaigns require money.  Dirty politicians take bribes.  That being the case, those who pay more in taxes will usually have more say in politics, even if they don't vote. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 03:53:16 PM »
I think people who don't pay taxes shouldn't be allowed to vote. You gotta pay to play, Scooter, and if your money isn't being spent by the people you're putting in office, then you don't deserve to vote. I am also definitely in favor of the "prove you're not an abject smacktard" voting test. At minimum, you should have

In other news, in Starship Troopers, doing your two years in the Federal Service was the only way to become a citizen and get The Franchise. Federal Service included, but was not in any way limited to, military service (People cannot be turned away from Federal Service if they want to do it. If you want to do your service and get the franchise, they found a place for you) -- it just ended up that Juan Rico wanted to be in the military, and wasn't qualified to be anything but a Mobile Infantryman.

Also, the terms in Starship Troopers were "Citizens" for folks who'd done their service and could vote, and "Civilians" for those who had not and could not, respectively.

~GnSx