Author Topic: Jarhead?  (Read 1265 times)

Twycross

• friend
Jarhead?
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:01:42 PM »
I've now had the movie 'Jarhead' recommended to me twice in two days, but I don't trust either of the persons who made the recommendation. Is it any good?

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Jarhead?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 02:33:55 AM »
I didn't care much for it. 

And not because it was kind of rude to the military, but because it wasn't all that good of a movie.

Chris

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 03:48:49 AM »
I don't know how good the movie is but I didn't see it because the book may be the worst thing I have ever read.  That guy's whining should be an embarrassment to the US Marine Corps.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 05:01:15 AM »
I retired from the Marines in '99 as an E9.

I saw the movie.

It wasn't too bad.  Does a pretty good job of depicting day-to-day life among Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.  It gives a platoon level view of everything.  Everyday life is a major PITA for a field Marine. There's no "grand scheme" portrayed.

Didn't read the book, but the movie doesn't come across as whiney.

One of our maxims is "A bitchin' Marine is a happy Marine"!

I rented it on pay-per-view and didn't regret spending $3.95 to see it and eat my own popcorn.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:58:44 AM »
it was ok except for the terminally dumb scene where the guys, angry
about not getting to shoot anyone, start shooting their guns in the air.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 11:43:39 AM »
The movie portrays Marines as psychopathic nut cases with fecal fetishes, seasoned with homoerotic undertones.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 12:17:15 PM »
This former jarhead thought it was a stupid, whiney movie.  A wasted $3.99 rental fee.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 12:34:21 PM »
The former marine (I think I am justified in using that phrasing...) raised bellyaching to a fine art.

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »
I retired from the Marines in '99 as an E9.

I saw the movie.

It wasn't too bad.  Does a pretty good job of depicting day-to-day life among Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.  It gives a platoon level view of everything.  Everyday life is a major PITA for a field Marine. There's no "grand scheme" portrayed.

Didn't read the book, but the movie doesn't come across as whiney.

One of our maxims is "A bitchin' Marine is a happy Marine"!

I rented it on pay-per-view and didn't regret spending $3.95 to see it and eat my own popcorn.

I thought it was a good depiction of life at the level of the enlisted man, which is what I was.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 05:06:14 PM »
The movie portrays Marines as psychopathic nut cases with fecal fetishes, seasoned with homoerotic undertones. 

So, then, it was accurate?  Tongue  laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »

Hrm.  Us Army folks took it as a matter of faith of that being an accurate assessment.

(KIDDING, I swear.)

Movie was ok.  I wouldn't recommend shelling out the movie to keep it or see it in the movies.  But $4 rental, wasn't bad.  Go rent "Gunners Palace", "American Soldier", etc.  There's plenty of better movies.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.