Author Topic: Circuit City to close all stores, liquidate. They're done.  (Read 5299 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Circuit City to close all stores, liquidate. They're done.
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 06:05:40 AM »
There's still regional competition for Best Buy. Not so much in the East, but on the West Coast they have Frye's, which apparently has been kicking BB's butt for some time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 08:22:59 AM »
We have a Fry's here in town. More than once, their advertised price on an item was noticeably less than Best Buy . . . but since the latter has a store MUCH closer to me than Fry's, I just take the sales paper over there and they do a price match.
They have to compete with Amazon, lower prices and free shipping.
And as part of the lower prices, factor in no sales tax . . . which is significant on large items.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 08:51:14 AM »
Best Buy has the selection that Circuit City didn't have, but Best Buy's prices aren't cheap.

Numerous business types have drilled into my head over the years an old saying: you've got price, quality and service (service, selection, speed of delivery, etc); pick two, because you can't have all three at the same time.

Circuit City only offered one of the three.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 09:18:39 AM »
We have a Fry's here in town. More than once, their advertised price on an item was noticeably less than Best Buy . . . but since the latter has a store MUCH closer to me than Fry's, I just take the sales paper over there and they do a price match. And as part of the lower prices, factor in no sales tax . . . which is significant on large items.

No sales tax here. Amazon is still cheaper on lots of things.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 09:40:04 AM »
I'll do my big-item shopping at HHGregg for AV stuff and elsewhere for computers and appliances.

I think the last time I set foot in a circuit city was 2 years ago for a little $30 router, because they had the cheapest price of the stores that were still open that hour.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »
I thank the good Lord I have Fry's & Microcenter nearby.

If I didn't, 99% of my IT/electronics purchases would be made online.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 10:19:43 AM »
Those of us who live in Washington pay state sales tax on our Amazon purchases, since the company is headquartered in Seattle and thus has a physical presence in the state.  And unfortunately, there is only one Fry's in the state.  With the demise of CompUSA and now Circuit City, Best Buy is the sole remaining electronics chain of any size in Washington, and I am underwhelmed with their computer and computer accessory selection.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:23:41 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 12:06:34 PM »
All we have is Best Buy. I wish we could get a Fry's. That's the best electronics chain store I've been in. But even then, I find I'm usually better off using Amazon, Newegg, and a couple other online retailers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »
Ultimate Electronics moved in here a few years ago.  Their commercials claim they have people spying on CC and BB on a daily basis, so UE can always have the lowest price.  Always. 

Don't the other guys get a little annoyed that the same person (or people) keeps coming by, looking around, writing down prices, but never buying anything?  Or how does that work?  Do they just shop the web-site? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
Ultimate Electronics moved in here a few years ago.  Their commercials claim they have people spying on CC and BB on a daily basis, so UE can always have the lowest price.  Always. 

Don't the other guys get a little annoyed that the same person (or people) keeps coming by, looking around, writing down prices, but never buying anything?  Or how does that work?  Do they just shop the web-site? 

I coordinate some of this stuff for my company. We do it all online and by phone. Just call the physical store and ask the price of 2 or 3 items. You can't ask too much or they start to get suspicious.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »
Best Buy's total lack of competition now is going to do wonders for prices :(

They still have to compete with Fry's, Walmart, Sears, KMart, many other stores, and then all of the internets.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »
I'd love to have a Fry's somewhere in my neck of the woods.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »
IIRC, Ultimate Electronics was - somehow - tied in to an old, semi-high-end store called "Audio King" up in the Minneapolis area. UE opened up a couple of stores in & around Austin, but they didn't last, closing after only a couple of years.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 11:38:22 PM »
I'd love to have a Fry's somewhere in my neck of the woods.

Are there even Radio Shacks in your neck of the woods? ;)

mfree

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »
Radioshack?

You must remember that for some reason or another, there are a great number of people who refuse to set foot in that sh... that hole of a store, ever again, for any reason.

I'm quite literally shocked they're still in business, perhaps the model is just *that good* that it survives the complete and utter incompetency in the company from the store managers up the line to the Big Desk.

But I'm not bitter at all :)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2009, 06:37:47 PM »
Went to a CC in Austin yesterday. Got 30% off DVD's and 10% off everything else. Still had a pretty good inventory. May have to visit the Waco one in a week to see if prices go down any further.

I couldn't believe what Michael Savage had to say about that.  "If Circuit City folded, why didn't Best Buy fold, too?  How could one go under, and the other one survive?  I don't understand that." 

I already knew he was a lunatic rage-aholic, posing as a real conservative; I didn't realize that he is also a moron. 

I hope he was just pointing out the irony there.....but, knowing Savage, it's hard to tell....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.