Author Topic: Russia announces rearmament plan  (Read 6379 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Russia announces rearmament plan
« on: March 17, 2009, 05:30:10 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7947824.stm
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said Moscow will begin a comprehensive military rearmament from 2011.

Mr Medvedev said the primary task would be to "increase the combat readiness of [Russia's] forces, first of all our strategic nuclear forces".
Somehow I don't see the big'O reacting to this in any way that conveys a message of "Don't muck with us."  I also somehow doubt that Obama will match.....not that we have any money left over after his pet projects.

In short, lots of new spending and modernisation.  Partly due to things their invading Georgia uncovered, partly in response to things such as missile shield and Nato actions.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Russia announces rearmament plan
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »
The "appropriate" liberal response -
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2009/03/17/gates_readies_big_cuts_in_weapons/

Gates readies big cuts in weapons

WASHINGTON - As the Bush administration was drawing to a close, Robert M. Gates, whose two years as defense secretary had been devoted to wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, felt compelled to warn his successor of a crisis closer to home.

The United States "cannot expect to eliminate national security risks through higher defense budgets, to do everything and buy everything," Gates said. The next defense secretary, he warned, would have to eliminate some costly hardware and invest in new tools for fighting insurgents.

What Gates didn't know was that he would be that successor.

Now, as the only Bush Cabinet member to remain under President Obama, Gates is preparing the most far-reaching changes in the Pentagon's weapons portfolio since the end of the Cold War, according to aides.

(cont)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:49:36 PM »
I also somehow doubt that Obama will match..

Match... what? Even if all these increases go through, Russia will still be hopelessly outnumbered and outclasses. Half their MiG-29's can't even fly. They're planning on 3 more aircraft carriers. THat'll give them four carriers (one of them has parts falling off) to America's 15.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
Nukes capable of reaching America are all that really matter.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
Match... what? Even if all these increases go through, Russia will still be hopelessly outnumbered and outclasses. Half their MiG-29's can't even fly. They're planning on 3 more aircraft carriers. That'll give them four carriers (one of them has parts falling off) to America's 15.
You don't need to out number the carrier when you have enough planes to launch missiles said carriers can't counter.  Carriers are great for projecting force and sending a whole lot of whoop ass in one neat package, but it still takes a lot more then that to win a war.

Outclassed yes, but enough that if they wanted to really cause trouble we could stop them without a large effort?  Outnumbered....not so much.  In the air and on the sea maybe, but not on the ground.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 06:18:42 PM »
We've always been at war with Eurasia...

This is over the arctic oil reserves and diamond fields.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:20:18 PM »
So long as I can get decent razor blades and read to my hearts content I say bring it on =D

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:21:34 PM »
That's the thing about nukes. You have them, and nothing else really matters.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »
In the air and on the sea maybe, but not on the ground.

The Russian Ground Forces comprise 395,000 men, including 35,000 VDV troops. Of these men, almost 190,000 are conscripts. The Russian Army runs on a ratio of one officer per four enlisted men, as opposed to one officer per fifteen enlisted men, as in the West. Russian Army troops keep defecting and deserting because of starvation. 1000 Russian troops die or commit suicide every year due to abuse.

The Regular Army of the United States fields 547,000 men and women, professionals one and all. And if that isn't enough, America has the Marines

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:21 PM »
The Russian army wasn't in to good a shape in the late 30's either.  Don't discount enough conscripts that know what awaits them if they run off the battle field.  A large population means a lot of soldiers quickly.

Yes, man for man we beat them.  Hell, better then that even.  But you forget the majority of the west no longer has any stomach for war. 

The west is horrified over a few dozen casualties.  Imagine the uproar the next time we get into a war with a half decent opponent (Russia or otherwise) and we take a few hundred or a few thousand in one decent sized battle.  They no longer have to be better then us, they just have to be willing to kill and last longer then we will before pulling back.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 07:42:56 PM »
The problem is not just that Russia's army is smaller. It's also incompetent and horridly trained.

Because I am a Russian speaker, I read a lot of Russian sites on guns, Army training, etc. If you like, I will translate for you articles from the Russian media, written by Russian military officers about the state in which their Army is.

It's not about challenging America, it's about giving their people a decent national defense.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
Did anyone else read this as retirement plan and were very confused for a minute?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 05:18:57 AM »
Obama just responded. 

At this pivotal moment in world history, at a time of renewed understanding between our two great nations, the people of the United States would ask that the Russian leadership reconsider their recently-announced plan for rearmament.  Studies have shown that, if you have nuclear weapons in your arsenal, you are more likely to have the nuclear weapons taken away from you and used against you by an attacker.  The safest policy is non-resistance and to attempt to build a dialog. 

And if you all don't stop this right now - we want our overcharge button back. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »
The problem is not just that Russia's army is smaller. It's also incompetent and horridly trained.

Because I am a Russian speaker, I read a lot of Russian sites on guns, Army training, etc. If you like, I will translate for you articles from the Russian media, written by Russian military officers about the state in which their Army is.

It's not about challenging America, it's about giving their people a decent national defense.

%99 of everyone in a Russian uniform can be an utter blithering idiot, and if they have functional nukes capable of reaching the US it just doesn't matter.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »
China may have as many as 20 million men at arms in its various military and paramilitary forces. The numbers don't tell the whole story.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 01:19:13 PM »
20 million men at arms?  That's one heckuva big Parliament.   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »
...The west is horrified over a few dozen casualties.  Imagine the uproar the next time we get into a war with a half decent opponent (Russia or otherwise) and we take a few hundred or a few thousand in one decent sized battle.  They no longer have to be better then us, they just have to be willing to kill and last longer then we will before pulling back.

Repeated for truth!

And in this case the Truth will not set us free.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 03:27:28 PM »
20 million men at arms?  That's one heckuva big Parliament.   :O

China has many levels of "reserves" coming from every segment of life there. Think Airforce/Navy marksmanship training for basic recruits, now take away Airforce/Navy and replace it with "Orientation week at veterinary school" or some such thing. In theory service is mandatory, but they have a surplus of volunteers.

Maybe 10% of that 20 million number is anything close to what we'd consider "reserves". i.e. people the PLA could get into a gun, ammo, and a uniform, maybe some other gear. However, they have no way to get them anywhere, or supply them away from their homes for any length of time. The active PLA is about 2.5 million. That's still a heck of a lot of Chinamen...  :O However that covers all branches of their military, Army, Air-Force, Navy, and Marines, and whatever other branches they see themselves as having.

In essence the "20 Million" number is a propaganda tool created by being very generous, counting every Chinese person who ever marched and carried a rifle. Maybe even the "young pioneers" shooting airguns at Mao-camp or whatever it's called there.

Then assuming something close to the usual 90/10% split between logistical functions and actual trigger-pullers, that puts them around 250,000 people serving as active combat-arms positions. Of course those are huge assumptions on my part, but I could be off by an order of magnitude and it's still way under the "20 Million" number people bandy about as being "China's Military".

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:33:03 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 03:35:03 PM »
%99 of everyone in a Russian uniform can be an utter blithering idiot, and if they have functional nukes capable of reaching the US it just doesn't matter.

On this logic they don't need any rearmament.  =D

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 03:55:43 PM »
On this logic they don't need any rearmament.  =D

Nukes/ICBM's and IRBM's take a lot of maintenence and upkeep. And depending on the types of devices, there are radiological half lives of Tritium neutron enhancers in implosion fission "pits". And Neutron bombardment/saturation or outright transmutation of certain other key parts parts of the "pit" that can screw up a bomb's yield, or cause an outright "fizzle".

I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 04:15:52 PM »
We've always been at war with Eurasia...

I heard it was Eastasia
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »
>And if that isn't enough, America has the Marines<

Yes, but we were talking about the advantages the US has...  :laugh:
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 05:45:41 PM »
I heard it was Eastasia

Off to Room 101 with you!

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 06:10:50 PM »
China has many levels of "reserves" coming from every segment of life there. Think Airforce/Navy marksmanship training for basic recruits, now take away Airforce/Navy and replace it with "Orientation week at veterinary school" or some such thing. In theory service is mandatory, but they have a surplus of volunteers.
Thats why I phrased what I posted as I did. They have a lot of different paramilitary forces, some more like our police forces, others more like what we might think of as militias. The level of training and armaments varies widely. As I understand it, many of their paramilitary forces are not armed at all.

Heck, North Korea supposedly has around a million men at arms.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 07:55:08 PM »
Repeated for truth!

And in this case the Truth will not set us free.
The saddest part?  It will eventually happen.  Regardless of it being Russia, China, or another country.  Major wars with real opponents will come again, and we may not see WW2 type casualties but a few hundred to a few thousand a week in a decent battle?  Not just possible, probable for our future.  And most of America simply wouldn't stomach it.