Author Topic: anyone else watching Jericho?  (Read 4497 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
anyone else watching Jericho?
« on: October 04, 2006, 07:13:17 PM »
I heard about it on the glenn beck show and just watched my first episode tonight.
Kind of un realistic, wouldn't an EMP wipe out the cars and electrical grid?
Where are the guns!?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:31:34 PM »
I think they jury is still out on whether or not the show is accurate.

The power went out after tha blast.  Not immiedately, though, which is a bit unrealistic.  Electronics still seemed to work, those that could be powered by means other than the pwoer grid.  This is somewhat consistent with EMP.  Any sort of shielding would protect electronics, and simple devices like appliances, older style analog radios, and such-like, woud probably still function after EMP.

There were a few shotguns visible here and there amongst the crowds.  One of the main characters was handed a pistol from a friend who appeared to be carrying concealed.

The only person in town with a ham radio and a modicum or preparation was portrayed as a lunatic tin-foil type.  It was as if being better prepared for a disaster than your neighbors is prima facie evidence of nuttery.  Sad

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 07:39:06 PM »
Doesn't an EMP only affect devices that are powered on during the pulse?

It's more comforting for folks to think that being prepared is nutty than it is for them to admit that they are unprepared and at the mercy of fate.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 07:50:34 PM »
My understanding is that EMP is most likely to affect silicon-based electronics, stuff with chips inside of it, stuff that is usually sensitive to static discharge.  Older technology like discrete resistors, capacitors, inductors, switches, vacuum tubes, and so forth aren't terribly susceptible.  

A device doesn't need to be powered on to be damaged.  Actual EMP won't care.  A nuclear attack may cause surges in the power grid, similar to the surges you sometimes get in a lightning storm.  In that case, a device that is switched on may be more susceptible, since witching it on connects its innards to the power grid whereas switching it of disconnects its internals from the grid.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 02:57:42 AM »
Yes.
Its hollyweirded up, but so far its interesting.  I'm hooked.  However, I was hooked on Lost...and lost interest by the end of the first season.  Jericho better go somewhere quicker than Lost....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

client32

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 03:06:12 AM »
no
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »
I wanna see another reality show...

Call it "Second Chance." Get a buncha the losers from American Idol, Survivor, etc., up to a couple hundred to start, and put 'em about 100 yards apart around the edge of an island. Give 'em each a .45, one magazine, and a Ka-Bar... Tell 'em that the person who makes it to the center of the island and captures the flag gets their own tv show.

Buy lots and lots of Kevlar and bullet-proof minitanks for the camera crews.
Blog under construction

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 10:51:59 AM »
It is indeed "Hollywierded" up, but it's not too bad. However...

In Jericho: "Fallout" only happens during rainstorms, and is only dangerous for a few hours. If you don't have underground shelter, plastic sheets on the windows will do in a pinch.

In reality: You need to shelter for a minimum of two weeks for the worst isotopes to burn off, and even then, it's minimum exposure when absolutely necessary. More like a month.  Plastic sheets can help keep things "clean" of fallout dust, but the gamma and neutron radiation coming off that fallout will go through it like a hot knife through butter. Even a basment is marginal protection because of the exposed top of the foundation, and the wooden "roof" of the first floor is too thin.  

The best protection is a few feet of dirt, rock, or concrete.

The redeeming factor: At least Jericho mentioned fallout and treated it as a real concern, even if the on-screen execution was poor.

In Jericho: Tincture of Iodine cures radiation sickness.

In reality: Tincture of Iodine is POISONOUS. Ingesting anything other than a few drops used to disinfect water is a "bad thing". Many people, often children, died during the Chernobyl disaster trying this. You need KI Potassium Iodide pills. And even then it only protects your thyroid by "filling you up" with "good" iodine, which prevents the uptake of radioactive Iodine 131 in the fallout. All the other fallout isotopes are still deadly. Even then radioactive iodine outside your body will still be irradiating you...

The redeeming factor: At least they knew something about the Iodine. However, it has the potential to poison however many millions of sheeple who's only knowledge of iodine and nuclear war/disaster was what they just saw on TV...

The way they treated EMP wasn't too bad. It takes large bombs detonated at high altitude to create widespread EMP effects.  Groundbursts minimize it much closer to the line-of-sight horizon, the ground absorbs the rest. Even in a "worst case" EMP scenario where it's detonated to maximize the effects, electronics connected to some kind of antenna, long pieces of metal like pipes, power lines or fencing are the most affected, because the antenna collects the EMP and creates voltages in the line the longer the antenna is.

Small rural power grids could posibly protect themselves with breakers, surge strips on computers, breakers and fuses inside appliances, and stand alone items like cars might survive better than people would initialy think within a few hundred miles of a groundburst.

Although the local EMP from the Atlanta blast would have cut off the poor kid's mom from leaving that phone message the second it detonated. The line would have gone dead instantaneously.

If the show dosen't get any more "soap opera-y" than it is now, and the main drama is confined to the survival chalenges. I'll keep watching.

Next week, the RADIATION SICKNESS HORDES OF DENVER ARE COMING! Cheesy
I promise not to duck.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 06:02:01 AM »
that show rules.  can't wait til tonight.

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 06:24:35 AM »
Nobody in town has a shortwave radio receiver?

This show needs a THR member caricature, ASAP.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 06:57:33 AM »
Quote from: Telperion
Nobody in town has a shortwave radio receiver?

This show needs a THR member caricature, ASAP.
There is at least one guy but the show makes him out to be a Art Bell-esque nut.

Theory-
The "ex-LEO" from St. Louis=terrorist involved or .gov agent? Involved or at least knew before hand what was going on?
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

atek3

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 07:01:39 AM »
just out of PC-ness they can't make the only black guy a bad guy. it would be like an action movie killing off the black guy...

atek3

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 07:09:26 AM »
Quote from: atek3
just out of PC-ness they can't make the only black guy a bad guy. it would be like an action movie killing off the black guy...

atek3
Like in Predator? Both black team members got smucked.
Like in Doom? Both black team members got smucked as well as the Rock.
Like in aliens? Both black team members got smucked.

Trust me, they will make him a bad guy but justify it somehow thru moral relativism.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

atek3

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 08:10:03 AM »
my point is killing the black dude is such a lame cliche.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 08:44:15 AM »
Quote from: atek3
my point is killing the black dude is such a lame cliche.
My bad, I misunderstood your point. Sad

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 09:48:02 AM »
Quote from: Bogie
I wanna see another reality show...

Call it "Second Chance." Get a buncha the losers from American Idol, Survivor, etc., up to a couple hundred to start, and put 'em about 100 yards apart around the edge of an island. Give 'em each a .45, one magazine, and a Ka-Bar... Tell 'em that the person who makes it to the center of the island and captures the flag gets their own tv show.

Buy lots and lots of Kevlar and bullet-proof minitanks for the camera crews.
My idea has always been to take them all as suggested, put them on an island in the middle of nowhere and leave them there until there is only one left. That person would be the survivor and wins whatever.

Once someone said to me, "You'd KILL them all?!?" with a really shocked expression on her face. I said, "No, I wouldn't kill them, I'd just let them die." Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Re: anyone else watching Jericho?
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 10:03:03 PM »
It's not a bad show, but I wish anyone watching it could go back and watch Jeremiah on Showtime.  It starred Luke Perry and Malcolm-Jamaal Warner and was on in 2003.  Its story was a virus killed everyone on earth over the age of 15, and 10 years later the survivors were, well, trying to survive.

It was the best apocalyptic style program I've ever seen.   Ran for two years, got cancelled when its creator threw a temper tantrum against the company producing it and pulled the plug.

It was superior to Jericho in every way, IMO.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 04:13:58 AM »
He's not a bad guy (yet).....lessee...he's so far helped the town with the fallout, security, and other matters.....
I think he's some kind of government agent.  CIA or something.  They had advance warning, but couldn't do anything about it in time to save anyone without causing widespread panic.  I guess we'll see if they cliche' him as the bad guy or a dead guy...

So far this show is pretty good (to me).  Obviously hollyweird's going off what they think and making stuff up on the fly.  But to me TV  and Movies are for escapisim.  I despise "reality" TV because its not real.  At least with traditionally produced TV and Movies I know its not real and as long as its not too fked up I can get on board and enjoy it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 04:19:33 AM »
I'm kinda frustrated with the show.  The first half to 2/3 of an episode make me want to turn it off, but the last bit makes me tune in the following week.  It's not completely bad or completely good, just good enough to keep me hooked.  Heroes is the same way.  rolleyes

Chris

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 05:32:32 AM »
I'm kinda frustrated with the show.  The first half to 2/3 of an episode make me want to turn it off, but the last bit makes me tune in the following week.  It's not completely bad or completely good, just good enough to keep me hooked.  Heroes is the same way.  rolleyes

Chris

This discribes the show to a "T" for me as well. "Just good enough to keep me coming back."

IMO, the problem is that the show is trying too hard to compete with "LOST". In the closed Twilight Zone environment of LOST, the writers can do whatever they want, and all the dangling mystery is part of the game that you know your signing up for as a viewer.

With "Jericho", even though it's fictional, the more realistic setting, and semi-realistic disaster make you expect more concrete information. The added "mystery" seems contrived and unnatural, and in this context it hinders suspension of disbelief, and makes it a weaker show.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 06:28:29 AM »

Chris

This discribes the show to a "T" for me as well. "Just good enough to keep me coming back."

IMO, the problem is that the show is trying too hard to compete with "LOST". In the closed Twilight Zone environment of LOST, the writers can do whatever they want, and all the dangling mystery is part of the game that you know your signing up for as a viewer.

With "Jericho", even though it's fictional, the more realistic setting, and semi-realistic disaster make you expect more concrete information. The added "mystery" seems contrived and unnatural, and in this context it hinders suspension of disbelief, and makes it a weaker show.

I disagree.  The recent relevation that DC is gone in the show easily explains the information vacum.
Also, I think Hawkins knows who did it.
JD

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 07:13:35 AM »
The show seems to be losing it's realism . . . for example, the missles that were fired shook the town, but the mayor commented that the nearest silos were over 100 miles away . . . and then there was the EMP burst right afterwards that fried everything. (Did we EMP ourselves?)

Then there's the horse thieves that nearly killed Jake's mother, and everyone's insistence that nobody actually should DO anything. Then Jake goes out and lets himself be sucker-punched and dragged into a barn, only to be rescued by his brother & a deputy who get the drop on one of the horse thieves who's about to shoot Jake. Of course, rather than SHOOT the bad guy when he turns with a shotgun, the brother and deputy duck, and stay conveniently hidden so the fleeing horse thief can make his way across the yard, jump on Ol' Dobbin, and make good his escape . . . whereupon the good guys (belatedly) exit the barn and stare at the bad guy in the distance.

The show is so uneven it makes me think there's a committee of writers involved, and they don't talk to each other before the scripts are stapled together.

I have to agree with the earlier comment that the "mystery" is beginning to appear contrived and unnatural.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 07:23:02 AM »
I'm not complaining about the news blackout.

Who bombed the US, Why, who got bombed? That's all very realistic and part of the show I like.

I can't remember if it was here or in GT, but I even suggested that the only news the town should get is an asian guy screaming on the shortwave, and all you hear is United States, a couple of times so you know he's talking about them, but no idea what he's saying.

Then when the satelite dish picked up that Asian newscast for a second, I was ROTFL that they "stole" my idea.

What I am complaining about is the whole "mystery men" side plots, or at least the way it's being handled. Jake's past, and little drips and drabs about Hawkins with his laptop etc. It's overly melodramatic.

It's like the writers are screaming "WOO HOO! LOOK AT THE BIG SECRETS WE"RE NOT TELLING YOU!  WOOOOOOOAH! TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!" They're just telegraphing it so hard, trying to compete with LOST&

That's what bugs me.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 08:05:08 AM »
It's like the writers are screaming "WOO HOO! LOOK AT THE BIG SECRETS WE"RE NOT TELLING YOU!  WOOOOOOOAH! TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!" They're just telegraphing it so hard, trying to compete with LOST&
Exactly. (As for Lost . . . aside from the silliness of the BIG unseen monster that was eating people, I quit watching Lost when the group was attacked by a polar bear in the jungle and were OUTRAGED that the guy who saved them used a GUN they felt he shouldn't have had . . . and then he let himself be disarmed.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 08:10:18 AM »
Find a TV show that is perfectly realisitic.  Good luck.
My point is the show has an interesting premise and its entertaining to try and follow the plot.  Some holes in it? Sure.  Unrealistic things?  Sure as hell.  But I'm real curious where its going and at this point I'm hooked.  Will I lose interest (Lost all interest in lost....) maybe....who knows....
JD