Author Topic: The Marine Corps is getting rid of me!  (Read 2107 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
The Marine Corps is getting rid of me!
« on: August 08, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
As some of ya'll may recall, I've been an infantry Marine for the last two years. Ever since I've been back from Iraq I've been having some emotional issues. I've been trying to deal with them myself, but recently one of my buddies got worried about me and expressed concerns to the chain of command. They sent me to see the MO (medical officer) who sent me to see the psych, who put me in for administrative separation! He told me it'll be an "honorable" discharge, not "general under honorable conditions" which is what I believe most medical separations are.

I must say I'm shocked. I feel terrible that I won't be fulfilling the contract I signed, but I must admit it'll probably be better for myself and my wife in the long run. I wish I'd tried to get help for the whole thing before it got to the point of getting ad sep'ed. I really wanted to go back to Iraq.

Of course I'm scrambling to make arrangements for after I'm out. Where will we live, what kind of job will I get etc. That's sorta where this forum comes in. I have a few ideas about where I want to live, and a few options about the work I'd like to do. I'm hoping the good people of this forum will be able to provide some guidance to help me on my way.

First off is the timeline. Absolute quickest I'll be out is ~1 month. Average is 3-5 months, 9-12 months isn't unusual, and rare cases could keep me here until I'm supposed to get out anyway. The states we're considering are Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Job opportunity, housing costs, political freedom (esp gun and home schooling laws), the availability of a local church we can relate to, and climate (not a freakin' desert) are the top factors we're concerned about. Lastly is a career/schooling. My wife wants to finish her nursing degree, and I'll need schooling. Eventually I'd like to go through a full EMT course (I completed the abbreviated version offered for Marines) but I may need to take a job until my wife can find a nursing job. I'm considering either the post office (stable, decent pay, preferred status as a veteran) or truck driving (good pay, flexible schedule, always in demand).

In any case, I'm still conflicted about the whole deal. I'd appreciate any thoughts and prayers ya'll could send my way, as well as any advice about getting separated, finding a place to live, or a job when I get there. Thanks.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:25:07 PM »
Balog,

I don't recall off hand the nature of the emotional issues you've experienced since returning from Iraq, but I've always taken the stance that there are just some jobs that some people are not ment to do.  Being a combat Marine may be one of those jobs for you, like being a Animal Cop would not be good for me.  If the Marine Corp. recognizes this in you, and it sounds like they do, the honorable termination of your contact and parting of ways sounds like the best course of action all round.

As far as post service location, parts of Wyoming can be pretty freaking desolate (I like in Colorado, which is no verdant forest), and parts are very nicely vegetated.  Can't speak on schools and jobs, since I dont live there or Wash/Idaho.  Biker on THR is up in Idaho IIRC, so maybe ask him about that area.

Best wishes on your new path in life, and Thank You for your time under arms. Smiley
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »
I feel terrible that I won't be fulfilling the contract I signed, but I must admit it'll probably be better for myself and my wife in the long run.
If you think that, and the MC think that, then it probably is. And from where I'm standing, they broke the contract, not you.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:05:39 PM »
Look at Eastern Washington, around Spokane.

Have your wife look at the Intercollegiate Colleg of Nursing ( http://www.icne.wsu.edu/05c.asp ). Rather than have a lot of schools with a nursing program, they have combined to make a better program. I started my Master's in Nursing there, and was happy with the program.

It is also a larger city that will afford you better chance at finding a job. There is also a large VA hospital, and clinics in the area.

I think you and your wife could do well there. There is a lot to do, yet is still a little country. It is close to ID and MT so you could explore possibilites for when she finishes her nursing degree.

bob

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 02:42:33 PM »
Look into the National Park service, they also give preference to vets and it'll be more interesting work than the post office. A lot of my old Navy buddies ended up as Park Rangers and they all love the work.

Good luck with your future endeavors and thanks for your devotion to service. We'll be here if you need us.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 03:50:16 PM »
Don't ever let anyone say you didn't cut it.  Boot camp, a tour of duty....it ain't easy and you saw more than your fair share by serving in a combat zone.  
Start here if you're looking for work in those western states
http://www.nps.gov/personnel/
http://www.opm.gov/
Both give preference to vets.  
If you signed up for the GI bill, find a good place to go to College.
Also, consider Utah and Colorado.  The bigger cities aren't cheap, but many outlying communties in both states are very good living.
Semper Fi,
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

P95Carry

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 07:23:04 PM »
Hi John - long time no speak!

Well - hard to comment right now but I can imagine some of your inner turmoil.  You will of course need to make plans but - I am wondering if those plans need to be super quick.  Meaning - let some time pass and perhaps a door or two will open without too much effort on your part.  You have some good thoughts already tho.

I am imagining tho one big plus - putting other apects aside - and that is, a future shared more fully with Mrs Balog Smiley  Time is basically on your side.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 02:39:38 AM »
Balog,
You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, you have a lot to be proud of for the rest of your life! You are a Marine. Thanks for your service, and thanks to your wife for hers as well. Now look forward, not back.

Good luck Jarhead.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 05:17:19 PM »
I can tell you that, not having served, I don't fully know what you're going through.   But, having had some of the problems you're experiencing now I can say they never would have accepted me in the first place.  You made it through boot camp, you've served in war, and you are a Marine.

I will tell you not to rush into something like buying a house.  Avail yourself of all the psychiatric and emotional services that the Corps and the VA make available-PTSD can serious and lifelong if you try to ignore it or bury it.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »
Something similar happened to me when I was active duty in the early 90s. The shrink said she would recommend that I be given a medical discharge, and then I never heard another word about it. In hindsight I'm glad.

Whatever happens, hang in there. You did your duty, a hell of a lot more than most people ever do.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 01:34:19 PM »
I appreciate the comments. I'm coming to peace with the situation, and life is already beginning to turn around. Slowly, but any progress is a positive.

Chris, so nice to see you again. Sorry I haven't been much of a correspondent; I've been a bit distracted. I'll be checking out the resources ya'll have pointed out, but maybe you're right. The longer I have to get back to normal before stressing out about jobs etc the better.

Thanks again to everyone. I'll be checking in as often as possible.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 04:15:57 PM »
Balog,

You mentioned wanting a small church to which you and your family can relate.  If you believe in God, then you know God does not close a door of opportunity without opening another.  If you are being released from the Marine Corps, God has another place of service for you.

And, better you should get out now before the 'issues' that bother grow into something like the Monster That Ate Cleveland.  Make sure you get the shrink benefits you deserve.  A little talking now can save a lot of grief later.

I'll be praying for you.  And remember to breath.  That's the key.
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 03:14:05 PM »
Well, a lot has gone on since the last post. My unit was away for a month; this was good in that it was like a vacation with everyone gone, but bad in that nothing happened with my paperwork. Since they got back they don't know what to do with my. I check in of a morning, but I'm not supposed to be aound the platoon for some reason, so I just go home.

I used my tuition assistance ($4500 a year for schooling) to enroll in a CDL program. Truck driving seems like a decent short term option. Always in demand, decent pay, can be done anywhere etc. Not what I want to do forever, but it takes some of the stress off the immediate future.

We've decided on Washington State as our destination. Can't beat the climate, decent job opportunities, and we've got goods friends living there who've offered to help us until we get on our feet. Not the best gun laws, and uber-liberal in the western part of the state; but all in all it should work out for the best.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 03:40:22 PM »
Hey... Don't discount the military as a whole... Maybe you're not cut out for Infantry (thinking too much is not always conducive to soldiering... Not a bad thing, just a different thing, you know? And you strike me as _far_ more intelligent than the average bullet-catcher...), but hey, support's needed too... Check into medic work, etc... Heck, there's even a need for Chaplain's assistants...

See if your chain of command could go lateral, instead of out?
Blog under construction

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 03:49:44 PM »
Quote from: Bogie
Hey... Don't discount the military as a whole... Maybe you're not cut out for Infantry (thinking too much is not always conducive to soldiering... Not a bad thing, just a different thing, you know? And you strike me as _far_ more intelligent than the average bullet-catcher...), but hey, support's needed too... Check into medic work, etc... Heck, there's even a need for Chaplain's assistants...

See if your chain of command could go lateral, instead of out?
Yeah, I tried that. They promised me I'd be moved, then never said another word for a couple months, then told me it was canc'ed with no explanation. I approached the people I was supposed to be transferred to, they called my chain of command who decided to make my life as bad as they possibly could. I was literally told I was going to be thrashed and harrassed until I was in so much trouble I'd get NJP'ed and/or court martialed. Stupid stuff: monstrously anal one man uniform inspections, doing one man windsprints for hours etc. Honestly that whole situation was what pushed me over the edge. I know it probably isn't like this everywhere, but after I had a guy come to my house as I was bedridden with an injury and threaten and demean me in front of my wife I swore I'd never let anyone have that much power over me ever again.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 04:10:39 PM »
Balog,

Sorry to hear about your situation. If they mistreat you like that, whatever the reason, be glad you are getting out. Thank you for your service and risking your bacon out there.

Now that you'd be back to civilian life, why not consider doing some consulting for security companies? Always look at what sets you apart from the herd. You have boot-level experience in a current combat zone. You can teach a bunch of tricks to freshman mercs. It may pay very very well at least for some time, while you otherwise stabilize your situation and due to flexible hours might allow you to get a degree or two, especially with govt support. If you keep up with your technical training and connections with/within USMC, this experience may set you up on an interesting and profitable career path. One day, you may even start your own business, once you learn the ropes from your employers. Think about it.

Good luck!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 04:23:01 PM »
Sounds like your immediate command needs a checkup from the neck up... Someone's obviously made you his life's work, and when you're gone, some other poor SOB will get targeted... Likely you'll get blamed for his screwups, and he'll say things like "We would have gotten that unit citation if it hadn't been for Private Smith." Might not hurt to get free of those folks, and check into other avenues... Not necessarily the Corps... Nothing against jarheads in general, but some of those folks have been a bit too tightly wrapped a bit too long... Seriously - you've got two years in, you know how the system works, and you're 18 years away from retirement. I'm 45, and about 18 years away from retirement.
Blog under construction

Lobotomy Boy

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 04:55:38 PM »
A very good friend of mine was screwed over by the Marines in exactly this way. He's doing great now--he's got a great job in the motorcycle industry, which is a dream come true for him. Things seem to happen for a reason. Still, it torques me off to no end to see how our government treats its vets, people who deserve to be treated like heroes, not swept under the rug.
Raging against tyranny since 2006.