Author Topic: Dry Ice  (Read 2762 times)

spinr

Dry Ice
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:36:24 AM »
I just received an item that was shipped frozen, in a styrofoam cooler cube packed with dry ice.  

There's still a fair amount of the ice left.  About four or five pieces the size of an adult hand, roughly 1/2" thick; and a few smaller "chips".

I've seen all the little elementary science experiments list in various places on the web, but I was wondering...

Can y'all suggest anything really awesome to do with it?

Smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Dry Ice
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:01:15 AM »
okay don't try this at home

and if you do, do it outside

from this website
Materials

-1 plastic bottle with screw on lid(YOU MUST HAVE THE LID!(size doesnt matter...the bigger the better though). Get this anywhere.

-Water. Get this from the sink.

-Dry Ice. If you have an icecream man ever go by your house ask him if you can have a chunk of Dry Ice....if he asks say you guys are having a picknick and need it for cooling of Hamburger or something. They usually will give it.

Assembly

Take your Plasic bottle and fill it up about a quarter the way with water (thats how i like to do em) the less water the more time but the louder, you can put more or less in though...up to you. Get the dry ice slide a couple of into the bottle (as long as they can fit in the bottle they will be big enough) then Immediatly put on your lid (SCREW IT ON TIGHT. Throw it somewhere or get far away from it (due to plastic shrapenal) and wait 4 or 5 mins (DO NOT GO LOOKING FOR IT IF IT DOESNT GO OFF!) and BOOM it is really loud! i mean loud. something i like to do once and a while is...to throw one really big one in a sewer at 1:00am, and then another like a minute after i throw it then another like 1 min after i throw it.... then In succesion they go BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! its tight.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Dry Ice
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:06:56 AM »
You don't have to add water, but it will speed things up.

Those things will shatter a commercial plate-glass window.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Dry Ice
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 10:32:50 AM »
Got kids? I used to toss a piece in the toilet and run and get the kids so they could see it overflowing with fog. They LOVED it. Cheesy

Got any warts? You can freeze em off if you want to. Only get the wart so you need a tiny piece and something to hold it with Tweezers or the like. Freeze it once till it's white, let it thaw, do it again. The wart will blister up and fall off after a week or so. Relatively painless.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Dry Ice
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Got kids? I used to toss a piece in the toilet and run and get the kids so they could see it overflowing with fog. They LOVED it. Cheesy

Got any warts? You can freeze em off if you want to. Only get the wart so you need a tiny piece and something to hold it with Tweezers or the like. Freeze it once till it's white, let it thaw, do it again. The wart will blister up and fall off after a week or so. Relatively painless.
painless my ass..  stuff burns, be there tried it and it didn't work. But of course the wart was the size of a lima bean and half under my thumb nail.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

280plus

• friend
Dry Ice
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:45:39 AM »
Yea, that under the nail stuff, I can see where that might be the exception. Owwie...

TarpleyG

• friend
Dry Ice
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 11:12:08 AM »
Yeah....we aren't gonna ask how you know that.

Greg

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
Dry Ice
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 11:19:42 AM »
It's better if you don't Wink

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Dry Ice
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 11:23:30 AM »
Speak for yourself.  I wanna hear the story!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Dry Ice
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 11:34:04 AM »
I can second the in the toilet gag...kids love it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
Dry Ice
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 11:41:35 AM »
Wasn't actually me that did it.

My sister's boyfriend (back in the mid 80s) was ripped off by a guitar shop, not paid for a couple of weeks worth of repair work that he did for them. He put a bunch of dry ice in a 2 liter bottle and set it next to their front window one night.

Big store-front window: all gone.

I used to enjoy filling soda cans with 50/50 mix of O2 and acetylene, then lighting it with the torch. Make sure you have double ear/eye protection if you do that. It shatters the can into hundreds of shards. A friend of mine blew the windows out of his school fooling around with that. It's even louder inside the steel hull of a navy ship.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Dry Ice
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 11:41:37 AM »
My car has a turbo and a hood scoop for the intercooler.

Some guys on one of the other forums I frequent (imagine that!) stuck some pcs in the intercooler.  Did 2 things:
1.  Since turbos like colder air, made the car insanely fast.
2.  When stopped at a light, the car was "fogging", much like your toilet story...
One day at a time.

280plus

• friend
Dry Ice
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 11:47:35 AM »
Heading down to the ox/aceylene rig with an empty soda can...

No, not really...

Wink

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
Dry Ice
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »
A balloon or plastic bag works as well, especially with a little cannon-fuse.

We had one knucklehead light a balloon full of acetylene with a bic lighter. Having a thin film of melted rubber laid on one's hand sure looks painful.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Dry Ice
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 12:04:03 PM »
acetylene tends to burn unevenly and will often make long threads of black carbonish crap that gets all over the chemistry lab.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Dry Ice
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 12:07:50 PM »
Quote from: wingnutx
I used to enjoy filling soda cans with 50/50 mix of O2 and acetylene, then lighting it with the torch. Make sure you have double ear/eye protection if you do that. It shatters the can into hundreds of shards. A friend of mine blew the windows out of his school fooling around with that. It's even louder inside the steel hull of a navy ship.
I've filled baloons with O2/acetylene. On a calm night, toss one over the campfire and the hot air rising will hold it there until it eventually drops into the coals and bursts. You don't want to be close when it does.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Dry Ice
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 02:51:31 PM »
Quote from: ilbob
acetylene tends to burn unevenly and will often make long threads of black carbonish crap that gets all over the chemistry lab.
oh yes it does..  hee hee

Uranus is a gas giant.

Maser

• friend
    • The Teen Guns Forum
Dry Ice
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 03:02:37 PM »
Why must life be so hard? Why must I cry? Why must I be so wrong? Why must I die?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Dry Ice
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 03:20:38 PM »
No ideas for dry ice, but I've seen a friend fill a gallon milk jug, with a tight fitting lid, with an oxy/acetyline mixture then shoot it with a .22.  It makes a nice boom.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Nightfall

• friend
Dry Ice
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »
Quote from: charby
okay don't try this at home

and if you do, do it outside

from this website
Materials

-1 plastic bottle with screw on lid(YOU MUST HAVE THE LID!(size doesnt matter...the bigger the better though). Get this anywhere.

-Water. Get this from the sink.

-Dry Ice. If you have an icecream man ever go by your house ask him if you can have a chunk of Dry Ice....if he asks say you guys are having a picknick and need it for cooling of Hamburger or something. They usually will give it.

Assembly

Take your Plasic bottle and fill it up about a quarter the way with water (thats how i like to do em) the less water the more time but the louder, you can put more or less in though...up to you. Get the dry ice slide a couple of into the bottle (as long as they can fit in the bottle they will be big enough) then Immediatly put on your lid (SCREW IT ON TIGHT. Throw it somewhere or get far away from it (due to plastic shrapenal) and wait 4 or 5 mins (DO NOT GO LOOKING FOR IT IF IT DOESNT GO OFF!) and BOOM it is really loud! i mean loud. something i like to do once and a while is...to throw one really big one in a sewer at 1:00am, and then another like a minute after i throw it then another like 1 min after i throw it.... then In succesion they go BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! its tight.
We did this in the 8th grade while the teacher was out of the room. One girl screamed and was swearing up and down that her life had flashed before her eyes, so sure was she of impending death. Tongue
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Dry Ice
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 06:10:29 PM »
Well, if you've still got the stuff around, you could try making ice cream with it.  Be interesting to see if it works, I know it does if you use liquid nitrogen. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Dry Ice
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 11:41:12 PM »
Of course, you could melt the dry ice, then go swimming without getting wet. Cheesy
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
Dry Ice
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 04:33:33 AM »
Possibly ear drums as well.

In my last job, I spent 2 years working in a small lab many miles away from our main facility, usually with 1 or 2 other chemists. On a particularly slow day, we took a 20 oz coke bottle, filled it with dry ice, capped it tight and threw it in a bucket of hot water on our loading dock. The three of us ducked behind a doorway and watched. The bottle made hissing and crinkling sounds, suddenly there was a deafening BOOM!  It was louder than any rifle shot I've ever heard, we all had ringing ears for awhile, one guy was having problems hearing out of one of his ears for a couple of days afterward.

Making loud noises is a lot of fun for guys, but I really reccommend not trying this unless you are far out in the sticks, are extremely careful, and put a good distance between yourself and the explosion.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Dry Ice
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 05:39:56 AM »
When I was in high school in the late 80's - early 90's and I worked at a supermarket, we'd make these every now and again, out of dry ice from the ice-cream shipments, and chuck them in the trash compactors to muffle the noise a bit.

(The other thing we'd do is "skate" on the dry ice. We'd prop a pair of boots on the dry ice in the freezer so they'd get cold enough on the soles to stop sublimating the dry ice for a few seconds, then try to "skate" on the blocks, you could usually go a few frictionless feet, if you didn't break your tailbone. Which was fine, because that few seconds was about all your feet could stand in the boots&)

I was a lowly bag-boy, but I took every odd job they offered as an excuse to roam the store, so I got to witness lots of the warehouse shenanigans&

When the managers would come running to see what the boom was, the stockers always had a convenient excuse of some pallet "slapping" the floor really loudly, or they'd say the forklift accidentally popped a 2 liter of soda.

There was a rather nerdy dumb-ass kid who was also a bag-boy (and no, I'm not referring to myself in the third person suddenly) who just had to make one for himself. He used a 1 liter seltzer bottle from the damaged goods pile, and dumped about a pound of cracked dry ice into it. Then he chucked it into the recycled cardboard compactor.

He then went into the compactor to get it when it hadn't gone off for a few minutes. The stockers were screaming at him to get out of the compactor which is a huge no-no, obviously. But he came forth with the dry-ice bomb hanging from his fingers by the cap, and then the stockers started screaming at him to drop the bomb, as it was on it's "terminal swelling" right before it would burst.

T H U M P!

This was the first dry-ice bomb to ever go off without being contained in the dumpster. It made all the glass sliding doors at the other end of the 25,000 sqft store jiggle as the shockwave hit them.

He had a 1 foot long hematoma on his thigh next to where the bottle was dangling from his hand. Half his hand was a blood-blister, one broken finger, and the web between his thumb and index finger was torn down to the joint, and he was temporarily deaf.

Amazingly, THEY DIDN'T FIRE HIM! I guess they were afraid of a lawsuit for improper supervision or some such&

They did start making the ice cream distributor take the dry ice with them after the shipments though, ending our fun.

We had to resort to playing football on the roof through the jimmied access hatch, and "light saber" fights under the high tension lines behind the store with spare fluorescent tubes which made them glow...
I promise not to duck.

Snowdog

• friend
Dry Ice
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 02:27:36 AM »
A 2 liter Mountain Dew bottle will obliterate a 3 cubic foot sealed plywood woofer box.  

If duct-taped to a concrete block and submerged in a large Rubbermaid trash filled with water (in attempts to muffle the sound), you'll end up with a trash can torn from top to bottom in three or more places and water everywhere!  And it's still insanely loud.  

Very fun but quite dangerous.  Be careful!