Author Topic: 7-11 drops Citgo as it fuel supplier  (Read 9294 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
7-11 drops Citgo as it fuel supplier
« on: September 28, 2006, 04:17:41 AM »
Finally, a good result of Hugo Chavez's ranting.  7-11 is dropping Citgo as its fuel supplier for 2100 stores.  Yes, I know they say it doesn't have anything to do with Chubby's ranting but the timing makes it seem more than just a coincidence.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_on_bi_ge/7_eleven_citgo

DALLAS - 7-Eleven Inc. dropped Venezuela-owned Citgo as its gasoline supplier after more than 20 years as part of a previously announced plan by the convenience store operator to launch its own brand of fuel.
ADVERTISEMENT

7-Eleven officials said Wednesday that the decision was partly motivated by politics.

Citgo Petroleum Corp. is a Houston-based subsidiary of Venezuela's state-run oil company and 7-Eleven is worried that anti-American comments made by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez might prompt motorists to fill-up elsewhere.

Chavez has called
President George W. Bush the devil and an alcoholic. The U.S. government has warned that Chavez is a destabilizing force in Latin America.

"Regardless of politics, we sympathize with many Americans' concern over derogatory comments about our country and its leadership recently made by Venezuela's president," said 7-Eleven spokeswoman Margaret Chabris.

"Certainly Chavez's position and statements over the past year or so didn't tempt us to stay with Citgo," she added.

Instead, 7-Eleven, which sells gasoline at 2,100 of its 5,300 U.S. stores, will now purchase fuel from several distributors, including Tower Energy Group of Torrance, Calif., Sinclair Oil of Salt Lake City, and Houston-based Frontier Oil Corp.

Chabris said 7-Eleven's decision to sell its own brand was based on many factors, including Citgo's decision this summer to stop supplying stations in parts of Texas and other states to focus on retailers closer to its refineries in Corpus Christi, Lake Charles, La., and Lemont, Ill.

But 7-Eleven had been considering creating its own brand of fuel since at least early last year, and some analysts suggested 7-Eleven may now be hyping the political angle as a way to curry favor with U.S. consumers.

"This has nothing to do with Chavez," said Oil Price Information Service director Tom Kloza. "They (7-Eleven) just didn't want to be tied to one supplier."

Kloza said all 7-Eleven did was seek out suppliers who could sell it the cheapest fuel and "that was not Citgo."

Citgo spokesman Fernando Garay declined to comment on whether Chavez's comments had a bearing on 7-Eleven's change in suppliers. He said the break was "a mutual agreement of the two companies."

Garay said 7-Eleven was a "significant" part of Citgo's retail presence in Texas and Florida. "It was a valued relationship," he said.

In July, Citgo decided to stop distributing gasoline to 1,800 independently owned U.S. stations because it was a lackluster segment of its business.

In order to meet service contracts at 13,100 Citgo-branded stations across the U.S., Citgo had to purchase 130,000 barrels a day from third parties  a less profitable business model than selling gasoline directly from its refineries.

Citgo was founded in 1910 as the Cities Service Co., according to the company Web site, and 7-Eleven's predecessor, The Southland Corp., bought Citgo from Occidental Petroleum in 1983.

7-Eleven sold half its interest in Citgo in 1986 and the remaining stake in 1990 to Petroleos de Venezuela SA.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:27:37 AM »
Great news.  Does anyone know any other chains that deal with CITGO?

Gas is 1.99 here. Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 04:43:57 AM »
A small chain of gas stations in this area called Road Ranger also dropped Citgo for much the same reason. It is mostly for show though. For the most part the small differences between brands are in the blending. The gas that comes up the pipeline is all the same. At the terminal it is blended with additives that are slightly different for the different brands. There is no way for anyone to know where the gasoline they are buying actually originated from.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 04:48:28 AM »
Most smart people know the gasoline at stations comes from pipeline terminals that could have been refined by any company

...but 7-11 paid a franchise fee to Citgo to put the name on the sign and services that Citgo offered (like gas credit cards). So less money to go to Chavez.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 04:50:39 AM »
I just filled two vehicles last night for 1.99 per.  Tongue

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 04:58:52 AM »
Quote from: fistful
I just filled two vehicles last night for 1.99 per.  Tongue
gotcha beat I filled up Tuesday night at 1.96 per gallon. Finally under $20 to fill my car up.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 05:02:21 AM »
Dude, why you gotta harsh my mellow?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 05:05:11 AM »
I doubt it had much to do with the recent rantings.  Large companies can't move that fast, so I tend to believe the reports from 7-11 that this was in motion months ago (including farming out bids).  Not that I oppose the move...

The cheapest gas I've seen in the NoVa region has been $2.05.  That's still a welcome change from the $3+ it's been in the past year.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 05:05:20 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Dude, why you gotta harsh my mellow?
Cause you do it all the time.. ha

Uranus is a gas giant.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 05:11:31 AM »
I saw $1.82 advertised the other day.  Didn't buy any, though.

I think the execs at 7-11 have seen the writing on the wall.  Huga Chavez is not a stable man.  It simply makes good sense, as a long term business practice, to do business with better and more reliable people.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 06:40:39 AM »
Good on 7-11, whatever the reason.
Gas is still over $2.50 here. Sad

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 08:00:51 AM »
Anything to send a message to that lunatic is good.  I was driving the other day and really needed gas.  I saw a station and thought I'd pull in.  I noticed it was a Citgo and kept looking for the next station.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 03:52:22 PM »
I think everyone should request a Citgo credit card...then cut it up and return it.  There is only ONE Citgo station in the Columbus metro area (1.5 million people).  That's one too many.  

http://www.citgo.com/CreditCash/CITGOCards/CITGOPlus.jsp

tulsamal

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
Most smart people know the gasoline at stations comes from pipeline terminals that could have been refined by any company
Exactly. All the gasoline in your local town comes from the same place. Whatever refinery is the closest. Specific brands pay extra for specific additives but the base gasoline all comes from the same place. The Citgo refineries are in TX and LA so most of it is burned there.

I do have a problem with people who talk about boycotting Citgo. They started out as City Services, an all American company. Their headquarters were here in Tulsa until last year when most went to Houston. We are talking thousands and thousands of people who work for Citgo who are just as American and hard working as anybody else. It isn't their fault that their company got purchased by the Ven. government through the national oil company. I agree, Chavez is an idiot and a thug and I would LOVE to see him gone. But I don't think going after Citgo here in the US will even draw his attention. Most of the Citgo money ends up staying here to pay salaries, benefits, pensions, etc. The big money for Chavez comes from the sales of petroleum by his national company.

Gregg

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 06:55:09 PM »
Hmm, I filled up today north of Seattle for $ 2.49/gallon at a Shell station.  The local gas prices are currently $ 2.45 to 2.65.  How can we be $ 0.50/gallon more expensive than Iowa?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 07:04:04 PM »
Quote from: MillCreek
Hmm, I filled up today north of Seattle for $ 2.49/gallon at a Shell station.  The local gas prices are currently $ 2.45 to 2.65.  How can we be $ 0.50/gallon more expensive than Iowa?
Local and state taxes, cost of the particular additives the major suppliers in your area use, cost of additives required by your state environmental laws...  all sorts of reasons.

As with most things the cost of gas has more to do with greedy taxing politicians and well-meaning but misguided environmentalists than the "evil corporations".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mfree

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 07:46:07 PM »
Ah, may Adam Smith's invisible hand begin doling out the pimp slaps to Chavez any day now.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 08:08:53 AM »
I think it's funny that so many people are against Citgo because of Chavez. How about we drop Saudi oil from our gas stations for civil rights abuses? I don't hear many people screaming about that. Their civil rights record is pretty bad. I think if any oil should be boycotted, it should be against Saudi Arabia.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 08:40:54 AM »
Quote from: thebaldguy
I think it's funny that so many people are against Citgo because of Chavez. How about we drop Saudi oil from our gas stations for civil rights abuses? I don't hear many people screaming about that. Their civil rights record is pretty bad. I think if any oil should be boycotted, it should be against Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia is not fomenting enmity against the U.S. (at least not openly).  Their head of state did not come to the U.S. and call our president the devil and an alcoholic.  And Saudi Arabia has not armed their army with the AK-47, thus driving up the price of 7.62x39 ammo.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 01:47:42 PM »
Exactly Rabbi
Maybe Osama should buy A big company in Texas so people can support his plans as well.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 02:09:34 PM »
Uh, didn't most of the 9-11 hijackers come from Saudi Arabia? Aren't the Saudis openly teaching children that Jews and Christians are bad and need to die? Why do you deny President Chavez the same freedom of speech that you enjoy? I hate to burst your bubble, but Bush is not the perfect president. He has done a lot of things which we aren't exactly proud of. I'm not quite sure, but when you buy Saudi petroleum products you may be doing more harm than buying Citgo products.

Why do you folks hate Chavez so much? Is it because he refuses to become another third world American puppet?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 02:20:56 PM »
Why do you deny President Chavez the same freedom of speech that you enjoy? I hate to burst your bubble, but Bush is not the perfect president. Why do you folks hate Chavez so much? Is it because he refuses to become another third world American puppet?
Who's denying Chavez's rights?

Who said Bush is perfect and how is that relevant?  

Who hates Chavez and why would that matter?

A reasonable leader could find a LOT of middle ground between being a "puppet" and calling the American President the devil.  Especially with much better candidates on the field.  I assume you've heard of Amadinijad and bin Laden?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 02:22:16 PM »
Why do you deny President Chavez the same freedom of speech that you enjoy?
First off he's not a citizen, thus not protected by 1A. Second, no one's denying him his freedom of speech. He can say whatever he wants, and I can buy from whomever I want. By choosing to boycott someone based on what they say, I'm excersising my own freedoms.

People that say asinine things are not protected from the natural consequences of their actions. In the United States, they're only protected from the government censoring their speech, not from people reacting to their speech. For instance, if you're a mediocre "country" band, you have the right to say whatever you want but you don't have the right to not suffer any consequences commercially from your comments.

I love it when people say I'm "restricting" someone's free speech because I choose not to buy their gasoline/albums/toiletries/misc. products/services when I oppose their actions, policies, or beliefs. If you think that's a restriction on free speech, I don't think you understand the principle of freedom of speech.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 02:27:21 PM »
Chavez spoke at the UN. He can say what he wants, whether you like it or not. And you have the right to buy whatever wherever you want. Boycott whoever you want. It's your choice.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »
Chavez spoke at the UN. He can say what he wants, whether you like it or not. And you have the right to buy whatever wherever you want. Boycott whoever you want. It's your choice.
. . . That's exactly my point.