Author Topic: Damn Smokers -- You're Melting the Polar Ice Caps!  (Read 1749 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Damn Smokers -- You're Melting the Polar Ice Caps!
« on: September 30, 2006, 05:19:34 AM »
Does this mean no more Hoyo de Monterreys on my birthday? I have to admit though -- he made the goofy smokers statment, but also gave the "Earth will take care of itself" line, which is true. It's all about how climate change affects humans, but I rarely see the "Global Warmers" say anything but that the Earth is doomed.

---------------------------
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash6.htm

GORE: CIGARETTE SMOKING 'SIGNIFICANT' CONTRIBUTOR TO GLOBAL WARMING
Fri Sep 29 2006 09:04:05 ET

Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore warned hundreds of U.N. diplomats and staff on Thursday evening about the perils of climate change, claiming: Cigarette smoking is a "significant contributor to global warming!"

Gore, who was introduced by Secretary-General Kofi Annan, said the world faces a "full-scale climate emergency that threatens the future of civilization on earth."

Gore showed computer-generated projections of ocean water rushing in to submerge the San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, parts of China, India and other nations, should ice shelves in Antarctica or Greenland melt and slip into the sea.

"The planet itself will do nicely, thank you very much what is at risk is human civilization," Gore said. After a series of Q& A with the audience, which had little to do with global warming and more about his political future, Annan bid "adios" to Gore.

Then, Gore had his staff opened a stack of cardboard boxes to begin selling his new book, "An Inconvenient Truth, The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It," $19.95, to the U.N. diplomats.

Developing...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mfree

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 05:21:01 AM »
AAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.

Tobacco is a plant product; the carbon it's sequestered was from the atmosphere to start with. Zero-sum carbon.

They finally fell apart, oh it's so good to watch these lunatics crash and burn...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 06:21:19 AM »
You mean people are still listening to AlGore?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 06:26:25 AM »
a series of Q& A with the audience, which had little to do with global warming and more about his political future
The UN is the only place where he has a political future.  Especially now that he has Deaned himself.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 06:26:52 AM »
Good Lord, I VOTED for that asshat. shocked

I'll never live it down... rolleyes
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 07:06:15 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Good Lord, I VOTED for that asshat. shocked

I'll never live it down... rolleyes
Well, now you won't.Cheesy
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 07:08:05 AM »
"Gore showed computer-generated projections of ocean water rushing in to submerge the San Francisco Bay Area, New York City"

Well now, that would sure change the voting demographics of the USA, wouldn't it...?  Tongue

"The planet itself will do nicely, thank you very much what is at risk is human civilization," Gore said.

Now I am thoroughly confused ... isn't that what the eco-nuts WANT is for civilization to be set back about 10,000 years....Huh?Huh???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 07:54:49 AM »
My theory is political hot air.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 07:56:22 AM »
I find that statement pretty amusing considering tobacco is what made his family money for generations.

Has Bore sold those tobacco farms?
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 08:29:25 AM »
Mr. Gore.

Please do not breathe MY air as I smoke.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 09:37:58 AM »
OhhhYeaaahh!

Al  oGre owns tobacco farms!? I didn't know he was a drug dealer!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 11:44:57 AM »
I'm totally serial.

Ok, most of you guys probably don't get that.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 04:57:14 PM »
Difficult to believe people actually voted for that dunce once upon a time.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 05:10:42 PM »
Tell me about it...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 06:28:41 PM »
Quote from: Azrael256
I'm totally serial.
I know the real reason... man-bear-pig!!!
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 07:41:37 AM »
mfree posited:
Tobacco is a plant product; the carbon it's sequestered was from the atmosphere to start with. Zero-sum carbon.
Oh, it's even better than that.  When you realize how much carbon, in the form of ash and tar, is trapped by the filter, which is then quite likely to be "resequestered" into a landfill, you realize that smoking fights global warming!  Cheesy

And think about all the resources those smokers would use up by not dying early...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 10:12:02 AM »
Spotted Al is still struggling to achieve relevance and meaning.  This has managed to elude him to date.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »
As I sit down to enjoy my weekly cigar, I'd like to take this moment to personally thank Mr. Gore for his most recent demonstration of imbicility.  These remarks serve only to increase the pleasure I derive from this fine tobacco product.

I dedicate this cigar to YOU, Mr. Gore.  May it bring you as much pleasure as it does me!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 09:37:09 AM »
I thought coal and petroleum also came from dead plants?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mfree

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »
Old dead plants, coal and oil come from. NEW dead plants are tobacco, and they *just* finished taking that carbon away from the atmosphere.