Author Topic: Customer service, and language barriers...  (Read 1965 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Customer service, and language barriers...
« on: October 02, 2006, 06:51:32 AM »
When I call a certain company, I almost always get the same guy...

"Mumble, mumble, unintelligible..."

"Yeah, is this Acme Corporation?"

"Mumble, mumble, sure!"

"Uh... Okay... Do you guys still do screen printing?"

"unintelligible" (but it generally sounds affirmative...)

"Okay... I'll e-mail my order in, and I'm going to need to know shipping costs and stuff - you can e-mail me back, okay?"

"unintelligible"

click...

Never had a problem with their quality, timing, or invoices.

No, the guy isn't Mexican. Or Indian. He's American. Inner-city American. What's sad is that I lived in an athletic dorm through college, and in the center of St. Louis for 20 years, and I can't understand what he's saying. And he doesn't have a speech impediment, other than the inner-city dialect and vocal laziness.

And I'll bet that the consistent conversation at the plant involves "Boy, these customers sure are dumb - they don't even know which phone number they be dialin'..."
Blog under construction

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 09:44:50 AM »
You need to hire a nun who speaks "Inner City American" to interpret for you.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 09:50:15 AM »
"Oh, Stewardess...I speak jive."

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 10:06:01 AM »
can we talk about computer and other tech Customer Service functions out sourced to India and Bangladesh?  Boy, talk about a language barrier.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 10:25:08 AM »
SBC DSL support used to get you Manila. I don't mind, First off their English is usually nearly perfect. It's as if they don't WANT you to know where you're calling. Then I usually end up in a 5 or longer minute conversation with them about how things are in the PI these days. I think SBC (now ATT BTW) phone support is India and they ARE tough to understand sometimes. I also recall recently calling a company, financial I think, and I couldn't understand a WORD this woman was saying, heavy ME or Indian accent. So naturally things got fouled up and I had to call back and I told the next one what I just said about the first one and she says, "Yea, we know." I'm like, "OOOO-KKKKK....."
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:53:11 AM »
I run into this all the time at work. The folks I am least likely to understand are as follows:

Vietnamese
Arab
Indian
Phillipino
Scot

I played merry hell trying to understand a Scot one time. I could tell he was speaking English, but I would understand maybe one word he said in an entire sentence.

Some folks at work talk so quickly and so sloppily I can't understand them. If they leave me voicemail and I can't understand either their name or telephone number, I don't bother to respond.

I got sick of calling and asking "May I speak with blaobshnad?"
"Sorry, no blaobshnad here."
"Here's the story, I got a voicemail from someone, sounded like his name was 'blaobshnad', he said he was having problems with the compounding robot."

"Oh, that's Tom Hendricks. Hang on, I'll get him for you."

Tom Hendricks.Blaobshnad.

Makes perfect sense.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 01:23:01 PM »
Unintelligable phone CSR language defined  =  Bootlip.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 01:25:46 PM »
Scot
I read a story once, I kid you not, about a Scotsman and a deep south American, who despite both technically speaking English, were mutually unintelligible.  They had to have a German lady as interpreter.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

...has left the building.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »
Clearly, you guys need some Carlos Mencia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_e7WHusIro

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:34:05 PM »
This guy was just slurring stuff all together... Really sad. They do great work, but sheesh... And again, I'll bet they don't have a clue...

"Why all our customers ack stupid? They gotta axe where they callin'?"
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 08:20:20 PM »
The speech patterns of many lower-stratum Black Americans (and recently a lot of White kids raised in the same milieu), can be really appalling, especially when many of them could speak more clearly if they wanted to.  It's not just a matter of poor grammar, it's a matter of words run together so lazily as to be mostly unintelligible.
What's worse is that so many don't care.  With such people, you'd think it is a great inconvenience for them to pay any attention to you when you're ordering your burger and fries.  And asking them to repeat their slurred speech?  Takes a lot of nerve, you waster of valuable time.  Maybe there's something biased in my perception, but even the laziest white kid doesn't seem so sullen.  

God bless Cosby.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »
I am convinced that clearly spoken English is fading rapidly in the US, even among Americans. I find myself using more and more of my Spanish on a regular basis as well. Even worse is the outsourced computer help desks in India where they have fake American names.

I predict this is only the beginning. It's going to get worse.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 04:35:18 PM »
"India where they have fake American names. "

HAHAHA you don't have to go to India for that my friend

You just have to go to Pocono Lake PA right off the PA turnpike.

I worked at a gas station there for an Indian named Kenny.  Was that his real name?  Nope, I literaly tried for a half an hour one night looking at the time sheet to pronounce his real name....it was immosible.  We are better off with them using fake names.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »
I just refused to hire people who were unintelligible.
Don

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 05:57:48 PM »
We have a guy here from Kenya, very easy to understand. But I spent the years of my life between 17 and 38 in 37 different countries and can usually make sense of almost any accent, as long as it is an attempt at English.

Anyhow, his name is Babatunde, goes by Bob, makes it easy. Some say they can't understand him, when in reality he speaks more clearly than some of them.

I often have to ask my son, WTF did you just say? Slow down, enunciate, and speak english!!

bob

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 06:29:43 PM »
My pharmacist is east african in origin.  I have no problem understanding him.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 08:16:51 PM »
Ugh. One of my pet peeves.

I used to joke with customers when they'd call in on problem tickets- they'd be from Alabama, Georgia--deep south...or maybe even the midwest and Northeast. Caucasian, American-born. They'd be 'so glad' to get me on the phone' instead of Kerpal or Mahib 'because you speak English that I can understand'. My stock answer was-

"No, I grew up in East Texas. I don't speak English, but I try to."

Usually 85 % would get it and laugh, but the other 15% thought I was doing a passable job of it.

Since changing jobs last month my coworkers are now 80% Indian (dots, not feathers).  2% of them speak with an exceptional clipped British accent. The rest I have to rely on telepathy and email from the next cube row over.

I have a pretty decent ear for accents and languages. I can pick them up and either mimic the cadence and accent or use the various languages I've learned over the years to convey concepts and ideas in a give-and-take.  Trying to extrapolate information out of Anoop in his attempt at English is a ral problem sometimes, though.

Hell, it took me a year to finally lose the Arkansas accent after I finished college up there and moved back home to Texas.  In business situations, however, I come across on the phone as Kansas/Indiana whitebread.

Ruser's heard me talk. When I slip into drawl I don't even understand myself most of the time. Right Boomhauer?
Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 08:38:11 PM »
Quote from: thebaldguy
I am convinced that clearly spoken English is fading rapidly in the US, even among Americans. I find myself using more and more of my Spanish on a regular basis as well. Even worse is the outsourced computer help desks in India where they have fake American names.

I predict this is only the beginning. It's going to get worse.
I like the Indian folks with the fake American names.  They tend to be more articulate than the inner city Americans that might otherwise be on the receiving end of customer service phone calls.  I'll take a fake name and faint British/Indian accent over Ebonics any day of the week.