Author Topic: Shades of Nuremberg  (Read 6042 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Shades of Nuremberg
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »
Do please rent / buy Triumph of the Will.

It is probably the most brilliant piece of cinematic propaganda ever produced. 
Also, before watching it, try to get your head in a receptive mode, not captive to the last 70 years' judgments.
Record what the film evokes in you, then think about what it evokes/tries to evoke versus what occurred when these folks acquired power.
Think about the folks who are not able to put themselves outside the moment, who get all swept up in the emotion generated by the film or similar products.
Then think of trying to make a rational argument against their man and their plan, when rational had nothing to do with their man & plan, to begin with.

I think comparing a campy 'unity' ad to Triumph of the Will is going a bit far.  Leni Riefenstahl was either evil as the day is long or dumb as a post.  But she was a genius. 

While I do very much agree that charismatic leaders with hidden agendas are dangerous by default, comparing Obama to Hitler is pretty strong words.  Godwin's Law excluded.  Obama lacks experience, a real stated plan for anything, or anything positive.  Everything, except for a gift for words and plenty of messianic charisma.  However, I don't see him calling for extermination of undesirable races or seizing power after he couldn't be legitimately elected.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 06:37:47 AM »
No-one's comparing him to Hitler (or maybe I've missed it). But the blind adoring allegiance given him by millions of bright-eyed people ignorant of what "change" really means....

Yeah, there are parallels.
D. R. ZINN

nico

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 08:35:38 AM »
I agree that there are parallels, but I think they have more to do with the sheepish way in which people will get behind someone who is charismatic and can give a good speech than with the person doing the speaking.  This kind of thing has happened quite a few times throughout history, yet we, as a species, continue to do it.