Author Topic: Herman Cain wins Fl straw poll  (Read 4263 times)

drewtam

• friend
Herman Cain wins Fl straw poll
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:45:27 AM »
http://spectator.org/archives/2011/09/26/herman-cains-magic-moment

This thread is intended to be an open thread discussion on this guy.

I reviewed the resume on his campaign website, basic gist:
Born to poor parents
Went to college (not Ivy league)
Masters in Computer science degree while also working
started at Coca-Cola as systems analyst (low level professional)
Went to Pillsbury, moved up to VP
Worked on Burger King
Worked on Godfather's Pizza
Led the National Restaurants Association
Fought Hillarycare in the 90s
Did a stint at the Federal Reserve Board of Directors of Kansas City
Had a talk radio show

My opinion:
As an engineer, I appreciate the computer science MS degree. That is a no joke science degree.
As a conservative Christian, I appreciate his apparent belief, it comes off authentic. But one can never be sure with politicians.
Moving from systems analyst to VP of several important divisions is impressive.

His weakness to me is that he wears his faith to much in public. Federal Gov't doesn't need to be involved with such things.
Another weakness is that he lacks a lot of experience with gov't institutions. There is risk he can get in over his head dealing with a hostile middle management, or horse trading with the Congress. As VP of a large company, I'm sure he has international experience, but again, not of the political kind.

My very brief research shows that he has recently switched from "Fair Tax" support to a new "9,9,9" support. 9% corporate, 9% income, 9% sales.
I don't understand his switch; and it deeply concerns me. Because I don't want to see both income and sales taxes being allowed. If we are going to change it, then add the one and repeal the other.
I am not convinced that Fair Tax or Flat Tax will achieve anything significantly different in outcome than what we currently have.

He seems to support secure borders with streamlined immigration process. I'm not sure if the second goal is realistic in light of the war on drugs and 9/11.

His 2A experience is limited and doesn't seem interested in dealing with it. He tries to make positive noises about it to protect that flank.

He is a good public speaker. Not surprising for a talk radio host.

In case you haven't watched video, he is black. Unfortunately, this still has a lot of ramifications. On one hand, this would further neutralise any racial sympathy votes for Obama and also neutralise the "racist" accusations. If Dems go after the "Uncle Tom" attack, it would just hurt their credibility further. I am absolutely sure they would try it.
On the otherhand, the racial sympathy votes and racist accusations have probably already been worn out with Obama.

I strongly doubt he will gain much vote from the black population. This is the demographic were the "Uncle Tom" ugliness will play most strongly.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

InfidelSerf

• friend
Re: Herman Cain wins Fl straw poll
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »
He also worked for the Department of the Navy for a while too.
My very brief research shows that he has recently switched from "Fair Tax" support to a new "9,9,9" support. 9% corporate, 9% income, 9% sales.
I don't understand his switch; and it deeply concerns me.

He was on Boortz's show the day after the last debate.  During that interview he gave a compelling reason for his backing off the FairTax.  He's still a big supporter, but from an election standpoint realized outwardly supporting it is more of a hindrance then help due to the number of Americans that just simply don't understand it or are misinformed about it's details.  He felt in order to eventually get to the point where we repeal the IRS your going to have to take some baby steps.   
That can either be considered good strategy or waffling depending on how you look at it.

As a fan of the Neal Boortz show I've known of and heard Mr. Cain speak on variety of subjects. 
He's my man.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
I like Herman Cain  a lot.  Having said that, he doesn't have a "snowball's chance in h3ll."  He won the Florida straw poll over the weekend.  And Michelle Bachman won the Iowa straw poll awhile ago and where is she now? ;/
Weird, how the Repukeagain machine never goes for the really good candidates .... just the ho-hum ones the machine approves ....... :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »
Because people vote for the lesser of two evils when the election arrives.

Chris

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »
Because people vote for the lesser of two evils when the election arrives.

Chris
Not quit believing that.
No one is perfect.  Therefor anyone will be "the lesser of evils."   As much as I liked Ronald Reagan, for example, he did a few things I disagreed with.  Like amnesty for illegals, signing a California gun law while governor.  But I still liked him and voted for him twice.
Theres's a difference between supporting "ho-hum" candidates because "they're next in line" and this "lesser evil" stuff, which, respectfully, I submit is fluff and nonsense.    If you wish to prove it isn't you need to show me the "perfect" candidate.  I promise you, you can't.
Because he won't be a human being.  >:D :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:15:32 PM »
I like what I have heard from Cain.  I didn't think he had anywhere near the support needed to actually win a primary.  The opinion I heard on him a few months back was he would probably be a very good President, but not a good candidate.  If he can show some traction as a candidate, more power to him.

On the "wearing his faith on his sleeve comment", I really am not bothered by someone mentioning their faith a lot.  As long he doesn't try to legislate it, it isn't a big deal. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:16:04 PM »
I think mtnbkr's point is that when the voter is about to push the button, lever, whatever, they will make the safest, as in most moderate, least risky selection, not the more principled, ideologically pure one. And he's right.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
I think mtnbkr's point is that when the voter is about to push the button, lever, whatever, they will make the safest, as in most moderate, least risky selection, not the more principled, ideologically pure one. And he's right.

I went into the last GOP general election primary in a state of disgust at McCain.  So disgusting that I voted for Ron Paul, who was about the last candidate still running against the RINO.

I don;t mind Perry taking it in the Jimmy over illegals and the border.  He brought it on himself.  If he manages a come to Jesus moment and gets on board, fine. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »

That.  "Electable" doesn't mean the candidate is a good choice.

Sorry, was on a conference call when I posted the other, I should stay out of APS while on the phone. :)

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
Not quit believing that.
No one is perfect.  Therefor anyone will be "the lesser of evils."   As much as I liked Ronald Reagan, for example, he did a few things I disagreed with.  Like amnesty for illegals, signing a California gun law while governor.  But I still liked him and voted for him twice.
Theres's a difference between supporting "ho-hum" candidates because "they're next in line" and this "lesser evil" stuff, which, respectfully, I submit is fluff and nonsense.    If you wish to prove it isn't you need to show me the "perfect" candidate.  I promise you, you can't.
Because he won't be a human being.  >:D :angel:

There is a difference between "not perfect" and "evil, but not as evil as the other guy".
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
It's improbable that Cain can win the nomination, but the growing support for him is important in terms of what he represents and what a lot of the American people want from their political leadership.  He is certainly the Anti-Obama par excellence.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »
There is a difference between "not perfect" and "evil, but not as evil as the other guy".

Not really.  It's just a matter of degree.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »
Not really.  It's just a matter of degree.

Everything is a "matter of degree." Those degrees? They are what make the difference. Hell, by your logic there can't be any difference between Obama and whoever the R's nominate as it's "just a matter of degrees."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »
Everything is a "matter of degree." Those degrees? They are what make the difference. Hell, by your logic there can't be any difference between Obama and whoever the R's nominate as it's "just a matter of degrees."

.........Until you get to the degree represented by Hitler.  There.  Now I've Godwined the thread and it can't go anywhere -- it's stuck! [tinfoil] :angel: ;/

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
My wife asked me weeks ago who I liked of the Republican candidates.  I was holding to learn more about Gov Perry at that point, but basically I support Herman Cain for President.  He does have a chance to win the nomination if people get behind him.  I can't see what is so great about Perry.

I like the concept of the 9-9-9 tax because I was a supporter of the Fair Tax, but there are significant problems in terms of implementation.  We need a simple tax system that has few if any deductions or loopholes.  This tax would allow for the IRS to continue being the IRS with a payroll tax.  Hence no vote state by state to eleminate the federal income tax (amendment #?).  I like the idea of a consumption tax as at least this tax catches those that do not pay any other Federal income tax at this point.  I am generally referring to illegal aliens and others that "work" under the radar  Being able to adjust the sales tax rate very quickly would be a huge bonus to the government as long at there were suitable controls in place to pass such an issue though Congress.  This tax goes through the state and is sent to the Federal government.  Make changes and those changes can be implemented in days not months.

Herman Cain talks about solutions, not problems.  He is a great advocate for black Americans.  He advocates work not handouts.

I listened to him on his show in Atlanta as well as Neal Boortz's show.  I like Cain's ideas and believe him to be a good person.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »
I like Herman Cain  a lot.  Having said that, he doesn't have a "snowball's chance in h3ll." 

Why not?  A month ago I thought that he was out of it and support for him seems to be growing. 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »
Maybe we haven't noticed it with the global warming scare but Hell is cooling off... =D
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 05:33:07 PM »

Why not?  A month ago I thought that he was out of it and support for him seems to be growing.  

I could've been wrong but I don't think so.  Will he REALLY catch on?   I doubt it.

Hey, if he does, I will love being wrong.  Cain's a good candidate and I think he'd be a great pres.
He's not quit up to snuff on foreign affairs and stuff like that, but he can get good advisors to help him.

Anyway, Obama was equally ignorant on international politics in '08.  And also 2011.  ;/

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »
 He didn't turn around Godfathers or the BK franchises all by himself.  I think he would probably do just fine with picking foreign policy advisors, etc.  I wouldn't rule him out because you think he doesn't have a chance, who ever thought Obama was going to win when he first announced his candidacy?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »
I think he is pretty good...especially considering the competition.  I heard about him from my 80 year old southern belle Aunt...who is very conservative and would vote for him.
He is respected by a lot of powerful, connected Conservatives.  Forget dreams and hope...he's got plans, which will probably be his undoing.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »
Cain is too good for the electorate as they are now.  Too many can't see beyond his skin or his accent or his conservatism.  He arguably has the best resume of any Presidential aspirant in many years. Will it ultimately matter?  Doubtful.  And that it won't is exactly why the Tea Party arose and why it won't go away quietly.  The carefully assembled and protected "box" we are told to think beyond needs to be shredded, and maybe that is what is gradually taking place.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.