Author Topic: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains  (Read 813 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:12:25 AM »
I thought this was interesting, especially the last third. I definitely thank the Internet for being able to quickly look up such a wide variety of information that might have taken me days versus seconds pre-Internet (going to the library, finding info on where to look, looking, etc.).

I do see that I probably have a shorter attention span when I'm on the web, because I so often find myself doing what they portray in the first 15 or so seconds of the video - looking for something and then getting sidetracked by a myriad of other links. Kinda the "bright, shiny object" syndrome. Also I definitely have "Pavlov's dog" disease with the dang email alerts. I've been trying to get better with those since I quit working. There's something to be said for focusing on one thing at a time without interruption, even if you're doing it on a modern device like a Kindle (with WiFi turned off  :) ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKaWJ72x1rI
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »
TL;DR  you lost me after about 3 sentences.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:02:49 PM »
^ LOL !

I've noticed that bright shiny object syndrome myself, and sometimes lose track of what the hell I was seeking in the first place.  My main concern (for myself) is that there's so many bright shiny objects "out there" that I spend way too much time on the computer --even though I'm retired.

In yore days, I'd go to the library for a particular book and end up checking out four or five after browsing the titles, but at least that involved walking around the library instead of just parking my butt on the couch for an hour or two.

...Of course, come to think of it, I lose track of a lot of stuff of late.

Terry

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:07:45 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
I've noticed that my long-term memory, never superb in the first place, has deteriorated due to the fact that I can look up whatever facts I need, essentially any time.  It's like my brain, being lazy, figures it doesn't need to exert the energy to retain knowledge, since that knowledge is retained elsewhere and is easily accessible. 

Easily accessible if I don't forget what I'm looking for . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
I don't know if that is the internet or just that we don't train our brain to remember anymore.  The first time it comes up to remember what you read, you look it up again rather than trusting your memory. 

β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:13:22 PM »
I don't see it as having a shorter attention span, but rather simply getting good at prioritizing my --- OH LOOK, A SQUIRREL!
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »
Bookmarked, I'll get back to this later.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 12:16:51 AM »
tl;dr

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 02:32:01 AM »
I wa going to expound profoundly on something relevant here but I got an e-mail and forgot what it was.

But boy, it was good, and insightful, and rife with pith.

Or so I recall.  Oh, say, Seinfeld is on.  Gotta go.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.