Author Topic: What the Hell Honda?  (Read 6133 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What the Hell Honda?
« on: March 12, 2016, 03:19:49 PM »
So just went to change the oil for the first time on my Troy-Bilt pressure washer with a Honda GCV190 engine. There is no oil drain plug!  I thought there was something wrong with my manual, so I did a quick search.

Turns out the cartoon drawing in the manual is correct: you tip the freakin' engine and let the oil run out the fill tube. How mickey mouse is that? I would have never expected that from a Honda engine. My Honda generator with the older GX-160 has an actual drain plug, so this must be some kind of money saving thing.

EDIT: GCV190, not the 160, and the genset has the GX-160. I'm collecting too many small engines to keep track!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:57:37 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: What the Hell Honda?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »
It probably costs $572.48 to bush and thread a hole in the bottom, and another $276.57 for a plug from an outside vendor. Eliminating that $849.05 per unit adds up to a bit of savings over 10,000 units.

Stockholders are happy then.

Designer who came up with this cost-saving idea got a $500.00 bonus.

Oh, I forgot the $0.05 for the washer.

I had a car on which I had to change the oil by slipping tubing down the dipstick tube and pumping it out with one of those hand pumps from Harbor Freight or someplace.*  Tedious, but improved my grip for shooting substantially.

^ Possible hint.

Terry

* I was getting to the point where I could not crawl around under the car.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:46:07 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:53:33 PM »
My lawnmower with a Honda engine is the same way
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:58:39 PM »
My lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton engine is the same way.  It's a pain, but not very frequently.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
I had a car on which I had to change the oil by slipping tubing down the fill pipe and pumping it out with one of those hand pumps from Harbor Freight or someplace.*  Tedious, but improved my grip for shooting substantially.

^ Possible hint.

I have a pump, which I'll probably use when I start doing oil changes on my 4Runner, now that (yesterday) I got my last Toyotacare service. The 4Runner plug is a pain to get to on the gen5s.

Pump won't work on the small engines. I actually tried it on the generator the last time I changed oil, but I think the reservoir is too shallow with too little oil to get full submerging of the hose. The power washer engine only holds like 12oz, so I'd probably have to tip it anyway just to get the hose submerged.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 04:04:05 PM »
Partially cost savings,and partially people that couldn't tighten a plug crying about oil leaks.  

Despite Honda's recommendations I bet that they know the majority of those engines get one or two oil changes per life.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »
Yep I've found this to be the case on a lot of small engines. I find it annoying as hell.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »
I just changed it an hour ago. While I still think it's dumb, it's not quite as annoying as I thought it would be. Took all of ten minutes, with most of the time spent holding the thing tipped to make sure I got all the "first five hours" oil out. A little initial spillage, but I ended up just draining it into an old baking pan*, so I had a pretty big "catchment". :)  Next oil change will probably be a five minute job.

The only thing I'm still annoyed about is that the first change is where you might expect shavings or other contaminants to come out, and it doesn't seem like you can account for everything if you can't drain from the lowest point. I'll probably change it again in another few hours of engine time just to maybe catch more stuff.

* I actually use this pan on the Honda generator. While it has a drain plug, it's not the best setup either. Without lifting the heavy ass generator onto blocks, the baking pan is the only thing that will slide underneath (barely, on one corner) to catch the oil.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
I've seen that on many small engines.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 06:23:48 PM »
Well, went on a tear and changed the oil in all the small engines, including the Skillsaw. The only other stuff that needed tipping was my dad's Honda lawnmower and my saw. :)

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 10:56:44 AM »
Don't bother with those cheap hand pumps.
If you have a shop vac and a 5 gal bucket with a lid (I snagged one from the recycle drop off) buy a length of cheap 1/4 flexible tubing. (I already had some scraps of pex type) drill a hole in the lid of the bucket and insert tubing TO THE BOTTOM of the bucket. If the lid has a pour bung it is exactly the right size for the shop vac hose- if not, cut a hole to fit and insert vac just enough for a snug fit.
Insert 1/4 line in oil fill or even dipstick tube to bottom. Turn on shop vac and watch all the oil get sucked into the bucket.
This is how I change oil on our little crossfire coup since it has about 4" of ground clearance and a belly pan shroud that has to be removed to access drain plug. I've used it on small engines also.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »
My Troy Built mower is nearly 10 years old.  I told myself I was going to change the oil for the first time this Winter, but never did.  Still running fine.   =D

But I have a small lawn and a basic push mower with no fancy stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 02:19:36 PM »
Don't bother with those cheap hand pumps.
If you have a shop vac and a 5 gal bucket with a lid (I snagged one from the recycle drop off) buy a length of cheap 1/4 flexible tubing. (I already had some scraps of pex type) drill a hole in the lid of the bucket and insert tubing TO THE BOTTOM of the bucket. If the lid has a pour bung it is exactly the right size for the shop vac hose- if not, cut a hole to fit and insert vac just enough for a snug fit.
Insert 1/4 line in oil fill or even dipstick tube to bottom. Turn on shop vac and watch all the oil get sucked into the bucket.
This is how I change oil on our little crossfire coup since it has about 4" of ground clearance and a belly pan shroud that has to be removed to access drain plug. I've used it on small engines also.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »
Thank you!!

Yer welcome!
I actually just get it started and let it siphon overnight which works fine with synthetic oil. I turn on the vac again just to make sure I get all I can but it works real good if you've got a pretty close fit in the bucket lid. All you need to do is create enough negative pressure inside the bucket to draw thru the tube.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »
Thank you!!

Yeah, that's a slick trick!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
Pull about 1/4 of the oil, top up with Berryman's Chemtool, run for just a couple of minutes to warm up the oil, then drain.  It'll thin out the oil enough to keep it from sticking any extra crud to the inside of the crankcase.

With gear oil, I pull enough to take an entire can of Chemtool, but do the warmup before adding it.  Let it cool enough to comfortably keep a hand firmly on the outside of the casing before adding Chemtool, or things can get interesting.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:20 AM »
don't know anything about Berymans chemtool but we used to drain off about 2 quarts of oil and add 3 quarts of kerosene and run for a little bit in the older vehicles and farm trucks. Sometimes we would get so much gunk (like black cheese curds) we had to keep jabbing a screw driver in the drain hole to keep it draining.
I use synthetic oil in every combustion engine I own (and I have a lot of them) and haven't had to do anything like that for years.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 11:40:20 AM »
don't know anything about Berymans chemtool but we used to drain off about 2 quarts of oil and add 3 quarts of kerosene and run for a little bit in the older vehicles and farm trucks. Sometimes we would get so much gunk (like black cheese curds) we had to keep jabbing a screw driver in the drain hole to keep it draining.

Same concept, but a look at the Chemtool MSDS says it's mostly toluene, acetone and methanol, so it should thin things out a lot more.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 11:48:02 AM »
probably similar to Kano labs Kreen product.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 11:57:24 AM »
ATF works well as an engine flush.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 12:10:56 PM »
Possibly stupid question, but can you replace diesel for the kerosene as a mix for the flush? I'm actually thinking of doing it for my Skilsaw. I hadn't changed the oil in it in forever, and it came out kinda gunky. Skil says use kerosene, but I can't find any around here.

I've gone synthetic as well. I happened to have a case of 5-30W Mobil One left over after I sold my Trooper, and I can't use it in my current vehicles, so now I have about a decade supply of synthetic for the small stuff. :)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:07 PM »

Same concept, but a look at the Chemtool MSDS says it's mostly toluene, acetone and methanol, so it should thin things out a lot more.

Bad *expletive deleted*ing idea. That's playing the "clog the oil pump pickup" lottery. I did Seafoam (similar to the Chemtool) to my truck once and got the same results as Kingcreek...but I was damn lucky not to clog the oil pump screen.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
probably similar to Kano labs Kreen product.

Looks like Kreen is mostly "severely hydrotreated petroleum distillates."

Bad *expletive deleted*ing idea. That's playing the "clog the oil pump pickup" lottery.

If you've got that much crud in there, it's eventually going to do just that anyway.  Not a bad idea to drop the pan every year or two anyway just to replace the gasket and have a look at the screen.  Puts you in a good spot to check the rod bearings while you're down there if the engine is old enough to have any doubts.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »
Not a bad idea to drop the pan every year or two anyway just to replace the gasket and have a look at the screen

You gotta be shitting me...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 12:42:56 PM »
ATF works well as an engine flush.

When did the .gov get into engine flushing?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.