Author Topic: What the Hell is Bias Intimidation?  (Read 493 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What the Hell is Bias Intimidation?
« on: October 18, 2018, 06:18:59 PM »
I kinda sorta remember this story when it first happened. I didn't remember the charge - "bias intimidation". It does not sound anywhere near serious enough for what happened. From what I understand, the victim has been lying in a bed for six months - up until the time he died. How was this not an attempted manslaughter or murder in one degree or another from the beginning? It should definitely be murder now, IMO. If the bashing him on the head wasn't premeditated, the running him over part sure was.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/photographer-dies-6-months-after-taking-beating-in-alleged-racial-attack-prosecutors
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: What the Hell is Bias Intimidation?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 10:14:39 PM »
I kinda sorta remember this story when it first happened. I didn't remember the charge - "bias intimidation". It does not sound anywhere near serious enough for what happened. From what I understand, the victim has been lying in a bed for six months - up until the time he died. How was this not an attempted manslaughter or murder in one degree or another from the beginning? It should definitely be murder now, IMO. If the bashing him on the head wasn't premeditated, the running him over part sure was.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/photographer-dies-6-months-after-taking-beating-in-alleged-racial-attack-prosecutors

From the linked story...

"Hubbard is also charged with attempted murder in the first degree, armed robbery in the first degree, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and theft of a movable property."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:59 PM »
From the comments (I know that's a terrible source), "bias intimidation" is what New Jersey calls "hate crimes".  I still don't know why hate crimes exist in a legal sense.  If something is a crime, it's a crime.  The motivation for it shouldn't matter.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:32 PM »
From the comments (I know that's a terrible source), "bias intimidation" is what New Jersey calls "hate crimes".  I still don't know why hate crimes exist in a legal sense.  If something is a crime, it's a crime.  The motivation for it shouldn't matter.

I think you meant to say the motivation for the crime should be protected by the principle of rights of conscience. Of course, that was something that mattered to the Founders, so it must be completely ignored today. Freedom of religion is bigotry, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »
I honestly don't care why you unlawfully* killed someone. I don't care if you hated his skin color, his style of speech, his car, his attitude, his beliefs, or if you had no hate but he was just an impediment to your plans. "It's just business!"

What matters is your killed someone and barring one cited legitimate motivation, you ought to be punished accordingly.

Of course, part of the reason people start caring about WHY you killed someone is because we don't punish people who murder someone appropriately, so they want to make some murders worse than others.

*I have to stipulate that as ONE motive for killing someone makes it lawful: "I was in (legitimate) fear of my life and well being or the life and well-being of others".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »
The motivation for murder does come into play for determining which type of murder charge applies, but it shouldn't be a crime separate from the criminal act. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge