Author Topic: Mail order flies?  (Read 2545 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Mail order flies?
« on: May 11, 2005, 05:28:04 PM »
Anyone know where I might be able to internet order flies for fly fishing?  I can get them locally at $.99 ea, so its gotta be cost effective.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

nico

• friend
Mail order flies?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 06:08:06 PM »
www.joebruce.com

I bought my rod from him before he closed his retail store last summer.  Real nice guy.  Even gave me a casting lesson in the parking lot.  I still haven't actually been fly fishing yet though :\  He sells a real wide variety of flies, but I don't think any of them are cheaper than what you get.

BassPro and Cabelas also sell a good variety of flies.  It kinda depends on what kind of flies you want though.  Cabelas sells some nymphs for $10/dozen, but you'll never find streamers that cheap.

crt360

• friend
Mail order flies?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 06:09:12 PM »
$.99 is pretty hard to beat.  I tied a bunch of my own when I was younger, and bought a lot from Taylor Creek Fly Shop in Basalt, CO when I was up that way fishing, but I'm almost ashamed to say how long it's been since I last went flyfishing.  Considering they'd probably cost me about $10 a piece in time and material to tie my own now, it'll likely be a while before I get around to doing it again.  The only trout fishing around here is on the Guadalupe River, below Canyon Dam, but it's a semi-private kind of deal to access the water there.  I pretty much have to resort to tossing a fly rod in the bass boat and throwing flies at perch when the bass aren't biting.
For entertainment purposes only.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Mail order flies?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 07:18:32 PM »
when a buddy was in Kenya, he found out where Orvis gets their flies tied

this might be the place:
http://www.sea-ex.com/simkan/company.htm

4 bucks a dozen
Individual patterns have a minimum of one dozen per pattern, per size. The total minimum order is 300 dozen (combined patterns/sizes)
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Mail order flies?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 07:31:45 PM »
I get the majority of my generic flies (e.g., Adams, Elk Hairs, etc.) from Cabela's at $10/dz. I've found however, that when I take a trip, it's worth it for me to stop by the local flyshop and buy the local patterns, even if it's $2-3 a pop.

YMMV of course. I fish the Eastern Sierra every year. My mass produced patterns from Cabela's work just fine on a lot of the smaller streams and a few of the Mammoth Lakes. For fishing Crowley however, it's local patterns all the way for success.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
Mail order flies?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 05:27:39 AM »
Thanks for the links.
I found a few places on some internet searches.....300 dozen is alot of flies, probably above my need level.
This site has a smaller minimum order.

http://www.fly-fishing-flies.com/index.htm

I have found that there are a base of common flies here in Utah that work almost year round, and on almost every body of water.  Keeping that base stocked makes it easier to grab a few flies at local shops for specific waters, coditions and times of year.
I wish I had time to tie 'em.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Mail order flies?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 06:51:34 AM »
i would bet fly-fishing-flies imports from Simkan
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Mail order flies?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 10:10:40 AM »
Tie up your own.  Like handloading, it is a great way to get a step further into the sport.  Also, like handloading, you can play around with different styles to get the ones that work perfectly.  Plus, you save money, and gain an excellent hobby at the same time.  Great way to spend your long winter nights.

I have boxes full of flies from when I tied.  It got to the point where I have so many tied up, I haven't needed to make any in a few years.  I have thousands around.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Jamisjockey

• friend
Mail order flies?
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:40:52 AM »
I already said, I don't have time to tie.  I don't have time to handload, either.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Mail order flies?
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 12:54:34 PM »
I've always wanted to tie my own, but don't have the time right now myself. I'm hoping that when I get to the point in my life where I have the free time to enjoy the hobby, my eyes will still be good enough to partake. Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

jefnvk

• friend
Mail order flies?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 03:18:35 PM »
Oops, didn't see that.

Once you get going, though, you can crank them out.  My personal best is 4 dozen in an hour, and I know people that can do faster.

Wingshooter

Mail order flies?
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 07:08:53 PM »
I miss fly fishing in Utah.  One of the best trips I ever had in my life was up there.  Went with a guide from Troutbum 2 in Park City.  Beautiful scenery and nice trout.  Guide was super cool, I had scheduled/paid for a half day with him but the fishing was so good we stayed the whole day.

Someday I will go back with my wife.  She would love it up there.
Pedro offers you his protection...

grislyatoms

• friends
Mail order flies?
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 05:28:32 AM »
Ever fly fish for Blue Gills?

Get a couple little foam spiders with rubber legs and take 'em to your local 'gill pond.

Cast them and then let them sit for a few minutes. Give them a twitch or two, and BLOUSH! It looks like the water is exploding when the 'gills hit those little spiders. When nobody's catching anything at all, I have had a john boat fit to sink with all the 'gills I have caught on foam spiders.

Most fun you can have with your pants on!
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

jefnvk

• friend
Mail order flies?
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 07:49:53 AM »
Ever fly fish for Blue Gills?
A lot of times, it is more fun than fishing for trout.