Author Topic: APS GQ: When will goatee fade from scene?  (Read 10764 times)

Smoke

APS GQ: When will goatee fade from scene?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 05:05:16 PM »
I hate the look myself.  Looks like you can't grow a full beard or had a misfortunate shaving accident.
I've had a mustached for nigh on to 20 years.  No more.  Hate shaving too but would rather shave than have itchy whiskers.
Lot's of the guys I work with jumped on teh goatee wagon.  Most had never had facial hair before.  Most were a few years late
to really be fashionable.  (Trends arrive late out here)  

What ever happened to individuality.  Why would everyone want to look the same?

Look around you folks, if "everyone" is doing it, it's too late to be fashionable and probably wasn't a good idea in the first place.

Smoke

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 06:07:10 PM »
Smoke,

Nearly everyone around me has two ears.  Should I cut one off?  Tongue

I don't wear it to look "cool like everybody else"; I wear it because it looks good on me
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Smoke

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 04:43:56 PM »
Nearly everyone around me has two ears.  Should I cut one off?
Don't be silly.  There is a difference between cultivating facial hair as every one else, and bodily dismemberment.

Smoke

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
Not directed to anyone

I am me. Never much cared for what anyone else thought. Sometimes fashions meet up with me, go away, come back. Live long enough this will happen to you too.

I am 50. I last shaved my upper lip when I was 20. Mustache has been shorter and thinner, and has been a full blown Fu-Manchu.

I graduated HS in '73. Hey, long hair was the thing, mine has been ponytailed to shorter. Been longer for a few years...depending of definition of "long".  It is longer than when Preacherman or Larry met me. I am letting it grow. Finally had it touched up to grow as I want it too.  I can pull back over ears if want. The back in way over the collar and past shoulder.

With a Cowboy hat - I resemble Alan Jackson.  I really do in a muddy field in a pick'em truck. *grin*.

Here is the deal. Besides being a Rebel.  My kahkis,( cuffed and uncuffed)  long sleeve , button down collared Oxford shirts have never gone out of style. Nor has my  cordovan penny loafers, and Blue Blazer. Add jeans and tennis shoes. Granted more in style than others...just classic.

In another life - I found being the way I am "resourceful".  I have walked into a place with ponytail out, no jacket. Get what I came to get, ponytail inside the jacket (which was in a dime store sack) and left without being tailed.

Had a bad situation once. I am dirty blond, dark moustache , just now getting some gray in moustache, no gray in my head hair.

Anywho things got bad, serious bad. So we used some gray stuff they use in theatres, and my hair was gray, mustache too, ponytail undone and I look like Hannibal Lector. Army field jacket and I am "must be a disgruntled 'Nam Vet.

I used disguises. Part of that other life.  I may or not be in a need to do so again...besides, I am 50, didnt' get red Ferrari or hot babe...must be middle age crazy - right? Lots of guys my age are ...must be rebels too.

Boy is Sandy , Larry  and Preacher gonna be shocked when they  see me again. Betcha I can walk right by and s not  be recognized
Might be the idea of why. . Tongue

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 08:59:03 AM »
Will the pain never cease?

I saw one of my good friends who I had not seen since we defended a murder together--he has a monkey butt!  I nearly collasped on the tile.

So much for good Yankee propriety!  Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 09:34:37 AM »
The looking glass tells me in 9 months De Badger will be sporting a Monkey Butt to attract more clients.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 10:38:03 AM »
Alas, will it help with the ladies???
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 10:52:03 AM »
Chicks dig mine...  like better when its nice and trimmed

but I'm getting married in the fall, so it will be a non issue for me now.

Uranus is a gas giant.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 12:20:45 PM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Alas, will it help with the ladies???
I think it's like anything else.  Some chicks really dig it and others can't stand it.  Sort of like long or short hair.  Tall or short.  Big or skinny.  A lot of women like one and don't care much for the other.  Somewhere in the middle is acceptable to most, but not necessarily attractive to many.  I grew my hair Jesus-long and had a goatee for awhile when I was in school (before it was popular).  I had girls I hardly knew tell me how great I looked, while others that had known me a long time asked me why I grew it (polite way of telling me they thought it looked stupid).  I've rarely, if ever, been complemented by a female on a short haircut.  Maybe my head is just ugly and looks better covered up.  I now have short hair in the summer, slightly longer hair in the winter and a three day old beard every Monday morning before I shave.

I think the goatee has actually gone away somewhat down here.  You still see them, but not on every other guy like they were a few years back.  I never really cared whether people (guys) had them or didn't, so I probably don't notice them that much.
For entertainment purposes only.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 05:10:33 AM »
Must of been a recent change.  I was in Austin in June of 2004 and Dallas in August 2005, nothing but a giant inland sea of monkey butts.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2006, 07:04:08 PM »
Quote from: Smoke
I hate the look myself.  Looks like you can't grow a full beard
Some of us can't - take away my razor for a month, and I'll still have a natural goatee.  Got a problem with that?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 07:39:44 PM »
I started growing facial hair when I was 12. At 14, it began to be quite a chore keeping up with it. I've never enjoyed shaving, and for a long time, the whiskers on my cheeks would come in patchy. So, a goatee was it. I had hair past my rear until late '96, when I cut it, then began shaving it. So, I did the bald head/goatee combo. For 8 years, I alternated a shaved head and high and tight. I had to lose the goatee in 2, due to work rules. It's been off and on since. I've had a full beard a couple of times, and did the "motorhead" look, where just the goatee area is shaved, and everything else grown in. Had a Hogan a few times, shaved everything once(didn't like it, I looked like a giant baby) and tried the soul patch a time or two, but my default setting seems to be the goatee.
Right now, my hair is past my shoulders , and the goatee is back. Around here, the trend seems to be the clean shaven look, or else the wild mountain man style.
Hi.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 07:57:08 PM »
Having a baby-face saves em a lot of trouble deciding what kind of facial hair to go with. Nature done decided for me.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 08:11:48 PM »
let your soul patch glow......

Uranus is a gas giant.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2006, 01:31:41 AM »
I blame it on professional wrestling...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2006, 05:33:33 AM »
I just got back from a conference where my supervisor's supervisor's supervisor was. The guy thinks that whatever he does, everyone in our agency copies because he's so cool. He recently grew a goatee (and is definitely NOT pulling the look off), and at a reception where he was making the rounds, he came up to me and said, "You know you'll be growing one of these too..."

My reply was, "No, and I recommend you either shave yours off or else just go ahead and get yourself a set of bongos and a beret and become a beatnik." Got a great laugh from everyone around me (if you saw a picture of the guy you would know why), but probably didn't do my career much good. :D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 12:46:38 PM »
What the heck is a "monkey butt"?

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 12:52:31 PM »
Barbara, that's not what Brad said. Wink

El T, I've had a cheesey goatee for many years. Back in '94 or so, I went for weeks without shaving. My wife made a remark about how good it looked (and also said that a lot of guys who are losing their hair grow beards; thanks a lot).

Well, now she says that it just makes me look old.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2006, 04:57:54 AM »
Skunk, monkey butt=goatee.  There are other names but I want to keep it family friendly!:D

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2006, 06:22:43 AM »
I have worn a full beard for about 20 years now.  The head has been shaved for about 8 years.   What a typical looking redneck!,  Tall, big, bald, with a full beard.