Author Topic: Terror Threat  (Read 2262 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Terror Threat
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:12:38 AM »
Well looks as if we can score one for the good guys.  However,  looks as if trying to fly anytime soon will be a pain in the ass.  AP is reporting that Gov. Arnold in California has ordered the National Guard to the airports and that the Mass Gov has ordered the National Guard to Logan.  Going to get interesting.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:23:48 AM »
I think the most interesting part is past us now, and I'm thankful it wasn't any more "interesting" than it was.

Take a moment to pat your government on the back.  It isn't often that government does something good and useful for you.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Terror Threat
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 09:54:09 AM »
Take a moment to pat your government on the back.
Nope.  Per the reports I've seen on this so far, it was the governments of Briton and Pakistan that foiled this plot.  Our government here in the U.S. had no part in this, and STILL refuses to address the issue of an unsecured border.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Telperion

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 10:04:54 AM »
No liquid items allowed on board?  Will nobody think of the poor duty-free shops? Cheesy

I'll have to start saving for flight lessons and an ownership share in one of those new HondaJets.  Commercial air travel is just insufferable.  It might be a fair price to pay in the long run to avoid the cattle car experience, submachinegun-toting police with sniffer dogs, and being forced to disarm and discard sundry personal items to larcenous government employees.

m1911owner

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 10:18:23 AM »
Quote from: Telperion
It might be a fair price to pay in the long run to avoid the cattle car experience, submachinegun-toting police with sniffer dogs, and being forced to disarm and discard sundry personal items to larcenous government employees.
Citizen Telperion, where is your patriotism?  One might suspect you of not being fully committed to The Common Good.

ArmedBear

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 10:31:16 AM »
They should just blow up the airports as a prophylactic measure against terrorism.

(Disclaimer: I live in a beautiful place that happens to be in the takeoff pattern of an international airport. If they blew up the airports, my place would be worth $100,000 more overnight.)

Cheesy

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 11:06:37 AM »
Quote from: Sindawe
Take a moment to pat your government on the back.
Nope.  Per the reports I've seen on this so far, it was the governments of Briton and Pakistan that foiled this plot.  Our government here in the U.S. had no part in this, and STILL refuses to address the issue of an unsecured border.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the U.S. Federal government was responsible for foiling this particular plot.  I merely wanted to point out that government in general sometimes does something good for us all.  It's a rare occurance, but when it does happen we should recognize it for what it is.

Typhoon

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 01:11:43 PM »
I agree.

Good for Scotland Yard.  Many thanks!
To the stars!

ArmedBear

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 02:27:13 PM »
I'm glad, too, that the Brits found this.

Otherwise, the Michael Moore cult would claim that this was fabricated by the Bush administration, which of course consists of laughable morons who are somehow also diabolical masterminds.Tongue

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Terror Threat
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 02:27:33 PM »
gee, any idea of who the alleged terror suspects might be?  Have they rounded up the 'usual suspects'?  Gotta be darn careful not to stereotype any religion or ethnic group, ya know.  
Frankly, I am surprised that it took this long today to mention what will prove to be one of the seminal events of 2006.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Terror Threat
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 04:13:08 PM »
Quote from: Mannlicher
gee, any idea of who the alleged terror suspects might be?  Have they rounded up the 'usual suspects'?  Gotta be darn careful not to stereotype any religion or ethnic group, ya know.  
Frankly, I am surprised that it took this long today to mention what will prove to be one of the seminal events of 2006.
According to the news report at 6:30 approximately 21 Pakistani descended males, between the ages of 19-24 years old. What a shock. rolleyes

Report described them as "homegrown". Wasn't clear if they were citizens or not, but evidently had lived there for a long time. Can you say sleeper cell?

wmenorr67

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 05:35:09 AM »
The last report I heard was that most were native born Brits of Pakistani descent.  Of the 20-24 arrested one was female.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Terror Threat
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 06:21:26 AM »
Interestingly the British police foiled the plot by using techniques that regularly get bashed on this board as intrusion and Big Brotherism.  So, would anyone support the same kind of laws that Britain has if it would foil a plot such as this?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

spinr

Terror Threat
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 07:07:06 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Interestingly the British police foiled the plot by using techniques that regularly get bashed on this board as intrusion and Big Brotherism.  So, would anyone support the same kind of laws that Britain has if it would foil a plot such as this?
The local ABC affiliate ran their story about this last night.  Included in that was an interview with an Israeli Security Forces expert, whose name escapes me - it was Roni something-or-another I think.  Anyway the news person commented on how El Al Airlines was considered the model of safety & security for such matters.  This was followed by the security expert dude stating that it was not because they prohibited every inanimate object under the sun from being brought on the plane, but rather because they profile for suspicious person, actions and objects.  

Who'd a thunk?    Ain't too many people frakkin' around with El Al, either.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 07:36:29 AM »
Quote from: spin180
Who'd a thunk?  http://sfp180.smugmug.com/photos/87003479-M.gif  Ain't too many people frakkin' around with El Al, either.
And those few who have frakked with El Al have usually assumed room temeprature in short order.  There are times when outsourcing is a good thing - I think hiring the Israelis to do our airport security would be an excellent idea.

m1911owner

• friend
Terror Threat
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 08:27:17 AM »
Quote from: spin180
Anyway the news person commented on how El Al Airlines was considered the model of safety & security for such matters.  This was followed by the security expert dude stating that it was not because they prohibited every inanimate object under the sun from being brought on the plane, but rather because they profile for suspicious person, actions and objects.

Who'd a thunk?
If the Israeli screeners are anything like my friends who are Israelis, I'd estimate that their average IQ is at least 25 points higher than the screeners in this country.  That makes a big difference in what you can accomplish.

Ain't too many people frakkin' around with El Al, either.
I see we have another Battlestar Galactica fan here!  Wink

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Terror Threat
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 11:01:50 AM »
Quote from: m1911owner
If the Israeli screeners are anything like my friends who are Israelis, I'd estimate that their average IQ is at least 25 points higher than the screeners in this country.  That makes a big difference in what you can accomplish.
Sometimes I think Jello has an IQ 25 points higher than some airport screeners.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Terror Threat
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 02:37:50 PM »
According to the news report at 6:30 approximately 21 Pakistani descended males, between the ages of 19-24 years old. What a shock.
The most recent information I had identified them not only as British citizens, but as native born.

I am trying to see what this has to do with open borders? I bet everyone on the flights involved had perfectly adequate documentation.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Terror Threat
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
actually, I was being quite facetious in my first post on this thread.  Home grown muslims, or foreign, their agenda is the same.  The deaths of as many Brits (and Americans) as possible.  A number of these home growns had made their trips to Pakistan, were involved with radical clerics, and were being tutored by Al Quieda.  Call them anything you wish, but they are just another example of radical muslims with a desire to kill innocent people to further their twisted world view.