Author Topic: Employment Ethics  (Read 2828 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Employment Ethics
« on: August 10, 2006, 01:03:42 PM »
I am looking to move on from my current employer, and I'm not sure what is expected in this kind of situation.  When I've left other jobs, it has been to go to school or go into military service, but I've never left just to look for a better job.  

Should I tell the boss man I'm looking around, or just let him know when I have a job lined up?  

I might look for employment with other businesses we've been working with at my current job.  Any ethical issues to look out for?  

Thanks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Employment Ethics
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 01:05:34 PM »
Only if you or they, have signed a no-compete clause regarding employment.

The standard business obligation is to give your employer a two week notice AFTER you've lined up another job.

Unless you've got a very special relationship with your employer, doing otherwise is foolish.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Employment Ethics
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 01:21:27 PM »
AJ speaks truth.

DO NOT, however much your employer likes you, hint that you are looking for work.

For instance, my wife gave the usual two weeks notice.  The employer begged her to stay on 4 weeks.  She said, "OK," since she didn't want to leave them in a bind.  *One* week later, they had lined up her replacement & gave her the boot saying, "We don't want disloyal people working for us."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 01:56:42 PM »
Disloyal?  That's a laugh.  What, did they make her swear an oath of fealty?  Morons.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Employment Ethics
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 02:01:06 PM »
If your employer has a policy of giving employees very, very extended notices that they're going to lose their jobs, then I would say that you have an ethical problem.

However, other than me, I've never heard of an employer giving more than a few days or weeks notice.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Employment Ethics
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 02:22:57 PM »
evidently you are new at this 'employment' thing. Cheesy

BozemanMT

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 03:49:37 PM »
Quote from: AJ Dual
Only if you or they, have signed a no-compete clause regarding employment.

The standard business obligation is to give your employer a two week notice AFTER you've lined up another job.

Unless you've got a very special relationship with your employer, doing otherwise is foolish.
+1
exactly like this
and don't stay for any extra of the two weeks
and if you have vacation days left, use them for part of the two weeks.
Go out on a good note, but go.
and don't tell ANYONE at work you are looking
do not do interviews at work (unless you truly don't care, and I've been there), do not use your employers time for any of that.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Standing Wolf

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 04:55:48 PM »
One good way to get a raise is to turn in your resignation.

Another good way to get a raise is to let it be known you're looking for work elsewhere, depending...
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:02:22 PM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
If your employer has a policy of giving employees very, very extended notices that they're going to lose their jobs, then I would say that you have an ethical problem.
Maybe you misunderstood something.  I don't think we're talking about that.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 05:07:27 PM »
Thanks for all the input, it is what I expected but I was not sure.  

Mannlicher,

When leaving previous jobs, it was always, "Boss, I'm going to school/Army so I've got to go," or "I'm quitting school for a while, so I need full-time."  That's a little bit different from "I'm leaving because I hate this job, and it causes me to literally hate everyone connected with it and edited to avoid embarrasment, so I'm gonna leave before I get fired for edited further to remove incriminating statements."  I really hate this job.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Employment Ethics
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 06:15:36 PM »
Fistful, since we were obviously not talking about very extended notices, then you have no ethical obligation to your employer beyond the standard two-week notice.

Good luck to you.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Employment Ethics
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »
I've been patiently waiting for Friday morning as I'm going to email my contract manager and give my two week notice. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do and where I do it, along with every one of my coworkers. I've been offered and accepted as of Tuesday an admin position making almost twice the obscene amount I've been pulling in for the last year at Blue.

Last week I asked my team lead if they were going to bring any of the contractors on board as perm (meaning myself). He answered in the negative. As of the 18th I will have been there a year. They'd been talking about making several of us 'official' since December.  

We'll see tomorrow if they walk me to the door or if they 'permit' me to honor my obligation to my coworkers and work to cover their vacations, as I have willingly agreed to do. I'm pulling weekend duty until the end of the month.

Exchanging time and knowledge for money, baby.  If they'd play ball, I'd stay. If they'd listen to a reauest for a raise, I'd stay. Wouldn't have to match my other offer, even.   Lat time I was a contractor there my group saw an 18% pay cut over 3 years.

Two weeks is honorable.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Employment Ethics
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 10:16:04 PM »
2 weeks minimum. No need to let him know you are looking though.

BozemanMT

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 01:17:36 AM »
Quote from: fistful
 That's a little bit different from "I'm leaving because I hate this job, and it causes me to literally hate everyone connected with it and edited to avoid embarrasment, so I'm gonna leave before I get fired for edited further to remove incriminating statements."  I really hate this job.
We must work for the same place
I've been up since 2am I'm so mad
I'm going to go in, call a couple people way high up and say "pay attention to what the freaking data is telling you" and then we'll see what happens.
I'm so sick of it I can't stand it.
We do the same thing over and over again and wonder why it doesn't work.
and they only people they listen to are the people who are fouling it up and the data is completely ignored.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

TarpleyG

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 04:11:15 AM »
Should I tell the boss man I'm looking around, or just let him know when I have a job lined up?
I had sold my house in FL and bought another one in NC all while I was looking for a job and still working in FL.  My wife was at the end of her school year (she's a teacher) and she was coming up without me.  I told my boss what I was doing and left that Friday.  He agreed to give me a few weeks more and I could "work remotely" until I found this gig.

I wouldn't tell them anything until I had a new job lined up.

Greg

Dannyboy

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 05:30:47 AM »
When leaving previous jobs, it was always, "Boss, I'm going to school/Army so I've got to go," or "I'm quitting school for a while, so I need full-time."  That's a little bit different from "I'm leaving because I hate this job, and it causes me to literally hate everyone connected with it and edited to avoid embarrasment, so I'm gonna leave before I get fired for edited further to remove incriminating statements."  I really hate this job.
Man, I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one that is utterly miserable at his current job.  I graduated in May and I'm still looking for a real job.  It's getting to the disheartening stage now.  I hate my job so much that I'm considering going to work for my buddy in Iraq doing radio work.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Newt

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 05:54:07 AM »
"One good way to get a raise is to turn in your resignation.

Another good way to get a raise is to let it be known you're looking for work elsewhere, depending..."  --Standing Wolf

+1 on that, but beware.  I've heard of people being "dismissed" (for one reason or another) because the wrong person found out they were looking.  I had another job offer and had carefully weighed it out.  I really liked my current job, and did not want to leave, but I felt that the opportunity was a good one.  I turned in my notice and within the day, I had a counter offer of more than my new job offer was.  It worked out great for me, BUT I turned in my notice full well expecting the hardy handshake and a "Good luck." from current employer.  I never expected a counter.

Also, I'm going to have to go with everyone else here and say that you should never tell anyone you're looking until you've got an offer on the tabe you're willing to accept.  Good luck!
Newt

41 Redhawk

Employment Ethics
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 06:19:53 AM »
I find that a lot of customers and vendors are reluctant to hire from companies they do business with.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Employment Ethics
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 06:23:51 AM »
Find another job, inform them you do already have a job and you wont be able to start the full schedule for upwards of two weeks.  Unless they are desperate most employers/management/etc I know or have talked to don't mind this because it shows that if the time comes you move on from the job they are hiring you for it wont be without notice.  Shows you have character.

Then once a job is lined up tell your old employer you are going to be leaving and when they ask when say two weeks if you need me that long but a week would be better.  If it is borderline offer to stay on full time for a week and then a few days on the second week.  Then the ball is in their court you are out of there faster if they can do without you but you are leaving the option open for the full two weeks if need be. Once you have something agreed with the current employer let the new job know ASAP.

I haven't switched jobs often but the times that I have (and conversations with friends in management positions) this seems to be a pretty good option that works well.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 06:45:07 AM »
I'd love a raise, but I'd only stay with the company if they transfer me to another property.  I have lobbied for part-time help, but that doesn't appear to be coming.  And what if the guy left and they never hired anybody else?  

I came into this job with no maintenance experience, and wasn't told I'd be working by myself.  It's a wonder I didn't flood a whole floor or electrocute myself.  What did happen is that half-hour jobs took me two hours to figure out and what should have been easy fixes sometimes took a month to resolve.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 01:10:46 PM »
Do not burn any bridges.

You have no moral or ethical mandate to notify your current employer that you are looking, and it would be foolish to do so. If they know you're looking ... they'll be looking. If they find your replacement before you find the "right" new situation, you will suddenly find that you have a lot more time in which to seek alternate employment.

On the other hand, once you find and accept an offer of alternate employment, simply turn in a bland letter of resignation giving the standard two week's notice. Do not get into specificity about why you are leaving or (especially!) how much you hate the job or the company. Remember that the current job will be on your resume for many years, and if in the future a prospective employer decides to call this company, you want them to speak positively or at least neutrally about you. You do NOT want them to think so badly of you that they'll torpedo any future jobs you may seek by trashing you when contacted.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 02:01:36 PM »
Quote from: Hawkmoon
Do not burn any bridges.

Do not get into specificity about why you are leaving or (especially!) how much you hate the job or the company.
Well, yeah.  You didn't think I was going to say that to my employer, did you?

Declaration Day

• friends
Employment Ethics
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 04:00:18 PM »
Here's my take on it......and I am an employer:

Don't feel bad about leaving your current job, no matter what your reason for leaving is.  You owe your company nothing, as you have already earned them much more money than they've paid you.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Employment Ethics
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 04:08:44 PM »
Dec Day, with all due respect, spare me the lecture.

Declaration Day

• friends
Employment Ethics
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 04:24:01 PM »
I have no idea what lecture you're talking about.  My point was that, even as someone who might normally be on the other side of the argument, I am on yours.

You must have misunderstood me, as people don't normally snap at me when I take their side.