Author Topic: Torn Disk in my back?  (Read 851 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Torn Disk in my back?
« on: August 11, 2006, 02:32:36 PM »
According to the MRI, I have "torn" a disk in my lower back.

I have heard of ruptured disks, "blown" disks, but never "torn".

Please advise?!?!?!?
One day at a time.

P95Carry

Torn Disk in my back?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 05:02:56 PM »
Ex - as an old osteopath (practice 1967 thru 1974) - which I gave up due to my own back probs, let me explain.

The IVD (intervertebral disk) is essentially an outer containment, the anulus fibrosus, made up of strong fibers a bit like ligament.  Inside is the goo called the nucleus pulposus.

Under stress nuclear material can escape thru a rupture/tear of the annulus - the worst problem, in particular when the protrusion presses on a nerve root.

However - a tear can occur without any nuclear material escaping significantly.  It is hard to diagnose ordinarily but MRI is pretty foolproof and so seems this is what they detected.

Under flexion (fwd bending) the disk is under max stress, the rear being both stretched and trying contain the pressure from within - this is most usual point of failure.  I suspect you will have to carefully avoid excess fwd bending for some while to allow resolution - and certainly no bending to lift - use bended knees to get down low.

I'll add also - sometimes a strain of an apophyseal joint (one each side of vertebral arch) - can lead to enough inflammation to itself affect nerve roots - and manipulation is sometimes helpful to unlock these ... to speed up resolution.

Sorry - bit of a ramble Wink
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Preacherman

Torn Disk in my back?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:34:06 PM »
Based on my own experience (a ruptured disk back in February 2004), a "torn" disk is simply one with a smaller hole than a "ruptured" disk.  A "herniated" disk is one with a bulge that has not (yet) developed a hole.

Be very, very attentive to your doctor, and do what he says.  These things are not fun to take to surgery.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Torn Disk in my back?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 02:50:32 AM »
Here's the history-

I'm a "big guy".  Not fat (maybe a little), but big.  I have always been the one that people call with "hey, can you move this".  That's me.

Last summer my lawn tractor got stuck in a water ditch.  I did what I have always done- picked the thing up and moved it.  Picked it up low and twisted.  I felt a pop.  No pain, but I knew it was comming so I picked it up a second time to get it out of the hole.  I was smart enough to know I was in trouble.  I put it away, took off my dirty clothes, proceeded to go upstairs to take a hot shower, and got stuck 1/2 way up.  My wife helped me the rest of the way up...

In the past year I have done PT, Chiro, Heat, Ice, Pain meds, nothing, stretching, massage.  I am now at the point (thanks to the chiro) that I can be on my feet for about 15-20 minutes, then I'm junk.  I HAVE to sit for 4-5, then I'm good for another 15-20.  

Problems:
Sporatic numbness, pain, tingling, nothing.  1 minute I can be in agony.  Then the leg may go numb.  Then I could be fine for a day or so.  There is no consistency.  This morning, I can not get my left foot to go to the floor flat.  My big toe will not go to the floor.

My big problem- this is the worst.  I can not get on the floor to play with my daughter.  It is killing me.  I watch her play, and I can not.

sigh.

I'm meeting with a surgwon to discuss the next step.

I can't hike, bike ride, swim, IDPA is a challange.  Traveling for business is a nightmare.

Guys, I can't play with my Daughter, and it is killing me.
One day at a time.

One of Many

• friend
Torn Disk in my back?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 07:33:54 AM »
Get it taken care of (surgery) as soon as possible, unless you want the nerve damage to be permanent.  For years I ignored muscle spasms and cramps (charlie horse), and tight muscles that caused me to limp.  I waited until the pain was so bad, and for so long, that I could not ignore it; that was a big mistake.  When I did see the surgeon, he said it would not help to have surgery.  

Physical therapy may help somewhat, but is not guaranteed to do so.  My first round of physical therapy did help for a while, but a later round of physical therapy did not.  I found that the greatest relief from my pain came from using a walking cane to help support part of my weight, and relieve pressure on the bulged disc; however, having one hand occupied with a cane limits the ability to carry objects that do not have a handle.

My nerve damage was ignored for too long, and I now have a loss of muscle function in my left leg; I can not support my weight on the ball of my left foot, so I have to make sure the left heel is flat on the surface of steps when I go up and down stairs.  I have partial numbness from the toes of my left foot all of the way up the outside of my left leg; yet a very light touch on part of my left leg causes uncontrollable spasm of some of the muscles in the left leg.  I also have the problem of not being able to stand for more than a few minutes without pain causing me to sit down and rest; along with that is a limitation on the distance I can walk without having to sit down.

I did the typical MAN thing, and tried to tough out the pain, without seeking medical care.  That silliness on my part has resulted in my being partially disabled, and handicapped for many activities I would love to be able to participate in, but now can not.  I hope that by sharing my experience, it will encourage you (and any others with  disc problems) to seek a competent orthopedic surgeon and get the proper treatment, while the damage to the nerve is still reversible.