Author Topic: Prepayment penalty and income tax  (Read 2290 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Prepayment penalty and income tax
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:59:18 PM »
Lets say I refinance my mortgage and there is a prepayment penalty on the original note.  If I don't pay that penalty with out of pocket cash and roll it into the new mortgage, can I claim that on my taxes?  

By reading this it's saying I cannot claim it if I roll it into the new loan.  Please confirm.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/tax_adviser/20021025a.asp

Dear Tax Talk,
I recently had to refinance my second mortgage and equity line on my house to get the joint debt ownership to a single debt ownership. Even though I kept the mortgage note and equity in the same bank, they charged me a prepayment penalty. This is clearly indicated as such on the closing documents, and the prepayment fee is indicated in the original mortgage as a point basis. Is the prepayment amount deductible as it is expressed as points and was rolled over into the other note taken with the bank?

Dear Marty,
A prepayment penalty on a home mortgage is generally deductible as interest expense when paid. However, based on what you're telling me, it sounds like you refinanced the prepayment penalty into the new home mortgage.

In order for the prepayment penalty to be deductible, you would have had to actually pay it at the time of closing on the new loan. For example, if the prepayment penalty was $3,000 and you had out of pocket costs of at least that amount at the closing of the new loan, you can deduct the prepayment penalty.

If instead, the prepayment penalty was covered by additional borrowing, then no payment took place and you need to spread the deduction over the term of the new loan. To continue the example, if you took out a 30-year loan then you would deduct $100 annually for the prepayment penalty.

The same rule applies to points paid to purchase a new home. Your out-of-pocket expenses at closing, including earnest money, has to be more than the charges for points in order that you get a full deduction.

TaxPhd

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:19:27 AM »
This is correct:

"In order for the prepayment penalty to be deductible, you would have had to actually pay it at the time of closing on the new loan. For example, if the prepayment penalty was $3,000 and you had out of pocket costs of at least that amount at the closing of the new loan, you can deduct the prepayment penalty.

If instead, the prepayment penalty was covered by additional borrowing, then no payment took place and you need to spread the deduction over the term of the new loan. To continue the example, if you took out a 30-year loan then you would deduct $100 annually for the prepayment penalty."

Individuals are cash basis taxpayers.  You have to actually pay it to deduct it.  Since you will be paying it over time, you will deduct it over time.

Scott
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
The company is telling me that the equity in my house will cover the cost of the prepayment penalty.  If that's the case, can I claim it then?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 08:14:59 AM »
"The equity in your house covering it" sure sounds like it is being wrapped into the note.  Are they having you bring any cash to closing?

There's only a few common ways to pay penaltys and points.  Cash at closing, wrapping them into the note amount (in essence paid at closing out of your cash out) or by building them into the note rate.

Ask them to show you a good faith estimate for your loan.  If the "Cash due at closing" is zero then the penalty is being financed and should be shown as such.  If it's in the note you can not only take the deduction over time but you're getting the tax write off for the interest paid on that portion of the note amount (which wouldn't be there if you paid it with cash).  You're trading a big write-off now for one, probably bigger, over time.

I'm a mortgage guy, not a tax attorney or accountant.  That may or may not be a decent trade for you.  It has a lot to do with how long you plan to keep the property and the time value of money.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »
Bout 3 more years.  I think I'll opt out of the refinancing for now.  There is no cash at closing, just the fee for an appraisal.  I'm in a 3/1 arm and that goes adjustable in 2007.  The penalty was for the 1st 3 years and ends the same time the fixed rate does.  

I think I'll wait to see how things look next year.  Maybe I'll sell then and live on base the last year.  I'm retiring in 2008 and have no plans on living here when I retire.  East of the Mississippi for this dude.