Author Topic: I'm never buying anything used again!!!!  (Read 772 times)

client32

• friend
I'm never buying anything used again!!!!
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:30:16 AM »
Just a vent here move along.

A while back, maybe 2 months, I bought a 97 pickup.  Beore I even got the paper work done, I had to replace the starter.

Friday, I closed on a house.  It needs some work, we have been working on it all weekend.  My wife walks in today to find that she can hear water running (We don't live in the house yet)  Somewhere under the house a pipe busted.  The water meter out back is digital and was reporting 9.96 gpm.  3.5 inches of water standing in the crawl space under the house.  I rented a little pump, and it is chruning away.  2 hours later it doesn't even look like the water level has dropped.  Oh well, it will get there.

Back to work, I have some painting to do.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 12:00:02 PM »
I'm never going to buy another new car again. It's lease-returns form here on out.

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:56:47 PM »
Quote from: wingnutx
I'm never going to buy another new car again. It's lease-returns form here on out.
I leased a car once (bad idea!) and well, you don't want to buy a return.
think of it as the ultimate rental car
use it for 30/40k miles and then turn it in
as long as it looks good and has new tires, they don't care.

in 36k miles
I changed the oil once.
I lived in Montana, and at 20 below, I used to just start it, drop it in gear and drive off.  (before the little red lights even went off)
I doubt that car made 50k miles
But hey, it was under warranty for me adn it still looked good when I turned it back in.
never buy an old rental car or a lease return.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 05:16:32 PM »
I rented a car in Virginia about a year and a half ago when I was visiting for my transfer interview....I dogged the *expletive deleted*it out of that little thing (Cavalier).  Off curbs, high speed uies, etc....and I'd bet I didn't do half the hard driving someone else might....
Also, I had a rental minivan last april, and did a high-speed uie, right into a 1' curb.  Totalled the right rim, probably did some suspension damage...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 05:39:31 PM »
Dogs

Come to the conclusions

1. Dogs formerly owned work out fine.
2. If humans were more like dogs - world would be a better place.

Other than that,  "used" is pretty much a crap shoot...

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 09:12:19 AM »
When I tear down the old house (built in 1920 or so) and put up another it will be a modular home.

They are better built than the newer homes now days.  Too many contractors using substandered (but legal) material and too many illegals who know just enough about building a house to have it stand up for a couple of years.

Friend of mine just bought a newly built home (5 years old) and already has have to get the foundation repaired, replace a supporting beam and the floor in the bathroom is sloping.

And no, no one lived in it beforehand.  He did get it for what he thought was a good price.

The builder is one of those really big ones and they basically told him to sue, they had money to run this in the courts for years, did he have the money to do the same.

With the modular homes, they have a better warrenty and they are under different laws since they are considered non-fixed homes.

Wayne

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 09:15:06 AM »
plus they are almost always a lot cheaper.

I remember some house show where they looked at dale jr's house and it is a modular and he said it cost him about half of what it owuld have to have the place built on site.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 11:51:04 AM »
anyone that knows where to buy a brand new 1976 chevy/gmc pickup please let me know ... Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin