Author Topic: This new pope is pretty cool  (Read 14615 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
This new pope is pretty cool
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
http://www.france24.com/en/20130919-pope-wants-airport-bishops-grounded

He seems to really be shaking up the church and cleaning it up.  And genuine in his desire to do so.

I started this thread in the Politics forum, mostly due to the seemingly apolitical nature of this pope and how surprising it is.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: This new pope is pretty cool
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
hes very cool

now watch how the vatican political machine goes after him
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
hes very cool

Verbum.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
its saddened me to say it  its a time where being wrong would make me very happy
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »
If they are not in the office, how can they become aware of the various abuses being committed by those under them? :angel:

Not being a Catholic, the few times I have observed the parish response to a visit from the Bishop made me understand why we no longer have nobility in the country.  There was more pomp and circumstance in one visit than at a dozen high school graduations.  It might actually be cheaper to keep them on the seminar circuit.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »
Is this the Pope who wears regular shoes instead of some expensive fancy ones?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:43:24 PM »
hes very cool

Unless he's got buggered altar boys in his past, I'm not completely sure they can. I guess they could undermine any of his more technical initiatives in terms of actual implementation. Not counting the outright corruption, financial and powerbrokering, a lot of the opposition in the Vatican is of the more liberal/worldly persuasion. And I can't see how they're going to find fault with his recent messages indicating that while the catechism isn't going to change on the issues, pursuing the "culture war" on homosexuality and birth control isn't going to be a priority going forward is going to make them line up against him.

I think if he doesn't demand some huge audit of the Vatican's books beyond maybe letting it be known he wants an end to a few of the most egregious abuses, they'll leave him be.

Real life isn't some Dan Brown novel, I don't think they're going to poison him, or set up a new anti-pope in Avignon.  [tinfoil]

If there's actual movement on married clergy, I think the main downside is this is the pope who could have saved the Catholic Church in America... if he'd been selected 20-30 years ago.

An itinerant priest who has to handle 3-4 parishes, or when they can't sustain even that, an import from S. America or Africa who can barely say mass in English, that's not going to cut it.
I promise not to duck.

• friends
Re: Re: This new pope is pretty cool
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 03:49:31 AM »
You can be a married priest now. Just have to defect from the episcopal church

damn phone

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Re: This new pope is pretty cool
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »
You can be a married priest now. Just have to defect from the episcopal church

damn phone

Aware of that loophole, but it's just a trickle.
I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
oh but i think it opens a doot

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
oh but i think it opens a doot

I personally think only trained, qualified and licensed individuals should be allowed to open a doot. :laugh:
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »
Pope Francis is the Catholic version of a liberal Republican.  Hmmmn... CINO?  I don't see how his liberation theology, amoral, don't-stand-for-anything sort of viewpoint will stand the church in good stead.  This is an unfolding disaster for Catholicism.  If some Catholics want a fuzzy-bunny, puppy kisses, socially conscious church, there's any number of others they can attend.

I believe there's gonna be a split/schism in the church. 
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »
double tap
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:20:02 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
triple tap
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:20:32 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »
geez
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:21:02 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
My pastor mentioned the Pope yesterday; says he's not too sure of the guy.  I asked if he was talking about the Pope wanting to take a softer stance on homosexuality and abortion and birth control, and focus more on the Gospel.  You can't bring people in if you are constantly driving them away.  He said no, it was the part (which I hadn't heard and have not yet verified) where he said people should follow their consciences, and if they do that it's good enough -- with no mention of Jesus at all.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 02:58:45 PM »
He said no, it was the part (which I hadn't heard and have not yet verified) where he said people should follow their consciences, and if they do that it's good enough -- with no mention of Jesus at all.

So now we now have a secular humanist as a Pope?  :facepalm:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
Pope Francis is the Catholic version of a liberal Republican.  Hmmmn... CINO?  I don't see how his liberation theology, amoral, don't-stand-for-anything sort of viewpoint will stand the church in good stead.  This is an unfolding disaster for Catholicism.  If some Catholics want a fuzzy-bunny, puppy kisses, socially conscious church, there's any number of others they can attend.

I believe there's gonna be a split/schism in the church.  

As I understand it, Francis is not saying that abortion is OK, or that homosexuality is not a sin. Rather, he wants the church to handle such sins in a softer way. Now, that may not work, either, but he isn't nearly so "tolerant" as the portrait the media is painting of him.

Aware of that loophole, but it's just a trickle.

I thought Catholic priests could also be married, if they were already married before they went "religious."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
My pastor mentioned the Pope yesterday; says he's not too sure of the guy.  I asked if he was talking about the Pope wanting to take a softer stance on homosexuality and abortion and birth control, and focus more on the Gospel.  You can't bring people in if you are constantly driving them away.  He said no, it was the part (which I hadn't heard and have not yet verified) where he said people should follow their consciences, and if they do that it's good enough -- with no mention of Jesus at all.

no mention?
http://www.religionnews.com/2013/09/11/pope-francis-tells-atheists-to-obey-their-conscience/

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »

As I understand it, Francis is not saying that abortion is OK, or that homosexuality is not a sin. Rather, he wants the church to handle such sins in a softer way. Now, that may not work, either, but he isn't nearly so "tolerant" as the portrait the media is painting of him.

I thought Catholic priests could also be married, if they were already married before they went "religious."

http://www.catholic.com/blog/jimmy-akin/pope-francis-on-abortion-and-homosexual-marriage

http://www.lifenews.com/2013/03/13/new-pope-francis-called-abortion-the-death-penalty-for-the-unborn/

i think this pope scares folks
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/09/yesterday-msm-reports-francis-said-church-is-obsessed-about-abortion-today-pope-francis-talks-about-abortion/

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »
Thanks for the link.

i had a g/f who once posed a great question.

if someone lead a good life, in the classic judeo/christian sense of morals/commandments, and had never been exposed to the idea of god and belief, would the god of my understanding deny him ?

i would like to think not. and i surely hope that that person would be favored over the many pious hypocrites that parade around. i do belive in that god of compassion and understanding and try not to involve myself with preachers that don't. and one does not have to be wbc class to not make the grade

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
i had a g/f who once posed a great question.

if someone lead a good life, in the classic judeo/christian sense of morals/commandments, and had never been exposed to the idea of god and belief, would the god of my understanding deny him ?

i would like to think not. and i surely hope that that person would be favored over the many pious hypocrites that parade around. i do belive in that god of compassion and understanding and try not to involve myself with preachers that don't. and one does not have to be wbc class to not make the grade

Jesus answered that one pretty clearly. Lead a good life by obeying the commandments, and you will be saved.

Of course, only Christ himself has ever managed to pull it off...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »
without attempting to deal with the "salvation by faith alone" Protestant orthodoxy, let me say that the Pope should, at the least, suggest that maybe one might at least nod toward the Nicene Creed, the Bible, the lives of the saints, or SOMETHING that resembles doctrinal, doctrinaire Catholicism.  "Obsessed with abortion".  Really?  A practice that has ended more lives in the last handful of years than all wars fought in the 20th century?  THAT abortion???  Toughen up, Francis.  You don't stand for that, you don't stand for anything.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.