Author Topic: We are poor (er) little lambs, who have lost our way.  (Read 1791 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
We are poor (er) little lambs, who have lost our way.
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:22:13 PM »
Actor Bob Conrad of Wild, Wild West and Black Sheep Squadron died todayy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pvzA6-tSqE
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: We are poor (er) little lambs, who have lost our way.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:24:59 PM »
Actor Bob Conrad of Wild, Wild West and Black Sheep Squadron died todayy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pvzA6-tSqE

Two of my favorite shows as a yout.

RIP
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 12:03:15 AM »
I loved Black Sheep Squadron.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:38:50 AM »
RIP
Decent actor, don't remember seeing him in anything  I didn't like.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 07:48:12 AM »
RIP. I too, thought he was great in BSS. I recall he had a rep as a tough guy, but was an overall decent sort. I remember watching Wild, Wild, West as a kid.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 09:30:17 AM »
I loved Black Sheep Squadron.

Not to start a thread derailment but many may not be aware that VMF-214 (Black Sheep) and Gregory "Pappy" Boyington actually existed although most of the show was complete fiction. Boyington himself actually appeared on the show 2 or 3 times. I have his book,  Baa Baa Black Sheep, around here somewhere.
VMF-214, now known as VMA-214, is still around
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »
Not to start a thread derailment but many may not be aware that VMF-214 (Black Sheep) and Gregory "Pappy" Boyington actually existed although most of the show was complete fiction. Boyington himself actually appeared on the show 2 or 3 times. I have his book,  Baa Baa Black Sheep, around here somewhere.
I understand parts of the Black Sheep's WWII airstrip are still visible on Vella La Vella. (not the fictitious "Vella La Cava" from the TV show).

In an interview about the TV series, one of the surviving VMF-214 pilots said an awful lot of the show - pilot screw ups and other wild hijinks - were fiction. But the BIGGEST departure from reality was the presence of pretty nurses on the show.

Interesting tidbit: during WWII, Boyington (the real one) traveled once on a Dutch ship, the Boschfontein. I remember my Dad traveled at least once on the same ship during the war, though probably not at the same time as Boyington. He told me the Dutch crew was worse than the English about having their tea - at tea time, everything on board just . . . stopped.

I enjoyed the show anyway. Bob Conrad, R.I.P.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
I was fortunate enough to meet Pappy Boyington at a couple of airshows during my warbirding days.  He was a very nice guy, a pleasure to talk to.  Bought a copy of his book that he graciously autographed for me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »

I have an autographed copy of his book.

Back to the OP...

Looks like someone finally knocked that battery off his shoulder.  RIP

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 04:42:56 PM »
I loved Black Sheep.   I liked Wild Wild West,  but it was  really only what we watched while waiting for STAR TREK to come on.   As a college student I worked with the son of a man who'd flown with Pappy Boyington,  and informed me of the show's technical inaccuracies (nurses,  Vella la Cava ,  etc)  but still like the show.

My father once ran into Boyington at the U. S. Naval Sub Base in Groton Connecticut ....had to be 1953-4.   My father had a rather direct way of expressing himself, so when I asked him what he thought of the real Boyington,  he only said, "drunken bum."

R. I. P.  Robert Conrad.  You did well.

Of note:  actor Orson Bean also died yesterday after being struck by a car.   I didn't even realize he was still around....must have been in his 90s.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »
Orson Bean was 91.  I remember him being the cuckolded older hubby in 2 1/2 Men whose trophy wife was upstairs in Charley Harper's bedroom.

RIP, Robert Conrad.

I liked BBBS a lot and liked Robert Conrad in it, but the main thing was the Corsairs.  
Terry
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:47:02 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 07:35:23 PM »
| attended a VMF-214 reunion in 2001 or 2002 I think.  It was held in Mt Pleasant IN. and was billed as the Gathering of Corsairs.  They had 3 or 4 Corsairs,  a dozen squadron pilots, 2 or 3 actors from the series, and Cook Cleland.   Red West and Robert Ginty were the 2 actors I met that day.  Cook Cleland flew an F2G2 Super Corsair in the Thompson Trophy races. 

R.I.P Robert Conrad.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 07:45:06 PM »
I understand parts of the Black Sheep's WWII airstrip are still visible on Vella La Vella. (not the fictitious "Vella La Cava" from the TV show).

In an interview about the TV series, one of the surviving VMF-214 pilots said an awful lot of the show - pilot screw ups and other wild hijinks - were fiction. But the BIGGEST departure from reality was the presence of pretty nurses on the show.

Interesting tidbit: during WWII, Boyington (the real one) traveled once on a Dutch ship, the Boschfontein. I remember my Dad traveled at least once on the same ship during the war, though probably not at the same time as Boyington. He told me the Dutch crew was worse than the English about having their tea - at tea time, everything on board just . . . stopped.

I enjoyed the show anyway. Bob Conrad, R.I.P.

This link seems to indicate that it is right on the coast.   If so, it is visible.

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/vmf-214-black-sheep-squadron-airfield/view/google

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 07:56:05 PM »

My father once ran into Boyington at the U. S. Naval Sub Base in Groton Connecticut ....had to be 1953-4.   My father had a rather direct way of expressing himself, so when I asked him what he thought of the real Boyington,  he only said, "drunken bum."

I have read that opinion of Boyington in more than one source. Your father was probably not far off the mark.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 08:06:03 PM »

This link seems to indicate that it is right on the coast.   If so, it is visible.

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/vmf-214-black-sheep-squadron-airfield/view/google

That looks correct.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vella+Lavella+Island/@-7.9133301,156.7059621,1999m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x68d2ffa16f404c3f:0x9ea06cdcb38d6d3a!8m2!3d-7.7587665!4d156.6652785

There appears to be another abandoned air strip at the north end of the island, but I don't have any idea what it might have been -- or when.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 08:11:41 PM »
I never  noticed when I first watched the show as a kid, but I watched it again after having put in several years of survey flights around the Channel Islands under my belt to where I knew every inch of the coastlines. I was quite surprised when  I watched it the second time around to see that almost all the stock footage of island shots was from the Northern Channel Islands. They must have rented a plane in LA, done a few go rounds, then just kept inserting different angles from different parts of the islands over the seasons.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 08:15:39 PM »
That looks correct.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vella+Lavella+Island/@-7.9133301,156.7059621,1999m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x68d2ffa16f404c3f:0x9ea06cdcb38d6d3a!8m2!3d-7.7587665!4d156.6652785

There appears to be another abandoned air strip at the north end of the island, but I don't have any idea what it might have been -- or when.

The one on the north end actually looks to be an active strip, possibly for smaller island hoppers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
RIP, Mr. West. Looks like Loveless finally caught up with you.

I always loved watching you as I was growing up. (James West is who he'll always be to me.)

(Never seen the Black Sheep Squadron, though. That looks good.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »
In my younger daze I watched BSS and MASH which were on TV back to back.  My best friend had just come home from his 2nd tour in Viet Nam and he had ceramic skull full of some decent pot.  So we'd smoke a bit and watch both programs while tipping a couple beers.  We did that for a couple years.  Good times.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 07:40:00 PM »
Dirt strip, small planes, quite a few buildings and relatively recent agricultural activity in close proximity.
Here are a few examples close to home:
This is my cousin's place, strip runs East/West just South of the house and hangars .
https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B029'20.9%22N+95%C2%B008'03.0%22W/@36.489147,-95.1363447,904m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d36.4891468!4d-95.1341558

Not to change the subject, but I see roundels!   Nice place.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 08:50:54 PM »
Rip.
Enjoyed the show growing up and meet Boyington when my dad and I used to go out to the combat air museum in Topeka years ago.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 08:58:40 PM »
Not to change the subject, but I see roundels!   Nice place.

I'm not sure what all he has now. I can see 5 on the ground and I'd bet he still has the Jenny in the hangar.

Samuel Adams