Author Topic: Officer Dumps Dead Babys Ashes During Drug Search  (Read 4940 times)

Justin

• friend
Officer Dumps Dead Babys Ashes During Drug Search
« on: August 08, 2005, 04:05:27 PM »
Officer Dumps Dead Baby's Ashes During Drug Search

Jason Burnham has filed suit in Mount Dora, Fl. after a police officer dumped out the ashes of his deceased daughter in search of cocaine. Burnham was stopped on the street on suspicion of intoxication and subsequently detained and searched. During the search, Mount Dora Police Officer Brad Cline dumped out the contents of a cross-shaped pendant Burnham wore, suspecting it contained cocaine. Burnham claims that upon discovering that the pedant contained ashes, and not drugs, Cline brushed the contents from the hood of his police car to the ground.

While the desecration of the infants remains is particularly shocking to the conscience, it also appears that there existed no justification for any search of Burnhams person in the first place. His apparent intoxication was caused by Xanax pills he was taking for depression following his daughters recent death, and for which he had a valid prescription. Upon learning this, Officer Cline had no reason to continue treating Burnham as a criminal suspect.

Burnham, who was never charged with any crime, is suing the City of Mount Dora and Officer Cline for false arrest, false detention, illegal search, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

This tragedy is a poignant example of the injustices that become inevitable when police habitually seek access to the personal effects of countless law-abiding citizens. Widespread drug searches are a numbers game justified by a few arrests, while the indignities suffered by people like Jason Burnham are rarely factored into the equation. Only by asserting our rights and suing police who violate them can we push back against police practices that regard all citizens as guilty until proven innocent.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 04:25:08 PM »
Well, yeah, but we're not a police state.

I mean, what the heck? We're in the middle of the famous War on Drugs, aren't we? Some drugs, anyway. Not the kind you see on T.V. Those are okay. Well, except the ones that aren't really okay.

Pretty soon, we're going to have to burn the village to the ground to save it.

Yeah. That's how you fight wars, right?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 04:27:38 PM »
The officer is an idiot or derelict. If he truely suspected the cross contained cocaine, he'd have seized it and performed a field test on the contents which takes about three minutes max. You don't dump potential evidence out of a container onto your car hood. I hope this guy ends up owning a large portion of the city and the offending officer works as a slave for the rest of his career.

All Hail another 'victory' in the War on (some) Drugs.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 04:42:18 PM »
I hope this guy ends up owning a large portion of the city and the offending officer works as a slave for the rest of his career.
I couldn't agree more.  

Chris

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 05:25:02 PM »
that is CRAZY!  reminds me of the scene from the big lebowski.

atek3

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 05:25:30 PM »
Xanax is used to treat anxiety, not depression.
That said, I hope the city of Mount Dora has to write Jason Burnham a big check. Without admitting wrongdoing, of course (where's that sarcastic smiley?)

Strings

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 08:31:40 PM »
Wow... I'm just... wow...

I'd love to say what I'm REALLY thinking, but they wouldn't just ban me from here, but probably the entire internet...

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 01:54:13 AM »
In the war on drugs, a few innocents will be victims.  And if we have so little regard for the living, why should we be surprised that there is none for the dead?

I hope he bankrupts them.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 05:16:43 AM »
I agree that the actions of the officer exceeded the proper scope of a traffic stop.  However, the driver appears to admit that he was driving in a manner (due to the medication) that caused to officer to pull him over.  Most medication that has the property of reducing control is labled clearly NOT TO OPERATE MACHINERY, including automobiles.

The post doesn't indicate whether the driver had any prior contact with this officer or police department that may have influenced the results, so I must express dismay that the search was conducted as described.

I am surprised that the container of ashes was not sealed to prevent opening by accident or by unauthorized persons.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 06:49:40 AM »
Hey, it's worth it if we can keep just one person from ingesting some substances of their own free will. The rewards justify the means... right?
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Strings

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 08:27:21 AM »
One of Many: you appearantly didn't read the original piece: the only "machinery" the man was "operating" was his feet...

Iain

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 08:31:30 AM »
Some police officer has watched 'Cruel Intentions' too many times.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 10:50:57 AM »

Nope, we don't live in a Police State.
http://www.dhs.gov
http://www.fbi.gov/
http://www.atf.gov/

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 01:16:31 PM »
Isn't desecration of the dead a crime in many states?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 02:25:55 AM »
The fact that this citizen is able to file suit against the police, and that he stands an excellent chance of winning said suit, is pretty strong evidence that we are a long way from a police state.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 04:09:25 AM »
outstanding police work rolleyes
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 04:30:58 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
The fact that this citizen is able to file suit against the police, and that he stands an excellent chance of winning said suit, is pretty strong evidence that we are a long way from a police state.
But being treated like a subject by the police isn't fair nor constitutional.  
Given the time, money, effort, and stress that goes into a lawsuit, I'd give this one to the police.  They've already won.  They've abused this poor schmuck's rights, done what they wanted to do, and now its up to him to sue.  How many people get abused by the police that don't sue?  Searched in violation of the 4th and 5th amendments, but they just take it?  
No sir, we're pretty much a police state already.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 11:45:52 AM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
One of Many: you appearantly didn't read the original piece: the only "machinery" the man was "operating" was his feet...
Yes, I did read the original article before posting, thank you very much.  It said he was stopped "on the street", not on the sidewalk.  That usually (but not always) means a person was driving an automobile.

There was no detail given to indicate that he was walking instead of driving.  Your assumption that MY assumption was invalid is logically just as faulty.  Before berating someone else, you should think twice, or maybe three times, and then type.

I was suggesting a possible reason for the police to stop a person, and pointing out that we need to be aware of the dangers of medication side effects that may make it likely a person would be stopped by the police.  Most places have ordinances against public drunkeness, so you can be stopped for weaving down the sidewalk.

The police officer would have been acting properly to have requested proof that the individual was on prescription medication, at which point he should have offered to assist the individual to his destination, if the officer believed he was impaired.  Without proof of prescription medication, the assumption of illegal drug use is virtually guaranteed, and the resulting search is a foregone conclusion.  The problem was the extent of the search, and the disrespect shown to the individual and his property (the ashes).

I believe that this officer was far beyond the normal limits of decency, in the way he treated this person.  We need to learn from these reports of encounters with police, so that we minimize our own chances of similar problems.

Playing the "smarter than you" game does nothing to further that goal.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 11:55:21 AM »
Filed in Lake Circuit Court, the lawsuit accuses the city and Officer Brad Cline of illegally stopping and searching Jason Burnham, 34, as he was walking home after Hurricane Charley.
Source: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/orl-lklashes02080205aug02,0,7542491.story  The original peice.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Strings

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 12:38:15 PM »
Sindawe beat me to the rebuttal. I SUPPOSE you could walk while driving, although I haven't seen many Flintstone cars on the streets...

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 06:31:18 PM »
So nice of you to post a link to something after I respond, and then claim I should have looked at it first.  I read the original link in this thread which did not contain detailed info, and now you ADD a new link with more info and say I should have seen that link before responding.

The ADDED link supports your statement, but the original link DID NOT.

Your actions are despicable.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 06:47:20 PM »
One of Many: The first link by posted by Justin had the link to the original piece in the first line of the articlel "Jason Burnham has filed suit in Mount Dora, Fl. after a police officer dumped out the ashes of his deceased daughter in search of cocaine."  That is where I got the quote *I* posted for you.  
Before berating someone else, you should think twice, or maybe three times, and then type.
Very sound advice.  Pity that you have chosen not to follow it.  Again...
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Strings

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 07:11:23 PM »
ok... *I'm* despicable, because someone else posts a link that was available in the original post? Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot, over? Could someone actually explain this one to me?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »
Hunter Rose: Well, it obvious.  Since I beat you to the rebuttal, YOU must of thought of it first, so that makes you an evil person.

I guess....makes as much sense as anything else I can think of.

Strings

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 08:57:55 PM »
ummm... Sindawe? Could you run THAT one over me another time or three? Might make more sense then...

One of Many: go to the link at the very top of the first post. at that site, within the first couple lines of the story, is another link: it's the same link Sindawe provided. Maybe what I SHOULD have said originally was "read the whole story, and all links provided". Would that have been better?