Author Topic: Good riddance Sallie Mae!  (Read 2578 times)

cfabe

• friend
Good riddance Sallie Mae!
« on: August 11, 2005, 07:29:45 PM »
Just paid off my student loans today, 8 months after graduating. So nice to have my net worth actually be positive for a change. What a relief to be done with that.  Now the plan is to take the 60% of my paycheck I was putting toward the loan and re-direct it into a money market savings account to be used for a house downpayment in a year or two.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 02:37:26 AM »
8 months, holy crap.  My wife has near $20,000 still and we have been paying since before we were married.  Her truck is paid for in November and the plan is to use that monthly payment towards the student loans.  Should be paid off in 3 years.  It feels good, doesn't it???  Now, if you don't own a home, go buy one...that my advice to you.  If you have good enough credit and a good job, you won't need a downpayment.  They are practically giving away money now.

Greg

DigMe

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 07:09:59 AM »
You guys should see my wife's medical school loans.  I try not to think about them.  Out of sight out of mind (just kidding).

brad cook

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 07:22:51 AM »
It is my view that the easy availibility of cheap student loans has fueled the incredible rise in tuition cost over the years.  I do not think there has been a single year in the last 25 that tuition has not outstripped inflation.
People go into heavy debt for their BAs and then what?

But positive net worth is a very good thing.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 11:01:08 AM »
It is my view that the easy availibility of cheap student loans has fueled the incredible rise in tuition cost over the years
You ain't just whistlin' dixie.  When I started at my current school, tuition was $5800 a semester for full-time enrollment (12-17 hours).  Then it was $6900, then $7800, this year it's $8300.  The rationale for this increase was not that they needed it, but that all the other private schools around were charging more, so they should too.  I REALLY lucked out, and was able, every year, to secure additional scholarships that covered the increase.  Most people weren't, and the class of '06 is shaping up to be the leanest graduation in the last 70 years.  Only the depression caused lower attendance (and it's Oklahoma, so you know just how bad that must've been).  Strangely, however, the higher price must have attracted a different income bracket, as the number of incoming freshmen has increased dramatically every year.

The system is headed for a crash, but it won't happen for awhile.  We aren't to the red light and buzzer stage just yet, but anybody with a little math skill can figure out what's coming in 5-10 years.  The cost will soon exceed what can be paid back in a reasonable time (say 10 to 15 years) at a decent rate ($500-800/mo.).  The state schools are trying to stay reasonable (if you shop around, some of them are just dirt cheap), so they won't have a problem for quite some time, but the private schools will take it in the neck fairly soon.

To answer your question, Rabbi, you get your BA, and then you have enough brains to know that you need to be getting into your chosen field on the double.  I started my career, in the IT field, after two years at an el-cheapo community college getting a pile of certifications.  $450 a semester ain't bad for MCSE and CCNA.  Then I got a job doing exactly what I trained for right on campus.  A degree, certification, three years in a large environment, and the high praises of the entire department won't get me $250k, but I'm in better shape than anybody I know at school.  Even if the job market in my field stays a little lean, which it isn't at all if you're willing to relocate just a bit, I'm still ahead of the curve (by a long shot), and I made sure to diversify my job experience a little bit.  A little planning, and busting my butt to be the best employee they can imagine has already gotten me some surprisingly good job offers, and I still have a year to go.  The head of my department has already offered to keep me on full-time when I graduate.  If that doesn't work, there is always the army!  Even if it does work, it's a serious consideration.  They're already making offers that will make my student loans just go away.  High grades, lots of IT experience (for my age), a large number of varied language classes (I'll graduate with 30 hours in Spanish, German, Japanese, Hebrew, and Greek), and a good additude has made me VERY attractive to them.  Teach yourself Farsi from a tape, be able to speak it reasonably well, and DoD just goes bonkers over you.

It can be done, and the plan is really simple.  It's just a matter of getting in there and doing it, which is a skill that most people don't have.  If tuition were cheap and money grew on trees, then every idiot could pull it off.  I see the economic difficulties inherent in education to be an opportunity to prove that I'm better at it than the next guy.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 11:12:25 AM »
To answer your question, Rabbi, you get your BA, and then you have enough brains to know that you need to be getting into your chosen field on the double.
"A wise man is content to learn from the mistakes of others."  Attributed to Bismark.

Yes, you are right.  As the product of about 9 years of higher education I can attest to its worthlessness.  I compare my experience with that of my plumber, a guy about 38 years old who never went to college.  He has his own business, is financially stable, good family etc.  Not that I am complaining about my situation, which is very good.  But he accomplished as much in less time.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 11:33:07 AM »
I can attest to its worthlessness
I disagree rather strongly.  University education is not worthless in the economic sense, just overvalued.  In other ways, it is extremely valuable.  When I was a kid, my father used to say that "a man who speaks two languages is worth two men."  I don't know just where he got it, but it stuck in my head somewhere, and has informed all of my educational choices.  I'm working as hard as I can on numbers six and seven.  (By the way, if anybody is thinking of learning other languages, be a 7th grade english teacher grammar nazi, sorry Godwin, first.  99% of the difficulty stems from not speaking English properly.  The rest is just memorization)  Education does make you a better person if you're willing to allow it to do so.  I have learned a great deal both in the classroom and elsewhere during my college experience, and I am a better person for it.

As for your plumber, he is very highly educated.  He just didn't go to a university for it.  Nobody wants to hire the cherry plumber right out of tech school, but a master plumber with many years of experience is very highly valued.  It's education, he just got it by doing rather than by listening (although I don't doubt that he did his share of classroom work in trade school).  It's all what you make of it, but, as I said before, most people don't have the will to make anything of themselves.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 11:34:20 AM »
Tuition at my school was frozen to it's cost when you entered the school, so I didn't feel the effects of the tuition increases as much as students at other schools did. I also did a co-op program that paid me rather well, and all of those earnings went to tuition. Combine that with my personal savings and what help my parents could offer, and some scholarhsips and I didn't really come out in too bad of shape on the loans. My plan was all along to pay them off as agressively as possible, and I stuck with that. I really feel sorry for friends of mine who are graduating with student loans greater than a mortgage on a nice starter house. That's a huge hole to be starting off in.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 01:01:47 PM »
Congratulations, cfabe.  That must be a really good feeling.  I've been paying mine off for years and it's still greater than a mortgage on a starter house.
For entertainment purposes only.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 04:13:24 PM »
When I started at my current school, tuition was $5800 a semester for full-time enrollment (12-17 hours).  Then it was $6900, then $7800, this year it's $8300.
My first semester's tuition at the University of Michigan in 1966 set me back $147. Times done changed, I guess.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 05:47:04 PM »
One of the reasons we moved to our new location in Podunk, Alobammo is because they actually have a program that pays 100% of tuition to the local Comm Coll for 2 years in return for having graduated with a 3.2 or higher average at the local high school.  With 3 kids, we figure it will save us roughly $50-60k in college costs.  Each will either have an Associate's upon completion or (our hope) 2 years' worth of prerequisites toward a transfer to a 4-year school.

Conversely, my wife and I are STILL paying on what we affectionately call The Student Loans that Will Not Die.  My degree is in Journalism, and I do IT support for a living.  I WILL admit that I have gotten the last THREE jobs I've had for one reason: because I am BILINGUAL!!!!!!!  Learn more LANGUAGES!

Mayberry's been veddy veddy good to me.

Edited to add:
You'd be amazed at how many of the local people leave this FREE college opportunity knocking at the front door, unanswered.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 10:33:36 AM »
FeloniousFig:

That's one of the best programs I've ever heard of.  In my last year of college, I wrote a paper for an argumentative writing class on how poorly designed the American high school system is, and how it fails to prepare students for a typical four-year program.  One of the best alternatives was presented by Leonard Botstein, president of Bard College.  He says that high school should be shortened to three years, and that in the fourth year, students should get internships, go to vocational training, or attend community college.

I strongly believe that a year or two at a community college can provide students with the best preperation for a four year degree, and there is a lot of research out there to support that idea.  (Along with my own observations as a recent college graduate.)

Community colleges have a big stigma in certain circles, but don't let anyone convince you that you've come up with a bad plan.  Your children are likely going to be a lot better off than students who were shipped right off to a four year program.

(If you want, you can read my paper and check out the works cited page for more information.)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 12:04:41 PM »
I just got this month's student loan bill.  I have a mere 4k left to pay.  It'll be gone this time next year if not sooner. Smiley

Even better, at roughly the same time, the 4Runner will be paid off.  Overnight, I'll have an extra $630 in my pocket each month.  No special purchases though, that's going into savings...

Chris

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 08:09:06 PM »
I already consolidated my loans at 4.4% when rates were low.  I've been thinking of aggressively paying my student loans down, but I've delayed doing so since I figure it isn't that hard to earn at least 4.4% from good investing.  Does anybody think similarly?

There's certainly a value to being debt-free.  I'll have to consider things again once the car is paid off in a few months.