Author Topic: Secondhand Stores Escape Lead Law  (Read 2177 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Secondhand Stores Escape Lead Law
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:35:41 AM »
A federal ruling means that thrift stores and consignment shops will not be forced to test children's products for lead.

It was announced on Friday that the new law that requires lead testing will not apply to the secondhand market.

Officials said it would have been a nightmare to test every toy drum and every other donated children's product for lead.

While estimates vary, critics of the new lead law said testing could cost as much as hundreds of dollars per item, affecting their ability to re-sell used products.

But late last week, thrift and consignment stores learned they will not be required to test.

"It's a really big relief," said Crystal Hardesty, of Goodwill in Greenville. "It was a big concern for us because it really was going to affect our business and what we're able to do in the community. So we're really happy to have these regulations clarified and what our responsibilities are clarified."

However, people who make children's toys or clothing -- even if it's a small operation in their basement -- will be required to prove to the government that their products do not contain lead before they can sell them.

Somebody started thinking and was smart enough to fix this problem.  Good!  We donate regularly to two differrent shops.  Would have hated to see them shut down.  The local humane society leans heavily on sales from two different resale shops.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: Secondhand Stores Escape Lead Law
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »
However, people who make children's toys or clothing -- even if it's a small operation in their basement -- will be required to prove to the government that their products do not contain lead before they can sell them.

My wife and I run a performing arts studio. She teaches bellydance, and makes the costumes for people to buy. It is very difficult to find well made clothing for bellydance online. Lots of cheap crap out there. A significant amount of our income is from clothing. We have three dancers under 12 who have trained with he for years, and perform regularly. Because of this new law, we can no longer provide them with costumes. Where will they go? Ebay. Where they will buy cheap, foreign made costumes that look trashy and fall apart after two shows. These kids take great pride in their skill and their performances.

So, another blow is dealt to a small business, like many others. One has to wonder if that wasn't the original intent of the law, after all? To reduce the number of small businesses making products?
Hi.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »
So, another blow is dealt to a small business, like many others. One has to wonder if that wasn't the original intent of the law, after all? To reduce the number of small businesses making products?

Big business always loves more regulations, because it limits competition from small business that cannot afford to spread the cost over millions of items.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

John G

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
Ouch.  This looks awful for the little guy, like me. 

I carve. My girlfriend knits.  I've sold a couple of carvings, and am currently building up inventory to open a shop on Etsy.  I wonder. how will this affect craft fairs, or websites like Etsy?    :O
I like spiedies and old guns

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Ouch.  This looks awful for the little guy, like me. 

I carve. My girlfriend knits.  I've sold a couple of carvings, and am currently building up inventory to open a shop on Etsy.  I wonder. how will this affect craft fairs, or websites like Etsy?    :O

Get ready for a SWAT raid, you evil people  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 06:07:06 PM »
Thank goodness.  If all the thrift stores folded up, I don't think my wife could handle it.  Of course, we wouldn't have half as much bric-a-brac cluttering up the house.   :rolleyes:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »
Easy solution just sell all you products with a warning not to be given to a minor.
If you make clothing just list the dimensions for the items not age or kid sizes. (fits adult midgets)
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »
Easy solution just sell all you products with a warning not to be given to a minor.
If you make clothing just list the dimensions for the items not age or kid sizes. (fits adult midgets)

About what I was thinking.  The regulations 'will require all products intended for use by children under the age of 12'. 

Actually, I'd leave the warning out.  Just market them by dimensions.

Though I would be careful about where you source the sequins, if any.