Author Topic: Look what I picked up at a gun show, :D  (Read 11238 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Look what I picked up at a gun show, :D
« on: October 05, 2008, 04:25:58 AM »

Recently got back from the largest gun show in Kansas, Chisholm Trail gun show.

Picked this up

=D Ain't she a beauty. Folding stock Yugo, notice the flip up grenade sight that seems to be on all Yugo's. Now to just find a grenade/flare launcher... Paid $585 with tax. I've heard that the Yugo's are some of the best AKs you can buy. Came with the sling, Bulgarian bayonet, 1 20 round mag, and 2 box's of Wolf ammo. Brand new. Dealer said that he only put about 65 rounds through it to make sure it was working fine and to sight it in at 100 yards. I later picked up a 30 round Pro Mag, 10 rounds of tracer, and 10 rounds of AP ammo.   :angel:

Specialty ammo is expensive. Is it just me or is the Wolf ammo going down in price? I remember always seeing the 20 round boxes going for $5 but at the show it seemed like all the tables that had them where selling them for $4 or $4..25. Also I noticed that it seems like all AKs are going up in price. I remember when you could find the WASR-10's for around $300. Now it seems your lucky if you find one for $400  :O

I went to the show planning on either getting a Springfield XD in .45 or an AK. And I was looking for a folding AK preferably a polymer one, but that part didn't matter as I could always buy a polymer set later on. And when I saw that one and the price I was like sweeeet, and the price seemed pretty good because the Yugo's are usually pretty expensive. There was another table where a guy was selling some XDs for $470 and $515, depending on size, so it was a tough decision on what to get but I went for the AK because I figured I'd rather have a rifle for now. Plus I figure that if Obama becomes president, which seems to be a likely chance, there will be a price jump in guns, especially "assault rifles", and there is also a high chance that we will see some kind of anti-2A bill, which will more than likely target "assault rifles". So I'm pretty happy, can't wait to shoot it. =D

What are your thoughts on it? Any suggestions on a good polymer front grip and mags?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Look what I picked up at a gun show, :D
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:26:53 AM »
I'm very jealous, that's my thought.  :mad:

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 03:59:41 PM »
I'm jealous as hell. Want one, don't want to bother with the licensing here :mad:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »
Ditch the ProMag. Buy some milsurp Bulgarian waffle mags (they have a 10 in a circle on them) and some military steel mags...you can get them in 20rd, 30rd, and 40rd capacities.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
Specialty ammo is expensive. Is it just me or is the Wolf ammo going down in price? I remember always seeing the 20 round boxes going for $5 but at the show it seemed like all the tables that had them where selling them for $4 or $4..25. Also I noticed that it seems like all AKs are going up in price. I remember when you could find the WASR-10's for around $300. Now it seems your lucky if you find one for $400  shocked

$5.50/20 for 7.62x39 at the gun show last weekend.   Gun monger I cruse by every once in a while has it at over $8/box  :O :O.   Wood stock WASRs were $400 something. 

What are your thoughts on it?

How well does the underfolding stock work.  I don't see how you'd get anything like a cheek weld.

Any suggestions on a good polymer front grip and mags?

I got a Tapco "Galil style" on mine, that I don't care much for.    And don't forget the 922 parts count dance.

Ditch the ProMag.

Yup.  Get a bunch of milsurp magazines.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:22:07 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 08:03:33 PM »
Suggestions? ProMags are only good for throwing downrange in disgust.

My favorite is Bulgarian waffles. You could use them for wheel chocks, and they'd still work perfectly. Second are preban Norinco flatbacks, but they're hard to find.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:35:34 PM by Manedwolf »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:16:13 PM »
Waffle mags are only worth it if they have the upper metal inserts.  Be very wary of the recent batch of ones out there that don't.

(ie, the plastic mag body is injection molded around a steel upper form, complete with feed lips and mag latch points)

Underfolders are cool, but I've found over the years that they hurt to shoot.

I sold my last Norinco underfolder, and went with a Romanian SAR-1 with wire sidefolder.  Much less pain, but quite solid and still a compact package. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 10:38:57 PM »
Oh, yeah, and suggestions for polymer handguards...

FAB Design from Israel. VERY solid material, the sort polymer handguns are made from.

This is one on my MAK-90.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 10:53:03 PM »
Ick.

Polymer w/ tacticool rails.

Not on my AK.   =|

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:57:35 PM »
Only top and bottom, for a forward grip/light if it needs it, and an EOtech on top. That's because it's the SHTF carry folder (ACE folder) it's got the best trigger of my AKs. It's just a MAK, not like it's a collector model. I've got the Hunter for all-wood. ;)

Doesn't have one of those metal foregrips with enough rails on it for a Chicago train yard...and if I ever found an early-type milled receiver, I'd do the all wood "avtomat Kalashikova 1947" look, yes.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:00:01 PM by Manedwolf »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 11:01:35 PM »
FAB Design from Israel

Google no comprende "FAB Design Israel".  Where can these be had?
MAK-90

Bud of mine's tempting me to buy his MAK-90.  What do they run, these days?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:03:24 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 11:06:18 PM »
NIB MAKs have gone up quite a bit in price since the ban. I got one cheap ($300) because the estate owner the shop bought it from had lost the key to its trigger guard lock, and I do a lot of business with the dealer. I have no idea, but they're not cheap. They have a really nice trigger and the fit and finish are good, much nicer than the Romanians, and the finish is a sleek, smooth blue. FAR nicer than the horrible finish wobbly WASRs. I like it. It's a very high-quality AK, closer to the Arsenals than the WASRs for sure.

Don't buy a used one sight unseen, though, because I've seen a lot that were very badly treated. They're going to be at least 14 years old, so you want one that's either unfired or treated well.

Also be aware of the "three hole MAK"...there were very few imported and they were recalled by dealers, but google for the pictures of what the reciever looks like, as BATFE still considers it a machine gun.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:08:30 PM by Manedwolf »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »
About the only polymer handguards I've ever taken a liking to are the ones that came on my SLR-95, or the K-Var duplicates thereof.

Why?

Because they were comfortable, and had the proper metal heat shields in them. 

I've hefted more than a few railed handguards, and those things have teeth.  I've got plenty of olive and black nomex gloves from my former career, but it doesn't mean I want to wear them every range day to avoid getting my mitts torn up by a bazillion weaver slots where a forend used to be.   =|

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 11:10:29 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98 link=topic=15199.msg281102#msg281102

I've hefted more than a few railed handguards, and those things have teeth.  I've got plenty of olive and black nomex gloves from my former career, but it doesn't mean I want to wear them every range day to avoid getting my mitts torn up by a bazillion weaver slots where a forend used to be.   =|

Cheese grater. Metal cheese grater. COLD metal cheese grater.

The last thing I'd want in a warding-off-looters situation in a New England winter (why I have the AK for that, I know it'll work in cold!) is an ice-cold sharp metal grid digging into my hand.

I have no idea why the covered-with rails handguards are so popular. They're uncomfortable even to pick up in a store!

I've even scratched my fingers putting a rail on top of a rifle, I can't imagine hanging onto a whole bunch of them with recoil...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:13:45 PM by Manedwolf »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:41:57 PM »
Ah dude sweet. Been wanting a Yugo for awhile now- the Romanian ones don't do anything for me. That being said, I passed up a SAR-1 at a pawn shop about 5 years ago that I wished I would have bought.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 11:46:05 PM »
Also, here's the FAB handguard set, it's $62. It's nothing like the cheesy plastic TAPCO stuff, it's pretty damned rugged.

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=531

Keep in mind, though, that for 922(r), it is NOT US-made, it's two foreign parts, so you'll need to play the parts game with additional US-made parts.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 12:43:59 AM »
Quote from: Gewehr98 link=topic=15199.msg281102#msg281102

The last thing I'd want in a warding-off-looters situation in a New England winter (why I have the AK for that, I know it'll work in cold!) is an ice-cold sharp metal grid digging into my hand.

I have no idea why the covered-with rails handguards are so popular. They're uncomfortable even to pick up in a store!

I've even scratched my fingers putting a rail on top of a rifle, I can't imagine hanging onto a whole bunch of them with recoil...

Free Product idea:

"Tactical rail covering-bolts on to your standard xyz size forearm rail to provide an even, stippled no-slip grip surface!"
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 12:54:01 AM »
Nice buy.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 12:59:06 AM »
Ditch the ProMag. Buy some milsurp Bulgarian waffle mags (they have a 10 in a circle on them) and some military steel mags...you can get them in 20rd, 30rd, and 40rd capacities.

Waffle mags are only worth it if they have the upper metal inserts.  Be very wary of the recent batch of ones out there that don't.

Thanks for the advice, :) I'm glad that I only bought one now.

$5.50/20 for 7.62x39 at the gun show last weekend.   Gun monger I cruse by every once in a while has it at over $8/box   :O  :O   Wood stock WASRs were $400 something. 

Dang,  :O

How well does the underfolding stock work.  I don't see how you'd get anything like a cheek weld.

I've heard that wrapping some para-chord around it works pretty well.

And don't forget the 922 parts count dance.

I still have to worry about that? I thought that that was only when building a gun. Stupid laws!

Oh, yeah, and suggestions for polymer handguards...

FAB Design from Israel. VERY solid material, the sort polymer handguns are made from.

This is one on my MAK-90.

Sexy.

Ick.

Polymer w/ tacticool rails.

Not on my AK.    :|

LOL, I remember seeing a picture of Mr. Kalashnikov holding and AK with a stern look on his face and underneath  it say something like, Keep that crap off my AK,  :lol:

Can't you get coverings on the rails?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 01:16:29 AM »

Can't you get coverings on the rails?

I can also dig a big hole in the yard and buy boards to put over it so I don't fall in. Why create a problem that you need to buy something else to solve?

I'm fine with just enough rail for a sight. It's for fun and in case of a need for defense. I'm not clearing houses with the thing.

Also, yes, if you change ANY parts, you need to be in compliance with 922(r). Study that before you make any changes, or you'd be breaking rather serious laws. Many people drop in a new US-manufactured trigger group and gas piston to increase parts count if they want to start fooling with the furniture. You will notice that the pistol grip on mine there says "USA" quite prominently, as does the stock, and the requisite number of other parts, I forget which I'd done on that one...but they're in there. ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:22:23 AM by Manedwolf »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 01:34:20 AM »
I'm fine with just enough rail for a sight. It's for fun and in case of a need for defense. I'm not clearing houses with the thing.

It looks like it has a top and bottom rail so it looks like it is just enough for what is needed, something like a flashlight/laser and maybe a some type of red dot sight, can you even have those that far forward?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 01:57:57 AM »
Sweet.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 02:19:50 AM »
But weapons like that are only designed for killing. 

Somewhere, a baby seal is weeping...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 06:43:54 AM »
All I got to say is, STUPID CONNECTICUT!!  :mad:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06:23 AM »
But weapons like that are only designed for killing. 

Somewhere, a baby seal is weeping...

Clearly we need to shoot it to put it out of its misery.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner