Author Topic: Look what I picked up at a gun show, :D  (Read 11237 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Look what I picked up at a gun show, :D
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »
What're Saiga's going for these days? Are they more or less in unaltered condition?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »
What're Saiga's going for these days? Are they more or less in unaltered condition?

Still around $300 or less for the 5.56 and original caliber, high price for the 12 due to an import bottleneck that will hopefully soon be resolved.

I got a Saiga .308 for $285 a few months ago, and I think they made a price mistake. That's a nice gun. AK reliability, .308 power.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 11:13:06 PM »
$5.50/20 for 7.62x39 at the gun show last weekend.   Gun monger I cruse by every once in a while has it at over $8/box   shocked  shocked   Wood stock WASRs were $400 something.
Dang,  shocked

Yeah, and that particular show was quite noticeably busier than I've seen it in a while.

Right now, all I really need is a .38 mold and sizer, (more) powder, primers and castable lead, and lots more 7.62x39.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:58:35 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 01:43:10 AM »
Right now, all I really need is a .38 mold and sizer, powder, primers and castable lead, and lots more 7.62x39.

I have thought about getting into reloading. Could be fun, :)

This site, http://www.ak-103.com/home.html does conversions from the Saiga's. Supposed to be really good stuff. The site doesn't list prices but I have heard that they are a little pricey.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 02:09:17 AM »
Is it possible to set up an AK to have a ghost ring rear sight mounted somewhere on the back of the receiver?  Craptastic notch sights mounted over the barrel have always been a deal-killer for me.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 02:12:32 AM »
Is it possible to set up an AK to have a ghost ring rear sight mounted somewhere on the back of the receiver?  Craptastic notch sights mounted over the barrel have always been a deal-killer for me.

I've seen ghost rings mounted in place of the notches. Otherwise it's mu understanding the dust cover is too flimsy to put a rear sight on.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 02:20:44 AM »
But weapons like that are only designed for killing. 

Somewhere, a baby seal is weeping...

Clearly we need to shoot it to put it out of its misery.
:rolleyes:
Don't you know that you should club baby seals? (You can club it with a rifle though if you like :laugh:.)
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 02:34:24 AM »

No, the dust cover moves too much and it won't hold anything even close to zero.

You're far better off attaching a lowprofile sight or a rail to the place where AKs are supposed to attach sights...the side lock rail. Then you can put a sight on it just like any AR, and the sight will properly hold zero when put on and off.

Just get a good mount, not any of the junk by UTG or NCstar made in China for airsoft toys, sold for real guns. Russian American Armory, Saiga's importer, makes some sturdy ones, and there's others from former Baltic nations.

I also have a Russian-made PK-A red dot sight for one of mine, a metal-encased sort that would likely survive a direct nuclear strike.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:38:28 AM by Manedwolf »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 02:43:52 AM »

You're far better off attaching a lowprofile sight or a rail to the place where AKs are supposed to attach sights...the side lock rail.

Can you buy an aftermarket side lock rail for the ones that don't already have one attached?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 02:45:34 AM »

You're far better off attaching a lowprofile sight or a rail to the place where AKs are supposed to attach sights...the side lock rail.

Can you buy an aftermarket side lock rail for the ones that don't already have one attached?

You mean no rail at all on the side of the gun, just a flat side? Yes. The rivet holes should be there, and many places sell the rails to rivet to it.

Other than the MAK, I do not know of any that don't come with them, though. All Saigas have the rail. A mount with either typically 1" rings or a picatinny rail will be around $50-65 for one of decent quality. That, or integrated AK powered sights, which can be anywhere from $100-$300 depending on generation.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:53:58 AM by Manedwolf »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 02:56:58 AM »
You mean no rail at all on the side of the gun, just side? Yes. The rivet holes should be there, and many places sell the rails to rivet to it.

Sweet. Any that you would recommend?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:55 AM »

Tech Sights is working on one like you want.  "Coming Soon!"

Otherwise, the Mojo peep is well spoken of.

Don't you know that you should club baby seals? (You can club it with a rifle though if you like laugh.)

A wood stock WASR wouldn't be quite as good as a Mosin for clubbing, but it will do.   Mosin's are, like, made for beating things with.  =D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:07:19 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 03:25:19 PM »

Tech Sights is working on one like you want.  "Coming Soon!"

Otherwise, the Mojo peep is well spoken of.

Don't you know that you should club baby seals? (You can club it with a rifle though if you like laugh.)

A wood stock WASR wouldn't be quite as good as a Mosin for clubbing, but it will do.   Mosin's are, like, made for beating things with.  =D
Or you could do a bayonet charge on it :cool:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

neviander

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 11:34:10 PM »
Man, that bayonet looks like it could double as a shovel!   =D
"be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 12:21:17 PM »
Got some boxes of Golden Tiger ammo, and on it it says FMJBT. I know FMJ stands for Full Metal Jacket, but what does the BT mean?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
BT = Boat Tail
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 12:34:37 PM »
Boat Tail? What does that mean?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »
Look at the base of all these bullets.  They are boat-tails, with a pronounced taper at the bullet's bottom for decreased drag, compared to a flat-base bullet:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 12:53:26 PM »
Oh. So does that make them better then? Do they shoot straighter?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:22 PM »
Oh. So does that make them better then? Do they shoot straighter?

Lower drag coefficient.

At LONG range, you can tell the difference in trajectory.  Not so much at shorter ranges.  Big in competitive target shooting.

They can be problematic in a hunting round, due to the increased likelihood of jacket/core separation.

Like anything else in life, "better" is a compromise and depends on what you want "better" and what you are willing to give up for that "better" attribute.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
Ok, that's a new one on me.  Boat-tail hunting bullets have jacket-core separation problems?

How so?

The 2nd bullet from the left is a Nosler Ballistic Tip.  It's a hunting bullet. 

Sierra GameKings have boat-tails, too, as do many other premium hunting bullets.

They hold up quite nicely when used to drop game. What am I missing?

There a disadvantages to boat-tails, namely a higher cost of manufacture, and a slight chance of off-axis muzzle departure as the bullet leaves the less-than-perfect crown.  The benchrest crowd uses flat-base bullets almost exclusively for their 200 meter matches, but they're not worried about maintaining velocity on bullets going further than that particular range...

A cheaply-constructed bullet may indeed shed its jacket, but that's not the fault of the boat-tail design. 

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
At LONG range, you can tell the difference in trajectory.  Not so much at shorter ranges.  Big in competitive target shooting.

So basically you won't be able to really see a difference when it is coming out of an AK? lol

Pb

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Krebs sells a rail with rear-mounted ar-15 sights.  Check it out.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »
Not really.  The best my AKs do, and that's a milled Bulgarian SLR-95 w/my handloads, is 2MOA.  A flat-based bullet of good construction will shoot just as well in that particular delivery system.

There may be a few fps difference in velocity at an AK's useful range with the cleaner bullet, but it really isn't worth the extra cost, IMHO - and I handload ALL of my ammo, including the 7.62x39 that feeds three AK and two SKS variants.

But there are boat-tail .311" bullets out there that will work in the 7.62x39 cartridge.  The manufacturers know the 7.62x39 has some great accuracy potential when chambered in other platforms like the Thompson/Contender, Interarms Mini-Mauser, the Ruger Model 77, the CZ-527, etc.

The 7.62x39 is the parent cartridge of the .220 Russian, which beget the current 6mm PPC family of benchrest cartridges.  I've shot a scoped Thompson/Contender chambered for the 7.62x39, and it was used to knock over steel silhouettes at 100 yards - when they had been turned edgewise to the shooter from another's previous attempt to knock them over.   :O

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »
Thanks. Handloading is something that I have been interested in looking into doing. Any useful links on it for someone who has never done it?

Krebs sells a rail with rear-mounted ar-15 sights.  Check it out.

I remember hearing about them. Will check them out.