Author Topic: Breaking News: Crunchberries Not Real Fruit  (Read 11929 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Breaking News: Crunchberries Not Real Fruit
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:30:23 AM »
No story setup required:

------------------------
http://www.loweringthebar.net/2009/06/reasonable-consumer-would-know-crunchberries-are-not-real-judge-rules.html

Reasonable Consumer Would Know "Crunchberries" Are Not Real, Judge Rules

There are days every now and then when my actual legal work directly intersects with my blog work.  This is one of those days.

On May 21, a judge of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California dismissed a complaint filed by a woman who said she had purchased "Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries" because she believed "crunchberries" were real fruit.  The plaintiff, Janine Sugawara, alleged that she had only recently learned to her dismay that said "berries" were in fact simply brightly-colored cereal balls, and that although the product did contain some strawberry fruit concentrate, it was not otherwise redeemed by fruit.  She sued, on behalf of herself and all similarly situated consumers who also apparently believed that there are fields somewhere in our land thronged by crunchberry bushes.

Cap'n According to the complaint, Sugawara and other consumers were misled not only by the use of the word "berries" in the name, but also by the front of the box, which features the product's namesake, Cap'n Crunch, aggressively "thrusting a spoonful of 'Crunchberries' at the prospective buyer."  Plaintiff claimed that this message was reinforced by other marketing representing the product as a "combination of Crunch biscuits and colorful red, purple, teal and green berries."  Yet in actuality, the product contained "no berries of any kind."  Plaintiff brought claims for fraud, breach of warranty, and our notorious and ever-popular California Unfair Competition Law and Consumer Legal Remedies Act.

Under the UCL, courts have held that a plaintiff must show that a representation was "likely to deceive a reasonable consumer."  [As a disclaimer, I should tell you that my firm represents defendants in UCL cases (among others).]  Actual fraud claims, and warranty claims, are harder to prove, so if Sugawara didn't win on the UCL claims, she would be leaving without even any lovely parting gifts.  And she did not:

In this case . . . while the challenged packaging contains the word "berries" it does so only in conjunction with the descriptive term "crunch." This Court is not aware of, nor has Plaintiff alleged the existence of, any actual fruit referred to as a "crunchberry." Furthermore, the "Crunchberries" depicted on the [box] are round, crunchy, brightly-colored cereal balls, and the [box] clearly states both that the Product contains "sweetened corn & oat cereal" and that the cereal is "enlarged to show texture." Thus, a reasonable consumer would not be deceived into believing that the Product in the instant case contained a fruit that does not exist. . . . So far as this Court has been made aware, there is no such fruit growing in the wild or occurring naturally in any part of the world.

The court, Judge Morrison England, Jr., also pointed out that the plaintiff acknowledged in her opposition to the motion to dismiss that "[c]lose inspection [of the box] reveals that Crunchberries . . . are not really berries."  Plaintiff did not explain why she could not reasonably have figured this out at any point during the four years she alleged she bought Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries in reliance on defendant's fraud.

Finally, the court held that while a first-time loser on a motion to dismiss would typically get a chance to amend the complaint, this one wouldn't:

In this case, . . .  it is simply impossible for Plaintiff to file an amended complaint stating a claim based upon these facts. The survival of the instant claim would require this Court to ignore all concepts of personal responsibility and common sense.  The Court has no intention of allowing that to happen.

Case dismissed.

Judge England also noted another federal court had "previously rejected substantially similar claims directed against the packaging of Fruit Loops [sic] cereal, and brought by these same Plaintiff attorneys."  He found that their attack on "Crunchberries" should fare no better than their prior claims that "Froot Loops" did not contain real froot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Breaking News: Crunchberries Not Real Fruit
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:35:40 AM »
 :laugh:

So, the crunchberries are not real crunchberries? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

crt360

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:32:38 AM »
:D

I hope Sugawara's attorney told her she didn't have a chance in hell of winning and charged her plenty to take the case.

The judge should have asked the plaintiff if she had ever tried dingleberries.
For entertainment purposes only.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:08:29 AM »
The court should have given her a loud razzberry.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Reifen

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:34:27 AM »
The fact that these people might breed scares me...

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:35:15 AM »
What this says about some people is berry disappointing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 07:26:06 AM »
The schnozleberries taste like schnozleberries!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 07:30:30 AM »
She'll just have to berry the hatchet on this one.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 08:30:11 AM »
Maybe we should all get together and send here a nice bag of dingle berries.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 08:30:27 AM »
Berry punny!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 08:45:32 AM »
In this case, . . .  it is simply impossible for Plaintiff to file an amended complaint stating a claim based upon these facts. The survival of the instant claim would require this Court to ignore all concepts of personal responsibility and common sense.  The Court has no intention of allowing that to happen.

I find it hard to believe that any court in this land would hold the concepts of personal responsibility and common sense to have ANY legal bearing.

Are you sure this isn't the Onion?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 09:05:57 AM »
:D

I hope Sugawara's attorney told her she didn't have a chance in hell of winning and charged her plenty to take the case.

The judge should have asked the plaintiff if she had ever tried dingleberries.

The attorneys are to blame!  Read the last paragraph; they tried this before with Fruit Loops. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
Crap, and I thought I was getting 6 servings of fruit per day  :mad:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 10:20:06 AM »
Next you are going to tell me that Lucky Charms are not real charms! 

What does this say about Fruity Pebbles? 

I guess their next attempt is to sue the maker of Honeycombs.  :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »
We at least still have Frankenberries. :laugh:

Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 11:11:17 AM »
I find it hard to believe that any court in this land would hold the concepts of personal responsibility and common sense to have ANY legal bearing.

Are you sure this isn't the Onion?

=D =D =D

You have officially won the intenet. Here's your prize.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »
Cap'n According to the complaint, Sugawara and other consumers were misled not only by the use of the word "berries" in the name, but also by the front of the box, which features the product's namesake, Cap'n Crunch, aggressively "thrusting a spoonful of 'Crunchberries' at the prospective buyer."  Plaintiff claimed that this message was reinforced by other marketing representing the product as a "combination of Crunch biscuits and colorful red, purple, teal and green berries."  Yet in actuality, the product contained "no berries of any kind." 

Please tell me that she was running some type of legal scam, maybe hoping for a quick out of court settlement just so she'd go away.

People just cannot be that STUPID!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »
People just cannot be that STUPID!
Au contrare...

>snip<  a judge of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California  >snip<

Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »
california and fistful, it's always one or the other...  :laugh:

I remember my kid brother used to pick all the crunchberries out and have bowls of just crunchberries. Then they came out with just crunchberries in a box. He was in heaven.  =D

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »
Wow.

Wonder what it will do to her mind when she finds out that Barney really isn't a purple dinosaur...
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 05:01:36 PM »
The schnozleberries taste like schnozleberries!

About those schnozleberries, I've got some bad news for you...
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »
I guess their next attempt is to sue the maker of Honeycombs.  :)

No, Honeycombs are real, true honey combs.  I've been combing with them for years, and my hair is always sweet and well-coiffed. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 06:11:18 PM »
So....will this affect my upcoming lawsuit about Grape Nuts?....   =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »
Grapes have nuts? Who knew?  =D

erictank

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 11:51:20 PM »
Grapes have nuts? Who knew?  =D

And you EAT them!  Rocky Mountain grape-oysters?  Ewww...

They taste nothing like grapes, though.  False advertising!  I'll SUE!!!!!  :mad::lol: