Author Topic: Climbing on steep roofs!  (Read 11107 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Climbing on steep roofs!
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »
Climbing on steep roofs probably makes the top 10 "Things I hate to do, but have to suck it up and do anyways" list.

What's on your list?  =)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Climbing on steep roofs!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:03:17 AM »
climbing on wet steep metal roofs   and anything with drywall
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:19:54 AM »
I hate heights (Yes, I know, many think that's weird, because I am a pilot). Outside of an aircraft, I'm terrified of heights.

Unfortunately, we also have an...interesting roof. Think wide, long, somewhat steep, ski slope on one side and very steep and shorter on the other side.

The transition from the ladder to roof and back freaks me out, walking on it freaks me out, looking over the edge really freaks me out. Seeing the tops of the really tall pine trees level when at the peak freaks me out the worst. I am only remotely comfortable when laying spread eagle on it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:32:28 AM »
My roof is metal. The longest drop is 26' to flat hard gravel. It's also frequently windy. Did I mention I hate going up there?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:36:11 AM »
my best time on a metal roof is being 60 feet up and slipping in a blood spill(guess who's) then dropping a box of trim pieces that went down and bombarded the general contractors truck. looked like horrible hail damage. i did manage to catch the gutter and stop so i didn't add a big fat dent to the truck
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:48:22 AM »
I just send my eight-year old up there.  I've got about twenty kids, so they're expendable. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 12:54:49 AM »
Steep roof, no problem.

But if I have to have blood drawn, there's a chance I'll wind up on the floor.  I do hate needles.   =(

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:20:10 AM »
Drywall repair and carpentry.  I hate both.

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 06:58:31 AM »
FYI always get on and off the ladder to your strong side. Right handers should step off to the right and get back on the same side. Vice versa for lefties. Also, you should have 3 rungs above the roof line, no more, no less.

Me? I hate the long steel ladders that are attached to the wall and go straight up. These days, given my age and health, I pass on jobs that have those. I had one that took a 14' ladder just to reach the bottom rung, ~25' climb IIRC. I HATED that ladder but forced myself up it many times. Then they didn't call me for a couple years and when they finally did again I passed, told them I was getting too old to deal with that ladder anymore.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 07:33:37 AM »
Packing and re-packing chromography columnschromography columns.

Explaining for the umpteenth time that Exchange is NOT a file storage system and that it is a very bad idea to have 20 GB mailboxes.

Filling out a weeky time sheet for 40 hours of work, even though I'm on salary and have just put in a 60 hour week.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »
I've spent a little bit of time on roofs...try INSTALLING a roof, putting up the ridgepole. Once stood on a little tiny 2x6, holding a heavy ridgepole above my head (unable to use hands for balance) waiting for my buddy to nail it in place. This particular house was a custom job...if I had fallen it could have been about 50 feet--if I didn't hit anything else on the way down!
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 08:43:28 AM »
Climbing on steep, icy roofs.

My Dish Network job lasted just a few months, thanks to that.

No need to die just so people can have their NFL Network, IMHO.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »
God meant other people to do sheet rock and roofing work.

Me?  I haaaaate replacing the wax ring on a toilet.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:42:34 AM »
I'm sitting here paying bills. I have to put that at the top of my suck list.

You did remind me I need to get up on the roof and fix the drip at one of the sky lights. I don't look forward to that much. That must be why I keep forgetting about it when it's not raining.

And then we come to in-laws. After the fun of the last couple of years they get their own special list.

jim

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
I don't mind roofs or sheetrock, except for taping and mudding.  That I will happily pay somebody else to do.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »
I can bust open my knuckles just looking at an engine.

Filling out a weeky time sheet for 40 hours of work, even though I'm on salary and have just put in a 60 hour week.

I worked for an accounting firm for a few years and absolutely despised keeping track of the entire day in 6-minute increments.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 11:00:55 AM »
I don't mind roofs or sheetrock, except for taping and mudding.  That I will happily pay somebody else to do.

+1. We're currently doing some remodeling in our house. I don't mind plumbing, wiring, tiling, framing, etc., but I hate mudding with a passion.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
+1. We're currently doing some remodeling in our house. I don't mind plumbing, wiring, tiling, framing, etc., but I hate mudding with a passion.

When I mentioned drywall above, I really meant taping and mudding.

Chris

TMM

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »
plumbing work is a PITA and electrical work confuses me and scares me a little bit ( i once did a bit of impromptu arc-welding once while testing a wire with a multitester).

roofs? nah, i think i'll pay someone for that. unless it's a one-story house or shed...

tmm

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »
I worked for an accounting firm for a few years and absolutely despised keeping track of the entire day in 6-minute increments.

Ah yes, how well I remember filling out the timeslips to bill the clients by the tenth of the hour.  I got to be pretty good at it, though. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
Ditto what Avenger29 says.  I was on the roof this past weekend trimming trees that were overhanging the roof.  I am getting a new roof next week so I had to make the roof clear for the roofers.  It was a project I was going to do anyway.  I weigh 250 pounds and my feet keep trying to slide on the shingles.  The pitch is not that bad either but I am 65 years old.  Too old to do roof work.....chris3

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »
God meant other people to do sheet rock and roofing work.

And concrete work. God, I hate concrete with a passion.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
Last time I did work on a steep roof I rigged up a improvised rappelling harness and tied off to a tree on the other side of the roof.  It was no big deal, I would just set the rope to a certain length for the level of roof I was working on.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 02:09:16 PM »
Last time I did work on a steep roof I rigged up a improvised rappelling harness and tied off to a tree on the other side of the roof.  It was no big deal, I would just set the rope to a certain length for the level of roof I was working on.

Smart.

I've also heard that roofing crewmembers often use a piece of foam rubber to sit on so they don't slide.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 02:13:02 PM »
When I did roofing for a summer, I fell off 2 houses.  Both were ~20 foot drops from dew on a cedar shake roof.  First one I hit the ground, second one I landed in a shrub and my stripping shovel landed point down about 1 inch from my head. 

I learned quickly how to stop yourself from sliding.   :laugh:
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford