Author Topic: The Methuselah Manifesto: Witnessing the launch of Immortality, Inc.?[  (Read 13201 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: The Methuselah Manifesto: Witnessing the launch of Immortality, Inc.?[
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:59 PM »
tyme;

Holy cow.

I don't have metrics to back up my assertion.  Unfortunately, technological advancement isn't a quantitative variable we can plot on charts without introducing some subjective opinions.

Maybe
Technology is accelerating at an exponential pace.
...isn't a true statement.  I sure can't prove it is.  Sorry I brought it up.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
I can't speak for all technology, but at the company I work for our technology is growing exponentially.  The board figured this out a few months ago, and now all of our progress benchmarks are plotted logarithmically.  D'oh!

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »
I'm a Kurzweil hater; sorry for taking it out on you.

The "technological growth is exponential" folks, led by Kurzweil, tend to use that to suggest that a timeline of future discoveries is predictable.  That's why I have a cow over it.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

grey54956

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
Extended lifespan isn't necessarily a problem.  Even if aging could be stopped completely, there is still virulent disease, war, and accidental death to eliminate the ageless meatbags.  

Sooner or later, boredom will take its toll on some and they'll figure out dangerous, self-destructive hobbies.  

I don't think that extended lifespans would be a huge problem.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Sooner or later, boredom will take its toll on some and they'll figure out dangerous, self-destructive hobbies.  

This is bad?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 05:03:44 AM »
This is bad?

Isn't this what humans... already do?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 01:02:48 PM »
Isn't this what humans... already do?
Speak for yourself.  I like my life and take care of it.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
Zeus help us if the Gummint gets their mitts on the research processes though.
Look, tiny text!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 01:31:25 PM »

The "technological growth is exponential" folks, led by Kurzweil, tend to use that to suggest that a timeline of future discoveries is predictable.  That's why I have a cow over it.

Well, my take on the potential for a Technological Singularity is that it's called a "Singularity" because after a certain point the timeline of future discoveries is NOT predictable.

I agree it's incredibly difficult to put a metric on technological progress. However, I think it cuts both ways, against those who are certain the Singularity is coming, vs. those who are just as certain it'll never happen.

Another problem is that technological and scientific developments run way, way ahead of practical applications. Much or most of what we have now is really just applications of things developed in the 1980's or even earlier. Now we have prototypes of 3d cell printers, micro-fluidic labs, and DNA sequencers on a chip that hold the potential to do for liquids and chemistry/bio-chemistry that the IC chip did for computing.

Will all of these technologies that are at the same stage of infancy as when computers filled a warehouse and used vacuum tubes pan out? No. But it's also a very fair bet that some of them will.
I promise not to duck.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 01:33:28 PM »
All of this will come crashing down if Obamacare passes.  The bill does not allow for old people.....chris3

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 04:16:36 PM »

tyme:

I am not  Kurzweil hater, more a Kurzweil dismisser.  He doesn't generate the level of emotion requisite for hate in me.

Thank you for pointing out the horse manure in the "we're progressing exponentially" assertion.  I like the metrics-based approach, but a history-based approach does pretty well, too. (Dark Ages, anyone?)

I think the second most common error in prediction is assuming current trends will go off forever at the same rate as today.  The first most common error is getting the current rate incorrect.

Frankly, I always sort of thought K-man and his sort were of the "eschatology for technically inclined atheists" type.  Obviously, some don't quite buy into it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »
The Dark Ages were not actually 'dark', you know.

The term forgets contemporary advances in agriculture, architecture, and a dozen other things.

It was only during the very late Middle Ages that the plagues and famines really kicked in.

Le Goff's work is particularly interesting in terms of debunking the "Dark Ages" notion.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 06:35:05 PM »
All of this will come crashing down if Obamacare passes.  The bill does not allow for old people.....chris3

I think it will get all of the .gov funding that is needed to keep the research going. Unfortunately the only people who will get longevity treatments will be those deemed by government boards to be worthy (faithful members of the party).

Think of hundreds of years of Nancy Pelosis, Chuck Schumers, and Harry Reids. On the upside, Hillary Clinton will probably be passed over.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
The Dark Ages were not actually 'dark', you know.

The term forgets contemporary advances in agriculture, architecture, and a dozen other things.

It was only during the very late Middle Ages that the plagues and famines really kicked in.

Le Goff's work is particularly interesting in terms of debunking the "Dark Ages" notion.

I know, especially since my favorite history prof (Charles R. Bowlus) specialized in "Late Antiquity" and the Carolingians.  I would yank his chain occasionally.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 07:25:52 PM »
I think it will get all of the .gov funding that is needed to keep the research going. Unfortunately the only people who will get longevity treatments will be those deemed by government boards to be worthy (faithful members of the party).

Think of hundreds of years of Nancy Pelosis, Chuck Schumers, and Harry Reids. On the upside, Hillary Clinton will probably be passed over.
Hundreds of years of Nancy and Harry and Hillary would be a self-correcting phenomenon.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »
Theoretically on paper.  Sure, maybe 15b.  Semi-realistically but wildly optimistic?  Far less, say 9 or 10.  Nothing to sneeze at.

I challenge you to back up that assertion with facts. Name a resource you think we have risk of running out that would limit our pop before 15B.
[I mean this as an academic/intellectual challenge, not a personal confrontation.]
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 08:41:02 PM »
Historically, people who bet that we won't have enough resources to go around tend to lose.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »
I challenge you to back up that assertion with facts. Name a resource you think we have risk of running out that would limit our pop before 15B.
[I mean this as an academic/intellectual challenge, not a personal confrontation.]

Come on, let's make it personal.

Live alligator gar at 5 paces.  I'll serve as referee.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »
Come on, let's make it personal.

Live alligator gar at 5 paces.  I'll serve as referee.

See, we're already back to the Dark Ages.  Won't you humans ever learn?   =(   [popcorn]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2009, 10:30:35 PM »
I'm trying to imagine a world where the 8.9 billion Moribunders sit by and permit the 100 million Eternals to enjoy unrestricted lifespans.  Uh, I really don't think so...

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2009, 05:36:52 AM »
>Sooner or later, boredom will take its toll on some and they'll figure out dangerous, self-destructive hobbies.  <

Which will go on for a little while, until Slaanesh comes and eats all our souls...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 09:36:24 AM »
>Sooner or later, boredom will take its toll on some and they'll figure out dangerous, self-destructive hobbies.  <

Which will go on for a little while, until Slaanesh comes and eats all our souls...

I doubt it. That long into the post-Singularity era, they'll probably find our civilization and the Solar System to be comprised of a Dyson Sphere made of Computronium. If they fire weapons, the extra energy input will be welcome. And if they touch it, they will be absorbed, the rare earths and heavy metals which are difficult or impossible to transmute efficiently being especialy valulable.

If the aborption happens "humanely", the servants of Slaanesh may not even realize that they've been consumed. If the computing resources are trivial as opposed to the contribution of their constitutent elements into new computronium, their original patterns will be preserved, and they'll be provided with an artificial reality in which they can conduct battle, conquest, and whatever else they desire endlessly.
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2009, 09:37:33 AM »
So essentially, we'll be Necrons?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 10:22:23 AM »
No... we're more Orks.

WAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2009, 11:08:13 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"