Author Topic: Drawbacks of running on sidewalks and raison d'être of school zones  (Read 9050 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Drawbacks of running on sidewalks and raison d'être of school zones
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
I'm a firm believer that blink lights makes the driver toward you or confuses them.
About 10 years ago I almost hit a stopped state trooper in the left lane of rt 78. I was doing full speed (65-70) It was late (10pm)and dark. I thought he was on the right shoulder just prior so I actually moved to the left lane from the middle. Thank god no one took over that space that I had vacated in the middle lane. I swerved and missed that cruiser by inches. Full speed no breaks.

The lights flashing on/off make it hard to determine size/exact location of vehicle.I theorize that emergency lights at nighttime are too bright (yet they have to be bright enough for daytime use) That plus rubbernecking equals crashes.

I always slow down a good bit when approaching stopped emergency vehicles especially at night.. Why? Because of emergency personnel nearby. Even our reflective clothing is overpowered by the bright strobes and lightbars.

Oh, and DOT determined amber lights are the most attractive to drunks. I forget how the othe colors rank.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!