Author Topic: New Jeep Cherokee  (Read 7614 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
New Jeep Cherokee
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:17:27 PM »
Do not like.

A crossover? Really? The least you could have done Jeep, is let the Cherokee rest in peace and give this thing a new name.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: New Jeep Cherokee
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:05:04 AM »
 [barf]

What is that thing?!?!!?

I guess I will keep my 2008 until it falls apart going down the road some day.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:07:43 AM »
Kill it with fire.

Hideous abomination, defiler of the Cherokee name.  [barf]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 06:15:16 AM »
That grill is pretty damn fugly.

It's getting pretty hard to find <3/4 ton, non unibody SUV's these days.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:16:23 AM »

???

2008? The last Cherokee was made in 2001.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:19:52 AM »
???

2008? The last Cherokee was made in 2001.

They call it that...but it is Grand.  ;) 

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:20:07 AM »
That grill is pretty damn fugly.

It's getting pretty hard to find <3/4 ton, non unibody SUV's these days.

The "real" Cherokee was unibody. Didn't hurt it at all. It was far more off-road capable than the competing baby Blazers and Explorers. I took a stock '88 Cherokee on a trail ride once. I was with a Cherokee club, but at the trailhead the few of us with XJs joined up with several locals who were in built Wranglers. At the end of the ride they were shaking their heads in disbelief that a stock Cherokee had made it through "their" trail.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:28:15 AM »
The "real" Cherokee was unibody. Didn't hurt it at all. It was far more off-road capable than the competing baby Blazers and Explorers. I took a stock '88 Cherokee on a trail ride once. I was with a Cherokee club, but at the trailhead the few of us with XJs joined up with several locals who were in built Wranglers. At the end of the ride they were shaking their heads in disbelief that a stock Cherokee had made it through "their" trail.

learn something new every day.  I thought they had frames.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: New Jeep Cherokee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:43:13 AM »
[barf]

What is that thing?!?!!?

bob
An abomination built off of a dodge dart.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:10:47 AM »
I would imagine that majority of Jeep owners never leave the pavement with their vehicles.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »
Do not like.

A crossover? Really? The least you could have done Jeep, is let the Cherokee rest in peace and give this thing a new name.

I like it.  Jeep purists hate the Patriot too but it sells pretty well and it is all the Jeep I really need.  If this allows Jeep to expand and take a little business from Ford and Subaru I'm all for it.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »
I don't like it. Whatever else it has or doesn't, it lacks ground clearance. My first Cherokee was a '74 Chief with a 360ci 4 barrel and full time 4WD with that old chain drive quadratrac transfer case and a diff lock. It was built like a friggin tank. Had one Cherokee and 2 grand C's since. Gave the last one to our daughter with 186k miles on it and its still running at 238k now on the 4.0 inline 6cyl.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
To once again veer one of my own threads, what's the deal with the low profile tires? I'm seeing them on quite a few 4X4s. A buddy with a new 4Runner has them as well. Are they just being put on the, as Charby alludes to, "4Xs" that don't go offroad? I don't really know anything about them, other than I see them on a lot of street vehicles. I would think they would not be good offroad tires because for one thing, it doesn't seem like you have much leeway if you want/need to lower the air pressure for certain conditions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »

So, it's a normal boring SUV..?

How is that a crossover?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »
To once again veer one of my own threads, what's the deal with the low profile tires? I'm seeing them on quite a few 4X4s. A buddy with a new 4Runner has them as well. Are they just being put on the, as Charby alludes to, "4Xs" that don't go offroad? I don't really know anything about them, other than I see them on a lot of street vehicles. I would think they would not be good offroad tires because for one thing, it doesn't seem like you have much leeway if you want/need to lower the air pressure for certain conditions.

It's all about style, yo.

Which is why we have jacked up pickup trucks and SUVs with very low profile tires on them. No, I don't even pretend to understand it, I just see it all the time and can only reach one conclusion- idiots

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »

How is that a crossover?

It crosses all of the worst characteristics of a car with all of the worst characteristics of an SUV.

Hence, crossover.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 11:30:04 AM »
This is what a cherokee should look like

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
No sir, I don't like it.  I always thought of a Cherokee is a classic truck framed SUV.  Now, it is no more of an offroad vehicle than my outback is.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
Dodge Dart II chassis? 

Icky-poo.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »

I dunno - the low profile tires on our little car can be nearly "flat" before they show any sign of reduced air pressure.  =|

You have to check them with a gauge.

As far as the new "Cherokee", I think they should have called it the "Wannabee"  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
Another mall-terrain vehicle. Yay. (Where's the yawnicon?)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
Comsumer demand is what drives vehicle design, I guess not enough people demand a hard core off road vehicle from the factory.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »
No sir, I don't like it.  I always thought of a Cherokee is a classic truck framed SUV.  Now, it is no more of an offroad vehicle than my outback is.

The little cherokees were unibody.  The little comanche had a hybrid unibody front with framerails for the bed.

And now you know.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »

How is that a crossover?

An SUV is a station wagon body plunked onto a pickup truck chassis (basically).

A "crossover" is an econo-car chassis with a body (and advertising) intended to make it appear to be off-road capable.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »
An SUV is a station wagon body plunked onto a pickup truck chassis (basically).

A "crossover" is an econo-car chassis with a body (and advertising) intended to make it appear to be off-road capable.

This.

Most "SUVs" aren't, anymore, but just glorified cars/minivans.
JD